BASE OF SKULL pain, swelling (?)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by moreinfoplease, Sep 27, 2008.

1. moreinfoplease

moreinfoplease New Member

I have been having pain in the lower back part of my head and my upper neck, the base of the skull.

When I feel around the area, it feels larger on the left (where there is more pain) as compared the the right.

Could this area be swollen?

What could cause that?

I just read about myofacial pain, but am unclear if that would include swelling.

I am going to see a rheumatologist on monday for unrelated reason.

Would she cover such a question?

I am so used to getting treated as though I and my vaugue/strange symptoms are crazy by drs, I am trying to get a grasp on what is going on and how to best "present" it to the dr, so to minimize such a response.

So sad that we must deal with those issues, but they are realities.

Thanks for any help you can give.
  2. grace54

grace54 New Member

This seems to be where my fibromyalgia has settled, even though I am much better the last couple of months I have been suffering with this head/neck issue. I went to a chiropractor and it was helpful but it soon came back. I have also noticed that it flares when I am suffering from allergies. There is an inflamatory response with alergic reactions so I think there is a connection there at least for me.

I know what you mean by Dr's not understanding our issues and I have often thought that I was so unique in my pain and suffering until I came here. It is a helpless feeling that no one gets it and surely they won't be able to help me. I never did get any good answers from my local DR's so I continue to research. For what it's worth these pains come and go and move around and I just realised my neck/head pain was much better today. Such is fibro for me. Hopefully this too shall pass for you. Heat in this area helps. I also use massage but it seems when these muscles are flaring the relief is very temporary. Good health to you
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2008]
  3. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

That area at the base of the neck is a spot mapped out on the FM tenderpoints diagram. When FM is in a flare, the tenderpoints have a tendency to get 'bigger' or 'hurt' more. It's believed to be a build-up of lactic acid in that area.

Good luck!!!
  4. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

My back going up the back of my head, like tendrils spreading around the base of my skull. Very painful at times, but they always seem to go away. Not sure about the swollen part. Can't tell. If you are concerned it is something else, definitely tell your doctor what you are feeling.

Hope all turns out well.

Pat
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I'm not sure I'm spelling it right... My aunt had CFS symptoms, and she was finally diagnosed with Chiari's formation, or malformation, or something... It has to do with the opening in the bones at the base of the skull not being wide enough for the nerves and blood flow to pass through to the brain correctly. I am not remembering clearly the information my aunt gave me, but google Chiari's and maybe you'll find it.

My aunt had surgery to correct this, and it seems to have helped her a lot.

It might be worth checking out. Lots of love and prayers, Debbie
  6. moreinfoplease

moreinfoplease New Member

for your responses.

As always, it helps just to know that others have the same or similar symptoms.

It can be so confusing with vague symptoms, and changing symptoms. It is sometimes hard to figure out which are just part of the illness, and which are a red flag signs that should be reported to a dr asap.

I appreciate the feedback a lot.

(ps. I wanted to respond to each of your answers in more detail, but fatigue and brain fog are getting in the way)
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I have had alot of what you are describing for MANY years. However, now I also found I have arthritis and swell as chronic Myofascial pain. So, i just don't know which is which - but does it really matter (-: !! Not really ! Don;t know about flaring as it hurts almost all the time.

Hugs.

Granni
  8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i don't know about FM, but i believe many if not most cases of CFS is caused by infection of the brain and spinal cord.
  9. always ck with your dr. of course! But that pain is the reason I was put on lyrica, and it helped almost immediately, although I believe I was taking too high mgs. after awhile and am decreasing. Good luck.
  10. sunflowerxo

sunflowerxo New Member

That is exactly where my fibromyalgia set in first, the lower base of the skull and the lower back. It feels bruised in the back of the skull when I tough it and I'm getting headaches every other day....
  11. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I am sorry I have no advice on what is wrong. However when you are preparing to go to the doctors, always write a list of: all of your meds & doses, precise descriptions of your symptoms and all questions you want to ask.

I do this for every appt. for me, kids and hubby. I have found that the doctors take me a lttle more seriously, I don't waist any time and I have nast brain fo.

Good luck,
    Jenn
  12. joyousmom2

joyousmom2 New Member

This just started for me a few days ago and feels like the onset of a migrain. I use Advil for Migraines and an ice pack directly to the area. It seems to prevent the full Migrain from setting in. I had forgotten about the jaw soreness but that's shown up too. I'm sorry for your pain. I wish I had this whole group locally to share this disease with people who actually know for a fact that it exists!