Bath to help herxes

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by victoria, Jul 12, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I just read this, was authored by Dr. Jemsek and on the Canadian lyme site, canlyme.com about herxes:
    -----------------

"Given the miserable experience which we may exact on our patients during therapy, we would perhaps be better off if we followed the advice of Russell McMillan, DDS, DPH, who wrote the Arthritis Trust of America in 1994 with his personal remedy for the Herxheimer reaction.

“'I take a saltz bath which consists of adding 1 cup salt, 1 cup soda, 1 cup Epsom salts, 1 cup aloe vera, to a hot bath which I remain in and keep hot for about 1 1/2 hours all the while consuming about 2 quarts of warm water. Evidently the perspiration and osmotic pressure removes the causative toxins. I find it quite helpful' (117). Hey, sounds ok to us."

--------------

Haven't had my son try this, just read it myself... let us all know if anyone here tries it?

all the best,
    Victoria

2. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I've never tried that particular combination, but I do find that a hot epsom salt bath helps a herx for me and also relieves muscle pain a bit. I also drink ginger tea (sometimes while in the bath) to increase sweating -- I think it helps, too.

I read recently (no idea if this is true or not) that folks who have Bartonella should avoid magnesium, including epsom salt baths. I don't have Bart (that I know of, anyhow) and so haven't researched it any further -- just thought I'd throw that out there for you folks who might have it.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I think they are talking about baking soda (I paused on that one too!), would make sense as it is often part of therapeutic baths. the aloe vera is what was new to me, too. I find the epsom salt baths I've taken in the past to be calming/relaxing...

but found that adding hydrogen peroxide did cause sleep problems as Shirl warned. But what was weird was trying a hydrogen peroxide bath in the AM didn't help me wake up tho, either!

Zoe - where did you read that, about not taking magnesium or epsom salt baths if one has bartonella? This is what I'd read:
    "Bb and Bartonella need magnesium to duplicate and (so) deplete the host’s body rapidly. "

Ginger, mmmmmmmmmmm, a major component of my diet!

V

4. vp

vp New Member

I should buy stock in epsom salts!!!!
    I haven't tried using the other ingredients yet.

I take a bath every day in about a pound of it or so. It even helps calm my stomach down somehow. It helps more than anything else does for pain.

Another thing I do while in the bath is take a handful of the epsom salt, get it wet, and rub it on my face, chest, and arms where it is broken out. It seems to clean out the pores.