Bathing and pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Simoriah, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Simoriah

Simoriah New Member

I love soaking in a hot tub to relieve sore muscles, but the after-effects of the bath are so painful that bathing is pretty much out of the question at this point. Showers are better, but usually I still cannot stay in too long or I can feel it coming on, but since I can feel it starting, I can get out before it gets bad.

While I am in the tub, I am fine, but when I stand up to get out, my shins explode in an unbelieveable amount of pain. This is to the extent I cannot stand up or walk after, and it usually takes at least several hours to fade away.

Does anyone else have this problem? From what I could tell, most people find some relief from hot baths...

Sim
  2. Simoriah

Simoriah New Member

I love soaking in a hot tub to relieve sore muscles, but the after-effects of the bath are so painful that bathing is pretty much out of the question at this point. Showers are better, but usually I still cannot stay in too long or I can feel it coming on, but since I can feel it starting, I can get out before it gets bad.

While I am in the tub, I am fine, but when I stand up to get out, my shins explode in an unbelieveable amount of pain. This is to the extent I cannot stand up or walk after, and it usually takes at least several hours to fade away.

Does anyone else have this problem? From what I could tell, most people find some relief from hot baths...

Sim
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Shirl's Epsom salt/hydrogen peroxide soaks. She'll be along soon and can give you the details.

Love, Mikie
  4. rge

rge New Member

I also feel terrible after a bath or shower. But I have to take them or I will be in divorce court!

I also get tingling, prickling and itching. Sometimes it takes a day or two to feel better.

I wonder if it is something in the water that is causing it or is it just the heat or a combination?

Ron
  5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I thought I was alone with this. I am the same way. I've had pain with showers/baths for 5 years. I get an intense feeling of being stabbed by needles for about 45 minutes afterwards. It's so painful that I would rate it about a 9 on a scale of 10. It seems to be a combination of the heat,humidity, and the water pressure on my skin that makes it worse, so baths can be "slightly" less painful for me. I'm still trying to figure it out though. Sorry you also have this problem.
  6. Simoriah

Simoriah New Member

I thought I was alone with this bath/pain thing! Everyone seemed to be singing the praises of soaking in a hot tub! I can't wait to try Shirl's remedy, it is an incredible pain. But since showers are less painful than baths, at least I don't have to worry about the divorce court issue anytime soon! :)

Sim
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Try this and see if it helps;

3 bottles of peroxide (regular)
    3 cups of Epson Salts

Mix in water as warm as is confortable for you. Only stay for TWENTY MINUTES, as it makes you feel weak, but not sore.

Than lay down for half an hour, or go to bed for the night. It really relieves the pain, not a cure, but relief.

I do have a problem with the showers, I get dizzy, and it does feel like needles are striking my body! I can't wash my hair in the shower (like most people do), I get so disoriented I would kill myself falling!

I do keep a small heater in the bathroom, and I have one of those overhead heaters in the tub area, which helps keep me from getting a chill when I get out of the tub. That chill will make the pain horrible coming from the hot water.

Have you tired a small electric heater you can stand in front of when you first get out of the tub? I also hang the robe in front of it while I am soaking, so I can grab the warm robe as soon as I step out of the tub!

I know, it turns a bath into a production! (a 'maid' would be nice!). But it works.

Hope this helps, we all need a bath!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Shirl is right. I got a little portable heater that I turn on before getting in the shower. Having it really warm when I get out sure helps. Trying to lie down in the tub is like a comedy routine! I look like a seal trying to stay on a wet rock!
    I take showers and only as often as crucial because I'm exhausted after. Glad to know I'm not the only "dirty" one out there!