Bathroom Redo Is Done

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is still a wee bit of touchup on the paint but for all practical purposes, it's done. Whew! I've been really tired lately, so this has taken a lot out of me. I think I'll stop taking on these projects. Still, it's soooo gratifying when they are done.

I tore out the old nasty glass tub enclosure, the vanity top and faucet set, the TP dispenser, the towel bar, the full mirror and the medicine cabinet. I painted the old white formica vanity black and replaced the top with Kings Gold granite with a white sink already installed underneath. I replaced the old faucet set with brushed nickel. The new light fixture, waste can, TP dispenser, towel ring and towel bar all match the brushed nickel.

The old TP dispenser and towel bar were ceramic embedded into the walls. I had to cut them out and do drywall repair where they had been, along with the hole where the medicine cabinet had been. I put the new TP dispenser and hand towel ring on the side of the vanity. The walls are linen beige and look very rich with the granite and black vanity. I replaced the old flat wall mirror with a new beveled one in a heavy black frame. Finally, I bought chocolate brown towels and a shower curtain. They had done a bath in those colors on HGTV and I liked it. It's very rich looking.

I live in a condo and when they were built, everything was done in white. I left all the white bath fixtures and tile because they are like new. They seem to fit just fine with the black vanity, beige walls, and brown towels. This transformed an "empty canvas" into a more updated and more colorful bath.

Now, I think I'll rest; I've earned it.

Love, Mikie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering. Did you do the work yourself?!

I woulda posted earlier, but nowadays I have to wait to get a reply button.
    Sometimes hours, sometimes days.

Anyway it all sounds very nice. Do you have before and after photos? Maybe
    some ladies mag will want to do a story.

PS: grade school riddle: What kinda shoes do plumbers wear?
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I did every bit of the work except for carrying the vanity top/sink up the stairs to my condo and actually lifting it into place. My friends/neighbors helped me with that. I can install light fixtures and do simple plumbing and drywall repair. Plumbing is my least favorite thing. I was married to Mr. Home Improvement for 26 years and I took good notes :) I work a bit and I rest a bit. It takes me forever to do projects because I don't push myself too far. I have to conserve my energy for my job. Right now, it is keeping the wolf from the door without my having to tap into my savings, which I figure I'll need if I live as long as my Mom did.

I took some pics when I was demolishing what I took out of there but have no "before" pics. I really do love the effect and keep going in there just to look. I do think this will be my last project, though. It took too much out of me. It may be because I've never really recovered from that horrible bronchitis I had in Feb. The cough lingers on but that may be due to allergies. This has been a bad year for many people down here. Allergies would explain my lack of energy too.

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them. BTW, loved the joke. Did y'all know electricians do it without shorts?

Love, Mikie
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I got a reply button and signed in w/ no trouble. Amazing!

Well, you are super-duper woman if you can do all that. I am challenged by
    such tasks as changing a light bulb or inserting a battery. It doesn't help
    that modern electronic gadgets come w/ instructions in multiple languages
    but of no actual help.

I don't think I heard the electricians' joke before. Whenever we had guys at the
    office doing things w/ electricity I always asked them, "Have you ever been
    electrocuted?" They always said, "Yes." One young fellow said, "3 times".

I did hear "Attorneys do it in their briefs" a lot, but then I worked in a law office.

5. jole

jole Member

Thanks for making my day, guys!!!

Mikie, I would love to see your finished result sounds wonderfully beautiful!! And so much talent....I'm like Rock, can make a bed, that's about it!

I'm sure you will enjoy every minute in there just relaxing and admiring your handiwork....and hopefully get some rest now....yeah, right! It's amazing how far you've come with your health since I joined the board! Good for you!!!

Love ya....Jole
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I do not know how you do it. I certainly couldn't do what you did and have it lookk good. I need alot done in our bathroom. I also need to remove and put up new wall paper.. That is another big deal plus some painting. I hated the wall paper ever since we moved in about 10 or more years ago.

I also would like to change out some of the fixztures that are all stripped and getting old looking. They were gold plated looking but don;t look like it now. Glad you have so much NRG. I am lucky to be able to vacuum the house. - ugh !

Good job kiddo.

God bless,

[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2009]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you all for your sweet comments. A lot of this stuff is easy, or at least not that hard, once you do it. As I mentioned, I have the advantage of having been married to a DIYer. I can still call him for advice if I get stuck. If it's something I really need a professional for, I will call one in. If it's something that's just too big a pain in the rear, I'll call one. These big projects need to be broken down into managable steps. It takes me forever to do them, compared to "normal" people but I don't care. I'm in no hurry. Better to take my time than wear myself out.

Rock, I know most of those guys have been shocked multiple times. Some of them will try to wire hot if it's a simple job. I never do. Just a couple more jokes: Old pilots never die; they just can't get it up. Old seamstresses never die; they just can't mend straight (menstrate).

Thanks, Jole, I feel very blessed that I was able to find some treatments which have helped me to get to where I am. I'm not well but I am better than when I got here. I owe sooooo much to this board, PH, and our wonderful, sharing members.

Granni, I really don't have that much energy. As I mentioned, I have to do just a little and rest until I can get back up and do some more. I used to get overwhelmed and just not do anything. Then, I decided to take the long and winding road, even if it means it takes forever to get something done. Back when I was bedridden so much of the time, I bought a Roomba vacuum to at least keep some of the dirt off the floors. It isn't a heavy duty cleaner but it works well in between vacuuming with the big boy.

Wallpaper is frustrating to me. When I moved in here, that bath had HUGE bubble gum pink flowers on the wallpaper. The first thing I did was strip that off, along with the wizardy striped wallpaper in the kitchen. If one has vinyl wallpaper, the vinyl layer usually will strip off pretty easity. You can spray the paper still stuck to the wall with Windex and scrape it off. As far as fixtures, it's fairly easy to remove the old ones. You have to be careful to buy new ones which fit the sink holes. There are basically six inch, eight inch, and ones with the faucets and handles separate. Hooking up the water suppy with the flexible hoses is a snap. The hard part is if you need to take out the drain. Even then, though, it should line up with the existing drain pipes. It's when you install a new sink that you can end up with a drain which doesn't line up. They now make a flexible drain but it isn't the easiest thing to work with. I loosened the drain pipes and found a way to line them up with my new sink. Thank God! Good luck if you do the work.

Again, thanks to you all for your interest and responses. I really appreciate it.

It isn't easy to get much done on days I work. I usually don't try to do too much. Now and then on my day off, I need to just rest that day. It's always a balancing act.

Much love, gentle hugs, and prayers going out to you all.

Love, Mikie
  8. JimB51

JimB51 Member

You make me tired.
    Your bathroom sounds beautiful. Congratulations. Whew! Think I'll lie down now.

BTW .. I've never hired an electrician. I prefer removing my Own Shorts!

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ha Ha! You made me laugh. That's the best medicine. Thanks!

Shirl told me in an e-mail that she heard from you and it seemed that it was a real blessing for her. I'm sure it was. She said she only sent a short message. Her old computer screen keeps going black. She has a new laptop but no one in her family can get it to work. I don't know what kind of hookup they are trying to do but I think they only have dialup there. I told her to just get a long phone cord for the jack in the wall so she can move around and use that until they figure out something better. My guess is that they are trying to do wi-fi. I've been so busy with this project, working, and sleeping that I haven't called her. It's hard for me when I'm tired to be on the phone. My mind keeps trying to produce seizure activity. But I digress...

Thanks again for the laugh.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

How are you? Well, I hope. Thanks, it really does look nice, even if I do say so myself :)

I tried to post a pic on my profile but it still doesn't work. I've let PH know again. Before, when they tried, they couldn't get it to work either.

I'm glad the project is done but now, I have to catch up everything I've let go while I was busy doing it. The tools are all put away and the walk-in closet, where I keep all my tools, is cleaned out. I vacuumed and scrubbed the tile floors. Finally, I got out the carpet cleaner and cleaned it. It had a lot of ground-in soil in the traffic areas. It took forever but it looks so nice now. I'll probably be dusting for the rest of my life to catch up on that. Then, it'll be time to start all over again. Oy!

Good hearing from you.

Love, Mikie
  11. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Glad you had a good laugh.

... and thanks for info on Shirl.

YA , I did get an email from her two months ago. Sounded very happy to hear from me. She said her back was hurting so she would Email me more the next day. -She said "I Have a lot to tell you"!

No Email came tho so I sent a short email about a week later. Never heard from her.
    I didn't want to bug her - so I just let it go. (didn't want to seem like some kind of creepy guy).

I do wonder about her sometimes and what it was she was going to tell me about.

She still owes me three "hangins" (for teasing her). (I could use one about now).
    Well, it's good to know that you've been in contact with her.
    Thanks again Mikie.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Shirl would never think you creepy. She really likes and respects you. She said so in the one e-mail I received. Her bad back will not allow her to sit at the computer very long and the computer itself is dying. I still don't know what kind of setup they are trying to do with the laptop. It just doesn't seem right that no one can get it to work. Her kids and their friends are pretty computer savvy.

I hope they can get something working because Shirl is too isolated from her friends.

Love, Mikie
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Kudos to you Mikie for doing all that! Sounds like a great color combination.

IMHO it's best to keep most stuff white, I've been stuck with 1970s avocado/harvest gold in our house back in Georgia, and here I'm stuck with pink tiles in the bathroom and backsplash in the kitchen. Altho I am definitely going to replace the pink backsplash - the counters are done in black ceramic tile so not too bad. The owners weren't very imaginative with all this wonderful Mexican tile available, even if it'd just been plain vanilla.

And thanks, everybody, for making me laugh...

I did start painting the inside of our house here, starting with the great room (everything is a gold, rather tiresome in the whole house!). I got the living room end done over a few weeks, but then I fractured my r. shoulder. Painful, especially since I majorly bruised my bicep as well and dislocated the shoulder for a brief second(s)........ so now I need to work myself back into doing things.

SO I think part of my rehab will be to pick up the brush and do a little bit at a time less than before but... what do they say, a journey of 1,000 steps starts with the first one, or something like that. Nothing like the feeling of satisfaction in getting something accomplished.

And say hi to Shirl for me, I know all too well the feeling of isolation, at least internet isolation! I am SO happy I'm back online. I can't tell you how many times I had the impulse to 'compute' instead of 'commute' to say hi, talk to everybody, find info, etc., ad infinitum. Now I can balance sitting here online & resting with painting and other 'stuff' around here.

take care,

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's soooooo good to hear from you. But, I'm so sorry about your injuries and I pray you will be on the mend. Take it slowly when starting back into projects. I know only too well how seductive they can be. We have it within our power to actually make a so-so room beautiful (It's intoxicating :) I'm glad you're back online again. How's the weather down there? Probably about like ours here--hot and humid.

Have you had a chance to e-mail Nanna? I know she'd love to hear from you. They have had a mess with a room which sustained a bad water leak, leading to a mold problem. I know Shirl would love to hear from you too but I still don't know how often she gets to the computer to read who has e-mailed. If she saw your name, she'd likely read it.

My bath turned out so beautifully that I decided to go ahead and do the master bath. The towel bars and TP dispenser have already been changed out and the drywall repaired, so it won't be as big of a project. Also, I won't be removing the huge mirror or replacing the light fixture. I am just going to frame the mirror in black and paint the vanity black, like I did in the guest bath. Also, I learned a LOT doing the other bath. That will save a lot of time and effort because both baths have the exact same vanity setups. Projects are like childbirth. Once you see the beauty, you forget the pain.

My kitchen had water all over the floor this morning when I went in there. I hired a plumber to plumb a water filter and he obviously didn't know what he was doing. One of the plastic caps he used to attach some of the tubing from the filter has stripped it's threads. I can't get it to hold. I may see whether I can find a replacement part at a plumbing specialty store (Lowe's doesn't carry it) or get a plumber in here. Two of my valves have frozen in my plumbing so it's really time to get them fixed anyway. The hard part will be finding a plumber who is good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

While at Lowe's, I found a faucet set, like the one I put in the guest bath, for half price. I decided to get it in preparation for doing the master bath. When I checked out, there was a coupon on my receipt for $10 off my next purchase, so I went back and got the new granite vanity top/sink while I was there.

Fri., I shampooed the carpet, which had a lot of ground-in soil. After I finished, my left knee was killing me. It has been giving me some trouble for about six months but nothing like the teeth-grinding pain I had when I finished the carpet. It killed me at work on Sat. and was still hurting, but less so, yesterday and today. I called today to see the orthopedist and he scheduled arthroscopic surgery for the 21st. I had the right knee done about 1 1/2 years ago and it's still good (knocking on wood here :)

Soooo, I really need to get the master bath done before the surgery or it will have to wait until my knee is healed. Too much going on. I can't handle a complicated life anymore. Oh well, it'll all work out.

Sending gentle hugs, love and prayers your way.

Love, Mikie
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

Yes, I've talked with Nanna... (she always has some of the best jokes!).

I've actually also started back on my protocol now that the major part of problems with shoulder are over AND I've acclimated to the elevation here, I think I was just waiting to get back online to start back so at least I'd have a passive activity to do while herxing, LOL.

But speaking of plumbing and water issues, I sympathize; it's a major problem for us right now. The life of ground wells here is about 3 years before caving in (big rumbles from the avocado trucks going by plus 'natural' small quakes), for some reason nobody bricks them in. Drilling is expensive but may be necessary ultimately... but have to research the law first, used to be that a drilled well was by law open to any/everyone regardless, tho I've heard that's changed. Also the avocado orchards apparently are lowering the water tables because of their irrigating... :(

Anyway, we just bought a huge tank and now get water delivered... have to figure out how to shock it and where to put the bleached/plasticized water so it doesn't contaminate close-by wells. This was after our well caved in, plus having water delivered to our underground tank and losing most of it 2X, once after one of our dogs tried to dig up the gophers and bit thru a water line (this is a gopher sanctuary, I swear!) and also after a leak sprang in the overly 'fixed' plumbing coming out of the pressure tank, sigh.

Thankfully water's not too expensive, altho I haven't figured out cost/gallon so it makes sense to me; beginning to wish for the first time I had city water after 30 years of having a well in Georgia!

Not that we drink any of it anyway... we drink bottled water just like y'all do in Florida. Still we have to figure out a better way to filter it other than chlorine and a cheap paper filter, I hate taking a shower in it and hate washing my clothes in it - my clothing formerly known as black are mostly all sorts of shades of browns and purples now, sigh!

Ah the joys of home ownership of any kind!

TC, hugs!

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2009]
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Your water problems make mine seem like nothing. I have a filter on my fridge for the ice cubes and through-the-door water dispenser. I love it. I figured out that it costs about the same to replace the filter as it would to buy it bottled from the store. My neighbor has it delivered in those huge bottles. We don't have room for water softeners in these condos, so we just bite the bullet and clean the mineral deposits off everything. I use the Woolrich detergent for dark clothes because I have to wear black slacks to work. They fade. I would like to dye them but hesitate to put dye in my new front loader with the stainless tub.

At least, we are out of our drought. It has been raining cats and dogs here. I'll take that every time over the hurricanes. Don't know if I could handle volcanoes on top of everything else :) Shirl says they are in a drought in LA and desperately need rain. We use ground water here for our sprinkler system. It stinks like rotten eggs-sulpher. When I visited the Fountain of Youth over in St. Augustine, they offered me a drink. I took one sip and spit it out. Again, rotten egg smell. GAG!

I went to our condo mtg. at the pool this morning and two of my neighbors were giving out fruit. I got an avocado and a mango. There are trees all over the place down here. Free food tastes better.

Think my daughter is going to come down for my surgery. This will be the third in three years--both knees and my gallbladder. She wants to leave Andy at home if my SIL can trade flights and be home with him. If not, she'll bring him down too. I know she would love to get away from mommyhood for a bit but I would love to see him too. Either way, it makes the surgery more bearable (and, it's not a bad surgery to begin with).

Again, great to talk with you. We've really missed you here.

Love, Mikie
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

Not only free, but --the fact it was FRESH I'm sure made a difference. I just bought some Pithaya (hope I spelled that right). The outside is thorny looking (well it does come from a Sonoran desert cacti) but inside it looks as red as a watermelon but with tiny seeds like a kiwi, and tastes very much like kiwi. It was $$ as it is grown so far away, but worth it for a slightly different taste!

Happily the volcanoes here don't erupt, it's a very old range...

Altho that "new" volcano that erupted in a farmer's field in the 1940s is maybe 60-80 miles as the crow flies - at least it's not considered very volatile. That volcano is why we didn't consider the Colima area which is very beautiful.

We 'just' get occasional small quakes.... actually we're sort of close to the San Madreas (sp?) fault that runs thru California, so if that happens I'm sure we'll feel it. I am somewhat calmed by the fact that there are so many buildings in the cities here that are 300-500 years old and haven't cracked at all.

Again, good luck with your surgery, and hope you have a good visit with your daughter (with or without Andy!).

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2009]
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Or as safe as any of us can be. When I lived in CO, we did vacations to Mexico. Then, I discovered FL and decided to vacation here until I moved in '97. I do like living in a warmer climate, even when it's as hot as it is here right now.

Holly told me she was able to paste a pic of my new bath redo in my profile so guess I'll check it out.

I had my MRI this afternoon. I worked four hrs. this morning. That, and having to hold the leg perfectly still for 40 mins, has left me in pain. Just took an excedrin.

Hugs and prayers coming your way.

Love, Mikie
  19. victoria

victoria New Member

the picture is there! VERY very nice, very sophisticated looking! Just the inspiration I need.

(I also just glanced at your bio - you won't have to change much, looks like it was written just after your 1st knee surgery...)

20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Guess it's time to update. The years are whizzing by.

Love, Mikie