Battery-operated heating pad recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msmelharmon, Feb 16, 2011.

1. msmelharmon

msmelharmon New Member

I work as a secretary at a desk all day. I do have the ability to get up and move around/stretch as needed, but what I'd really need is to have some heat on my mid/lower back during the bad days. I can't use a heating pad with a cord because we're overloaded as is on electrical...even plugging in the pencil sharpener can blow a fuse. So, I'm looking for a battery-operated heating pad. Did the Google search but there are so many companies and options. Anyone have any recommendations....or warnings....about companies to use/avoid or a specific recommendation for a cordless heating pad? I don't care if it's the type that belts on to me or not, just as long as it's cord-free. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more answers... but maybe many of us are ignorant they are even available. I didn't know myself.

Let us know what product you decide on and how it works for you? Thanks...
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

The only thing I know about heating pads is that my doctor gave a big thumbs down when I was pregnant because apparently heating pads emit magnetic fields. I did not like the way that sounded even post-pregnancy so I have never used it.

Would you consider using those heated sticky pads that they sell in the drug store? I got alot of relief with those. It comes in a large sheet, and you can cut it to the desired size needed. You peel it back and place the sticky side against the skin. Within seconds it starts to feel warm, and it gives alot of pain relief. Removing it is a bit trickier, you have to take care not to rip your skin removing it. Since it is paper thin, it fits very comfortably under your clothes, and its virtually undetectable even under the thinnest sweater or blouse. If you can't find it, ask the pharmacist. Hope this helps!!

4. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm not sure how it works with a battery run heating pad, but I did use a gaussmeter to check my regular heating pad. It had much more than a background reading at the in-line switch, but quickly reduced within inches to the same as background readings before the line reached the pad. I'm not sure how a battery operated one would read. But, that is why I've never used an electric blanket (tho now they have some that are supposed to be lower).

A simple gaussmeter is easy to use, cheap, and a good way to check one's house (equipment, switches, outlets, etc) in any case for safety. I did find that one needs to stand at least 4 feet from a microwave when it is running!

There are some gaussmeters combined with a meter for microwaves. I don't have anything to check for microwaves and not sure about how microwaves may or may not diminish with distance.... I have learned to keep my cellphone in the other room however as speakers of any kind pick up the frequencies on a regular basis otherwise even if I'm not getting a call.

I know some people have direct sensitivities to these, but as usual I'm not one. After living in the country in Mexico where we could rarely get a cell phone call, and the gaussmeter read the lowest possible reading, I still didn't feel any different... :( Tho that was not the reason we moved there.

Sort of got on another topic, but just wanted to respond to lgp's post, for whatever mine is worth LOL.

[This Message was Edited on 02/17/2011]