Battle with Chronic Fatigue - Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by golferdame1, Sep 15, 2005.

1. golferdame1

golferdame1 New Member

I'm new to this, but not new to chronic fatigue. I've battled with this since I had mono about 9 years ago. I have had a recent re-occurrence of the mono virus which exacerbated the fatigue I thought I had under control. I am on so much medication, blood pressure medication, mood stabilizer, effexor, provigil, just to stay awake and moving. What else can I do to eliminate the fatigue. it is so bad that most days, I go home from work and simply go right to bed. I can only handle a certain amount of stress, my threshold for things has surely decreased. Help, please. Am I not on the right medications? Some days, I feel pretty good, but some days, I feel so awful I could just die. I hate the thought of wondering in the morning just exactly how am I going to feel that day. My allergies are horrible. I'm just a mess.
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

The only way to deal with this is to pace yourself i.e. rest after each short activity. You obviously can't do this whilst working.

It sounds as if your job is detrimental to your health. Your health can & will get worse if you continue like this.

Is there any way that your doctor can support you giving up work, or even reducing your hours? Can you claim any sickness benefits if you do?
  3. golferdame1

golferdame1 New Member

My day starts at 5:00 a.m., and I actually begin at 8:00 a.m. I work all day until 5:00 p.m. I work in an office, a very busy, sometimes stressful environment. As much as I do try to pace myself, the day sometimes totally wears me out, but I don't know how I've done it. I don't know that not working is the answer for me, becuase there are good days too and I am by myself.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

You are not alone in feeling this way. Many of us have gone through this. It is hard to hear but important to realize that there is no cure for this but there are things that can help us so don't be discouraged.
    I was in a busy stressful job and was able to negotiate part-time work for a while but eventually that became too much and I had to go on disability. One of the things they do know about CFS is that pacing yourself and getting treatment early means that you have a better chance of significant improvement.
    If there is any way you can take some time off or even better, move to part-time, I think it might help. Then try investigating FFCs or other types of treatments.
    You will learn a lot being on this board. There is a wealth of experience here.

Take Care

Kathy.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2005]
  5. golferdame1

golferdame1 New Member

I have an appointment to see a rheumatologist. Hopefully, there are some things they can teach me about my diet and dealing with chronic fatigue syndrome. I don't believe I am eating the proper foods. Some days, I feel so good, it's almost too good to be true, and just like yesterday, I thought I was going to roll over and die. I went straight home and went to bed at 7:00. WHat types of foods are good for CFS?
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

Gotta love your name. Don't like golf much do you? LOL

I have been doing a mountain of research on CFS effect on the HPA axis ... and resulting hormone abnormalities.

Have you had your hormones checked? Not necessarily based on traditional ranges, but low enough to make life tough. More people are looking into this and seeing some areas of improvement in their energy levels.

Many of the FFC patients can tell you more about this and what hormones were tested.

Take care,

Elsa