BBC Health News --- Sleep 'Cleans' The Brain of Toxins

Discussion in 'Memory & Cognitive Function' started by Waynesrhythm, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

The US team believe the "waste removal system" is one of the fundamental reasons for sleep.

Click on picture below for entire article:

[​IMG]

The brain uses sleep to wash away the waste toxins built up during a hard day's thinking, researchers have shown.
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Very interesting articles, Wayne - and I guess a little scary for many of us who tend to have such disturbed sleep!

I'm doing a new protocol now for sleep which has been working for 7 days - it feels too good to be true, I keep waiting for it to stop working, but so far so good -

I've doubled the calcium and magnesium I was taking about 2 hours before bed, also take 1 HCL capsule with it to help absorb it, also take 200 mg. l-theanine (which I've done for a long time), and 100 mg. 5-htp (which I've also done for a long time), but the big thing is I'm now taking Natrol sublingual melatonin - 3 mg. about 1/2 hour before I want to go to sleep - and each night it knocks me out within 40 minutes or so. Then I sleep pretty well for close to 4 hours, then wake up, take 1 mg. lorazepam and 1/2 of the 3 mg. Natrol melatonin lozenge, and am back to sleep within 1/2 an hour and sleep soundly for another 4 hours. I'm actually thinking of either cutting the 1/2 mg. melatonin to 1/4 mg. in the middle of the night, or only take 0.5 mg. lorazepam, as I am a little drugged now when I wake up, but not bad. So I've slept soundly now 7 nights in a row and the chief difference is the sublingual melatonin. Although I think the increased calcium and magnesium with the HCL is helping too.

I've been taking melatonin for many years and having sleep difficulties most of the time but this sublingual stuff really works!

Mary
    Waynesrhythm likes this.