BBC News: Pain should be viewed as a disease

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fight4acure, Feb 28, 2010.

1. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Please read!!! This is showing more signs that people and doctors are changing every day, even if it is slightly 100 years ago that they should've known this by now, lol.

See BBC News website posted above on this thread/post.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thanks for posting this - good article.....good timing, too - I was about to start a thread asking if you were still around - sorry this is OT, but I hope things are going well (any news re moving?)
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Strange that this is coming out of the UK which doesn't take the pain from ME too seriously, it seems.... numerous studies in US and elsewhere show most pts are undermedicated for pain, but to no avail. In the 1990s there was even some sort of directive in the US to give pain meds, but it hasn't helped much. I know so many people who suffer.

I never heard about that' some see a benefit' to suffering? An expectation of a stoic approach. yes, but not a benefit. What, it's supposed to make one stronger somehow while it makes one incapable of dealing with life in general?

"As God Wills It' would be a somewhat easier approach to bear, common in many places, being resigned to one's burden, rather than expecting a benefit.

But it's still a crime to let people suffer needlessly, which is done in most if not all countries.

Hope your move is coming together, Fight!

All the best,

4. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I looked into intractable pain, and found lots of info online. I sure do hope that the treatment of pain is getting more attention!

5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I've been busy planning my move, although it's not to TN yet. That may be in a year or two, or sooner if I can help it. Me thinks me is staying in the same stupid county, in the same cold state, in the same USA, in the same world, on the same earth. I know, how boring is that! I guess I like torture.

Got to make this short. I was going to ask others if you were still around, lol!

I'll be posting one hour a week until I get things settled down, like in 30 days from now.

Fight :)
  6. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Yes, that shocked me too! I was thinking that maybe it would've happened in the US first, but then again, look at the USA track-record of dealing with patients and pain effectively and efficiently,... not as good as the UK, in general (all types of illnesses with pains that is).

Yes, I don't understand why it is that people who do not suffer much if any pain think that those who do suffer should "man-up" (for men) or "quit whining" (for women)." It is simply not right. It should be a crime!

Then there are some (not all) reformed drug addicts, like one of my brothers, who thinks that the meds I take are freely given to anyone who "claims" they are in pain, and that he could go to a doc and get a prescription for whatever meds I have, easily. He wanted to debate this with me, but I did not bother. His IQ is well trashed after all of his partying over the years. I realize that their opinion is that "we're" drug addicts, wanting meds, not needing them. There's a big difference. What he doesn't know is how hard it is for those of us with CFS and FMS to get ANY type of meds for treatment, let alone get a half-way decent doctor who doesn't think its all in your head. So I don't talk to that brother much about my health or medicines, or much of anything else, because not everyone is as conniving and abusive as he is.

Well, I have been on here longer than an hour and I've got one more to respond to before logging off.

7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I wish they would too. They've done some really stupid studies in Madison, Wisconsin, and found some gullable folks with Fibromyalgia, who have claimed that a TV monitor playing music and sound waves allowed her body to recover, almost completely. They did another one about something, and I cannot remember much of it because I try to put that non-sense out of my mind, but I'm so tired of Madison Wisconsin and their University hospital Psychology majors continuing to try to make Fibromyalgia a mental disease. it's not just the university hospital either, but DeanCare too! I've called them up a few times just to chew on some you know whats... telling them that they're stupid, by questioning their logic, or lack of.

8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

funny you were going to ask about me, too : )

I have not been posting as much as I used to bc I have been crashing quite a bit and bc I am tired of the negativity on here of late......I have no problem with debating things, and I do not usually get personally offended by even some of the more rude things people say, but I am finding that replying to such things just takes more energy than I have rt now & I'd rather spend what little energy I do have on more constructive things

and I have been trying to find a better place to move, as well.....and so far its looking like I am going to be stuck here for awhile longer, too