BBC TV program on leeches for pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ephemera, Nov 21, 2002.

1. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Tonight I saw a BBC TV news program on the effective use of leeches to control pain for those suffering from osteoarthritis. Has anyone in Britain used this form of pain relief? I tried their website but couldn't find today's news, only older material.

The news was also that the saliva of leeches was good for pain & that a compnay in the US would soon be testing the leeches.

The thought gives me the creeps, but so does pain.

Best thoughts to all.
  2. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Tonight I saw a BBC TV news program on the effective use of leeches to control pain for those suffering from osteoarthritis. Has anyone in Britain used this form of pain relief? I tried their website but couldn't find today's news, only older material.

The news was also that the saliva of leeches was good for pain & that a compnay in the US would soon be testing the leeches.

The thought gives me the creeps, but so does pain.

Best thoughts to all.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am really into old fashioned remedies, but this is going way too far back to suit me! Those things are too disgusting!

I never hear of them stopping pain, only sucking blood.

That is scary to say the least.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. sybil

sybil New Member

so far no one has offered me a leech!!
    i have enough trouble getting conventional treatment.

leeches are used experimentally in some hospitals.they are probably used for pain after surgery,or for cancer patients mainly.i have osteoarthritis,but i can't see them handing leeches out on prescription!!...not that i would refuse,i would try anything!

i personally can't see why some creature sucking your blood would help osteoarthritis,as the condition doesn't have anything to do with blood.or maybe the leech has some other sort of properties we don't know about!

another thought.......the pain of the leech sucking on you,may distract you from the pain in your bones......only joking!!!

sybilxxx