BCT!! Another Humboldt County resident...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, Jul 8, 2005.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I was really amazed when I read that someone else lived here. In which town do you live? I live in Eureka, and I have lived here since 1961...my family moved here, they left, and I stayed...grown up, you see.

I just mentioned the trees and the airport. Interesting to find you. Hope you see this post.

2. bct

bct Active Member

It was nice to see another person on this message board from Hum. Co.

I've lived here on the road to Shelter Cove since 1973. I live in the woods and am concerned that I might have chronic (and therefore difficult to diagnose) borreliosis.

When did your FM begin? Do you have a good doctor? My mother has severe FM, so I know how it can wreck your life and bring on depression, just as CFS can --- which is what I have.

Hope to hear back from you!

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Yes, I know your area, and if you're in the woods, who knows what you might have. I am not familiar with the disease you mentioned first, so I can't comment. I have known others with CFS and it is truly disabling. How are you doing? I'll bet the long, rainy winters are a bit depressing for you...they are for me. Our area is beautiful, but it does have its drawbacks.

I have FM and was diagnosed by my PCP about 2 years ago. She is of the mindset that FM exists, but you need to just exercise to get better. Thankfully, I think, I have arthritis in my back, so she continues to give me Vicodin for that as I don't know how I would survive without it.I also was hypothyroid which is probably what brought it on...who knows. I just know that this last two years have been a real challenge to just live as normally as possible. I don't always succeed.

I have an appointment with Dr. Dietz...an internist or a rheumy, I'm not sure which. He is listed as a RH. guy, but his office is an internal medicine group. We'll see...by the way, the appointment is August 4th. I am interested in what he has to say, to see if it truly is FM or what.

I also have had clinical depression and an anxiety disorder for eight years now, so I guess I'm just a big bundle of which came first!

How about your doctor? Mine are in Eureka, and if I think this new doc is good, I'll let you know.

So glad to find someone in our area to exchange information with. My best to you as you continue your journey down this weary road of illness. Hope there are some bright spots often! Whatever I find out about docs here or other things, I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for answering my note.

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

The housing is less than in Davis, but most things are a bit higher...well, not that much. It is a lovely area, but the winters are long, dark and rainy. The summers are cool...The roads out are not all freeways, and it is a drag to go anywhere. I've done it for over 40 years, and it is still challenging, but nothing like 40 years ago! AAGH!

That being said, it is a beautiful place to live. Many people are moving here in the last few years, and if they can endure the rain, they will stay most likely. It is a small city...28,000+ in Eureka city limits, and many more in the outlying areas. Arcata has about 10,000. There aren't any traffic jams (well, amybe some during the work on/off hours), but nothing at all like down south. I could never live there. Also, the lines in the stores are not like those down south, either...just a bit slower. Humboldt County only has 160,000 people total. A rural area.

Humboldt has its troubles as our industries have been taken away for many reasons. There is much trouble with drugs of all kinds...especially alcohol, pot, and meth. We have homeless, and our county has a very high % of crime for its population. So, it's a give and take. I know all these things are everywhere, but some things are worse here.

I love this area, but we are moving when we retire mainly because of the weather and the road access. I need more sun as I have clinical depression along with the DD, and the small town we will move to is right on I-5. That will make a much easier drive to see our family, etc.

So, it's your choice. Maybe you should spend some time here in the area during the different seasons.

Best wishes for a great retirement!
  6. bct

bct Active Member

Borreliosis is Lyme disease.

How do you cope with your depression and anxiety? I've had bouts of depression for years, since my teens, and have taken many different anti-d's. Unfortunately I can no longer tolerate the SSRI groups at all, although I used to take prozac. For anxiety I take Valium or Xanax.

My primary care doc. is in So. Hum.
    I also see Drs. in Eureka (Gastro., Onco., Neuro., Uro., and Infectious disease.)

I don't know Dietz; hope you find him/her good. Is he with Eureka Internal Medicine? Most of mine are.

Best wishes to you.

7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Well, now that is tricky sometimes. I have been taking antidepressants for 8 years now, but I know that I was depressed long before that...I just had a breakdown then.

I'm taking Effexor XR now and have for about 2 1/2 years. It has been a great med as it stopped my migraines almost completely...wonderful. I still can have some, but nothing like before...2-4 a week. Awful. I think I am slipping, though, as I have no interest in anything anymore, and furthermore, I don't even care. So, who knows? I have to see a gastro, rheumy, and psychiatrist in the next month, so we'll see what happens.

Yes, I believe Dr. Dietz is in Internal Medicine...are there many doctors of different specialties in that location? Kind of anxious about the visit as I just don't really know what to say to him...I feel awful.

About anxiety...I take Klonipen and Ativan for it. Ativan is for breakthrough and Klonipen is an everyday med. Effexor is said to help with anxiety, also. I am better in that area than before which is wonderful. But, it sneaks up on me and WHAM! There goes my sense of wellness.

Have you been dx with Lyme's? Is there a treatment? Just learning about all these new conditions, not that I ever wanted to...! (-:

Take care. Effexor has seratonin and noreph.....Don't know how to spell it, but it's one of the other brain chemicals. How about some of the older antidepressants? Do they work? Some of the side effects of those are awful.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Another thing...!I have a full spectrum light I use in the winter. I sit and drink coffee, read paper in the morning for 1/2 hour under it...it's just a floor lamp but they come in many styles. It has helped. Nothing like sunlight to help.

9. rossman

rossman New Member

Greeting neighbors. I too live in Humboldt Co (Arcata). I am 3rd generation Humboldt Co and have lived here most of my life. I have had moderate-severe ME/CFS for 17 years now. I know there are many people here with ME/CFS but they are not easy to find for some reason. I have tried numerous times to create a local support community, but I never get any takers. My last GP in this area, Dr Basch, was most knowledgeable about this disease but she has moved from the area. Dr Copeland is the one to see now. There may be others that I' unaware of since I have been with Dr Peterson in Tahoe for the last couple years.<BR>
    I just wanted to say hi to my neighbors. Let me know if you know others in this area interested in connecting. <BR>
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/31/2010</i>]
  10. bct

bct Active Member

Nice to meet another Humbodter. Fivesue moved to Redding a few yrs. ago. I live in SoHum. I agree that a support group would be great, but I don't know how to herd cats! I would like, however, to communicate with others with CFS locally. Any Ideas?&lt;BR&gt;