Be alert about new symptoms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jacampbell, Apr 20, 2006.

1. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

My neighbor has FM also and she was having arm pain but thought nothing of it because she is always in pain. It finally got so bad that she went to the ER and she had actually had a mild heart attack.

Don't just assume that a new pain if from FM or CFS.
  2. atpeace

atpeace New Member

I tend to do that, too. I'm so used to just dealing with or ignoring pain and fatigue (and all the other stupid FMS symptoms), that it's crossed my mind that I could be ignoring something that's NOT about FMS.

For example, several years ago my knees were really bothering me. I ignored it for months and months. I finally mentioned it when I was at the Rheum. office for a routine FMS visit. He determined that my knee pain had nothing to do with fibro...it was a cartlidge problem. He gave me some super-duper anti-inflammatories for it. They worked for several years.

I'm back to having very painful knees again, but at least I know it's not the fibro. When I go see an orthopedist for them (eventually, I will!), I'm not gonna mention that I have FMS. I'm afraid he won't take me seriously if I do. How sad is that?

Lori
  3. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

that we can not be honest about this "syndrome". Sometimes I will mention it in passing in a conversation and people look at me like I just grew another head.
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...it is so easy to blame everything on FM! I said for years, someday I'm really going to have something more serious and never be aware of it.

I had an ongoing fever recently. Turned out to be leukemia. Thankfully, my primary care doctor took me seriously, and within days I was diagnosed & starting chemo. I have great oncologists now, getting great care....a long way to go, but doing well.

It's true, things like cancer, heart disease, diabetes can be overlooked when, with FM, we are always getting new, strange symptoms, and are always wondering. Sometimes, it really does need to be checked out!

Good reminder, jacampbell!

Hugs,
    Pam