BE CAREFUL OF ANTIDEPRESSANTS....please read new reply

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by myalgiamania, Sep 5, 2006.

1. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

in the last two years, i have been prescribed anti-depressants for the most rediculous reasons.

1. i have extreme anxiety and was prescribed lorazapam for about 10 years. it has saved my life. i take 1mg 3 times a day. because we moved i had to see new doctors. they told me i should get off lorazapam and go on anti-depressants. i am not clinically depressed except for normal to maybe excessive depression due to circumstances that have happened in my life.
    i can control my depression in a variety of ways that don't include medication.

2. since i have been diagnosed with fm, i was given cymbalta which is also an antidepressant. everyone i have ever tried made me feel strange, sick, unbalanced, etc. i will never take them again.

3. IT IS IMPORTANT TO listen to what has been going on with sister ended up in the psyc ward because of them. she is ok now. basically they experimented with many antidepressants until they found one that worked for her. lately she has complained to me that after taking this one for a year or so she is getting manic.

antidepressant don't instantly change your life and make you happy and carefree. doctors need to stop giving them out like candy...especially to people that don't need them

[This Message was Edited on 09/06/2006]
  2. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

I wasn't trying to insult anyone that takes anti-depressants, because i know many people that need to take them.

I don't have the same conditions as you do and i wouldn't expect your doctor to prescribe lorazapam to you for anxiety, when you have depression.

If i don't have my anxiety medicine, i cannot function. i too have teenage boys, and i need to raise them without falling apart at the seams.

i suffered a severe trauma as a teenager and knowone was there to help me. it took 20 years of dealing with all kinds of phobeas...and self treatment to finally learn how to handle severe panic attachs.

after an accident, and more trauma i was blessed with a very good and caring doctor who treated my symtoms correctly. unfortunately i moved and had to sift through all of the bad doctors until i found some really great ones that spend the time to understand my condition.

i was also misdiagnosed many times until i finally got diagnosed with fibro.

3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...depression is only one of them. They certainly are not right for everyone.

A couple of them are prescribed for neuropathic pain associated with Diabetes and some other conditions. Effexor and Cymbalta come to mind. Not all anti-depressants will work for this.

My husband had an almost 100% improvement in his horrible, years-long debilitating pain from diabetic neuropathy by using Effexor. This pain had caused him to stop exercising completely because of the burning pain in his feet. He now hikes, bikes, walks and has just started running again---all activities any doctor, natural or traditional, would recommend to keep diabetics fit.

He is well-aware of the side effects some ADs can cause (he hasn't suffered any) and the problems with withdrawal.

Some people have had bad experiences with ADs---since each person is his own best advocate, I would say, if you've had problems, then certainly do NOT use them. But they can be a godsend for others. We are all individuals, and each situation is different.

4. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

HUGS TO YOU TOO PAM. (my husband is a diabetic and it is not that severe yet but he is the type of person that would probably do very well on anti depressants. Good to know they worked for your husband!!!)

i am sorry if anyone thought i was critisizing them for takeing anti-depressants.

for me they were awful and i am worried about my sister right now. she calls me almost every day with problems from them. Her baby girl died at one and a half years old the day after Christmas. she was trying to get out of her crib and her pajamas got caught and she strangled. this happened about 12 years ago.

she has been through so much grief and she has complained about the doctors she has been seeing. Annie has held so much inside for so long and really never started getting treatment for depression until about two years ago.

unfortunately she lives in Massachusetts and i live in florida. we are nine years apart but VERY close.

i love my baby sister and just want her to be ok. i'm hoping to get her down here so i can take her to some of the great doctors i have found.

5. midnite1

midnite1 New Member

well i agree with others and u different meds for different ppl .. i along with others cannont take anti dep
    due to they effect me the same way (unbalanced, strange, even felt like i belonged in a instutution). i have tried others they now won't even try anymore .. i ended up being suicidal etc. So yes talk well with your dr. (open, honest, communication), and be honest with yourself. YOu will find the right meds for you. a/d can be dangerous as well as helping someone. It all depends on your metabalism and what your problem and needs are. Hands up for those who take them and they work .. hands up to those who can't take them and know it.
  6. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

sorry to hear about the problems you had with anti-d, what do you take now. maybe i could recommend something different to my sister.

i would appreciate any input. It is amazing that my sister has survived this long without something more devistating happening to her. i can't imagine going through the death of a child...very sad.

God Bless!
  7. matthewson

matthewson New Member

There is a lady called beadlady that posts here and maybe donneil got you confused with her and thought you were beadlady. I don't think she meant anything by calling you that.

Whenever anything is posted about ant-D's you will always get people who absolutely detest them and also people who were helped immensely by them. Myself, I was helped immensely by them, but we are all different and they should not be taken lightly, that is the crucial message I think you were trying to get across.

Thank you for the post. Sally
  8. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

i understand now...i am a very sesitive person and inclined to have guilt trips....must be from 12 years of Catholic!!!!!!!!!!!

i was also very upset with many of these doctors. i'd try to talk to them...and they would be rushing out of the door to see the next patient while i was still trying to ask them questions. i'd be lucky to have 5 minutes of their precious time.

one doctor actually put words in my mouth saying "you must have arthritis because all of your pain is in your joints"
    "it couldn't be fibromyalgia"

i never said i had pains in my joints... i told her i had very bad all over body pain. at that time i had never heard of fibro, but that's when i started to consider it. after that i went to see a reumy dr. Thank GOD!!!!!

I appreciate your reply. God Bless!
  9. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Bless ALL the people who wrote in to say they don't deal really well with a'ds!!

Okay, bless all the others who can stand those things, too. I'm feeling like being even-handed today.

I've gone around that guinea-pig wheel, the "Let's Try THIS" school of medical treatment lots of times.

Even the newdoc I raved so at the beginning of our acquaintance suggested I dive into a'ds when I told him I was incredibly depressed because of this d'.

Without paying any or much attention to the file notes I had given him re allergies/sensitivities, especially as to a'ds the guy wanted to put me on Lexapro or some such purposely-forgotten-by-me thing.

"Oh," I smartmouthed back to him, "so you WANT me to look anorexic and feel suicidal?"
    "No," he claimed...."I want you to feel better." Poor lil guy actually looked hurt/confused.

Hey, isn't Reading A Patient's File Info a required course at med school? If it isn't, it should be.
  10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I can't handle the stuff myself, I run the other direction. I handle my PTSD VERY well with counseling.

Some suffer permanent damage (neurological) from these meds. Listen to your instinct.
  11. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I've been dx'd bipolar two for about 8 years now from major depression for about 30 years.

For the first time in about 16 years, I am preparing to go off my antidepressant, because I have less of a problem with the depression and more of a problem with going into mania with the AD's.

At the same time I am transitioning up on a different mood stabilizer, Lamictal. The previous mood stabilizer I was on (Trileptal) caused interference with my thyroid function and I had to go off it.

When I was younger, depression was my main problem. Now that I'm "middle age" mania is the name of the game. I told my psych. that I feel like an artificial person. I need medication to make my body sleep. Then I need medication to combat the crushing fatigue that daytime brings.

It's an uphill battle and sometimes I just get sick of "Hang In There" ya know?

Madame Curie
  12. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

i actually went to one doctor that gave me a pack of antidepressants and i never ever told him i was depressed....
    what the heck!!!!!!!!!!!

i took them cause i thought i needed them, after all he's the doctor, and started feeling all weird.

i stopped taking them and went to several other doctors...all of which said that anti depressants could really change my life. yeah, they could make me crazy lol!

thank God i didn't listen. i am happy with what i am taking.
    ...i am also glad i stopped seeing the doctor that wanted me to cut my medication in half...

doctor's are only human after all...we have to listen to our own bodies.

God Bless...I hope everyone is feeling good today.
  13. GeeFibroGirl

GeeFibroGirl New Member

Hey Guys,
    I have taken all sorts of anti-depressants so I know the dilema of all those "weird feelings". Sometimes you just have to give it time, (a month at least) and sometimes they start you off with too much or too little. The Dr. doesn't know your body as well as you so you do have to be your own advocate. But also remember that drugs that are prescribed for one thing can also be used for other conditions. Some for pain, some for anxiety, some for OCD, some for depression, PTSD, epiletic, etc. Its almost like a hit & miss kind of disease we have. It takes us forever to get a diagnosis and then another forever to find a good medical plan for us. Dr's are still shooting in the dark with this disease and we just have to stay on top of things to help keep them straight. My Dr really listens to me because they know I do my homework and I bring in articles all the time. I also keep a journal of med's and my reactions to them. When I got off Effexor I wanted to kill myself everytnight I went to sleep. But I told my husband and he kept an eye on me and I kept telling myself it was only the drug and it would pass. It was the worse side effect I ever had because I'd been on it for 5 years.
    This is a tough disease and still so unknown in the medical field. Some Dr's still won't accept it. I had a Dr. that made me cry everytime I went to see him. He told me it was all in my head and if I'd just lose weight it would solve all my problems. I left him that day!!!

Good luck...may God bless us all!!
  14. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I believe as you do, and you pretty much nailed it. Well said. Hugs, Chelz.

PS, we need to be careful of these drugs, I know from first hand experience.
  15. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

MAybe some of the problem is when he took you off the anxiety med.Maybe you are having withdrawals from the medicine that did work. Ruthie
  16. karenraye

karenraye New Member

-ressants. I've had bad side affects from Cimbalta and lyrica and just had a relative try to commit suicide while taking a high dose of Lyrica. I had had very serious side affects from many ADs, but I have to say I can't live a normal life without the one I finally found that works. Zoloft works for me.
  17. greatgran

greatgran Member

I feel the same about xanax, that is what I have been taking the past 6 or more years, 3 times a day, everyday.

Have tried so many antidepressants, just can't take them.

I feel the reason docs push AD's instead of anti-anxiety meds is Pharm. companies, pushing the darn drug.

Now, I have seen AD's help many with depression but not much with anxiety.

Can relate to everyword you are saying but don't have an answer.

If I ever lose this doctor not sure what will happen to me and my xanax.

God bless,