Be Proactive In Your Search For Solution!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by techno, Aug 13, 2005.

1. techno

techno New Member

I have a sugestion.....

For every 15 minutes we spend in a Doctors presence trying
    to get a diagnosis or treatment for our FMS/CFS....
    We spend 150 hours reading books on FMS/CFS and studying
    web sites etc to get fully educated on these illnesses.

If we passively rely solely on our Doctors or health care
    system to get us well or find solutions for these illnesses
    we will be sadly disappointed.

The truth is ... the rest of the world doesn't care that
    much about us.... WE have to responsiblity for the treatment of our illnesses.

BE PROACTIVE in your own treatment folks!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The earlier we accept that we are going to have to take the responsibility for our own healing, the better off we are. If we have docs who do not respect our own research and desire to partner with them, we need to find docs who will become our partners in our healing. They are out there. The more knowledgeable we are, the better we can work with our docs to achieve healing.

There is a lot of info available; the library here has tens of thousnads of articles and a search feature. The internet is excellent as well. It can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but eventually, it all starts to fall into place and we can evaluate our treatment options and present them to our docs.

It takes time to research and develop our own regimens but it sure beats doing nothing and continuing to suffer or even deteriorate. It's taken me more than four years to develop my treatments but it has paid off. Despite the CFIDS flare of fatigue I have been in for a month, I am definitely better than four years ago. I'm not well--yet, but I'll never give up searching for treatments which help me heal.

Love, Mikie
  3. AnnG

AnnG New Member

Don't give in. Fight to keep your life. I work with the public and I can't begin to tell you the number of people who equate FMS with obesity, laziness and whining. We could complain that this is so or we can work to erase this image of ourselves. We are ambassadors of this disease. And so, I smile, I push myself, I research as Mikie said, I rest quietly and never expect anyone to make it all better for me. I imagine you all are doing much the same. Together, we can change the world's image of us into brave women and men who are living our lives in spite of pain and fatigue.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Although I've been blessed with a couple of great doctors, you are absolutely correct.

I wouldn't feel as well as I do without the mountain of research I have put into my illness and recovery. ( or remission ). You are soooo correct in your statement.

I received more information and treatment options then I can list from this group of generous people. Without this board who knows where I might still be bumping along.

Great encouragement and post,

Elsa
  5. chazzsmom99

chazzsmom99 New Member

It is called personal responsibility!!!

Smiles,

Peggi
  6. lilbird

lilbird New Member

told me that I need to be proactive. Those were her words. She told me that just arn't knowledgable about FM/CFS and they do not have the time to research. They relie on the CDC for most of there information and the CDC is so far behind its sad.

She has been very open to idea's and things that I have researched. She is even working with the DR. from FFC in L.A. She is ordering the blood work he wants done so my insurance will pay for it.

Like Mikie said, find a Dr. that is willing to work with you. I do beleave most of us can get better. It will take time and allot of hard work.

Cathy