Bear in the Field

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, May 19, 2007.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

We have a food plot about a 100yards out from the house where we usally have deer.

Yesterday morning there was a bear out there! Grazing on the fresh young clover just like a deer.

He was lean and langy, and at this time of year pretty scruffy looking, probably a juvenille. He wasn't acting very spoky for being out in the day and open like that.

We went out on the porch and watched in thur the binoculars.
    He must have been really hungary, he was just chowing down. Then i noticed the horses. They were all lined up at the fence line just staring and watching him intently.

He finely moved off in an akward, but also graceful lumbering lope. Crossing the road right were i walk sometimes.

I've never just sat and watched a bear like that, it was pretty neat, but he didn't have to be that close to the house!! LOL
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Kool That you got do see him up close! Seems like they just Have the run of the land,,,,The Horses are probably wondering what the Heck is that? lolol,,,,,Glad he wasn't threatening,,,,,,,They do have an interesting lope!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Interesting. Bears are omnivorous like us. They eat lots of plants, bugs, etc.

Brings to mind the time I spent as a social worker in Northern MN about 45 years ago.

Everybody had at least one bear story. A foster mother pointed out her kitchen window and told me how a bear had come out of the woods, killed a calf in the adjacent field, and carried it off.

And lots of bars had huge, ancient bear traps on the walls for decoration.

I never saw a bear when I was up north, but I did see lots of deer, eagle, loon, etc. A very poor part of the state w/ lots of woods and lakes. A paradise for hunters and fishermen.
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Just in case anyone was wondering, we don't have grizzlys here.

Generally safer than grizzlys accept on the very, very, rare occasion one decides to eat you, then more dangersous.

We live in Black bear country, known as the Bear Capital. I've glimpsed bear before, but never this close for observation.

Sisland, love your picture, montana is beautiful country!!

Rock, we had a goat staked out in the yard, that would have been great bear bait. He was only interested in the young sweet clover.

Livn, that's too close for comfort!!! Black or Grizzly??
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Well, I have the same story as Willow!!

My husband and I took our first vacation to northern Michigan. I think it was Curtis, Michigan. We were told by the locals that the bear come out every evening at the dump!

So, we went to this dump and lined up just as if we were at a drive-in movie theater! Right around dusk, here come the bears, just like we had been told. We took pictures through the windshield, and then somebody did roll down the window and leaned out to get some better pictures--but we were quite a ways back and not close enough for the bears to get to our window quickly!

It was really entertaining to watch them. There were loads of cars lined up watching, too!

Bears are not common in our state; however, more and more are being spotted. We own a farm on the banks of the Ohio River (Kentucky side) and have spotted bear tracks in the woods there. There will also be an article in one of the local papers every now and then about a bear citing.