BEARSANDBUGSMOM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Sep 20, 2006.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I noticed your post about you talking to your doctor about the gastric bypass surgery. You had mentioned that your doc was totally against it.

I was wondering if you had considered LapBand surgery instead? Perhaps your doc would go for this one. Death with gastric bypass is 1 in 200. Death with LapBand is 1 in 20,000. This means that LapBand is 100 times safer than gastric bypass.

I am by no means talking you our of it, I am just suggesting a different route that your doctor might be willing to go along with,

It is totally reversable. There is no cutting, stapling or re-routing of the organs. With the gastric bypass, you have to be so sick that you would eventually die to find a doc to reverse it also. And the procedure to reverse it is more conplex than the gastric bypass.

I am suggesting this to you because after 9 years of having FM, CFS, RLS, MPS along wtih some other conditions, I decided to get the LapBand surgery in March of this year at the age of 25. All of the meds that I was placed on made me gain weight, and like you, it wouldnt seem to come of easily.

To date I have lost 50 lbs. And I was barely considered heavy enough to get the procedure. I was thin my whole life up until i got these conditions. But my father's side of the family is all big, with conditions related to obesity, so my doc thought it would be a good idea...possibly preventative in a way. Most of them have had the gastic bypass because they were considered too big to be successful with the LapBand.

I hope this helps. Possibly your doc is afraid of the risk and the danger of the procedure. If you need anymore help, please feel free to ask anything at all.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

bumping for bear