Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Jan 20, 2010.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Cursed for the last one or two months! Seems forever. Very distracting, the itching, especially in the evening or night. Doesn't help one's creativity or writing, or sleeping.

I'LL GET 'EM!

I haven't seen one yet, but about 95% sure that bed bugs have afflicted in the bible curses.

Even if my nick-name for my bedroom becomes "the gas chamber", I'LL GET THEM!

O.K., Bill, back to a calmer mode:

Anyway, the epidemic of bed bugs in the USA has finally reached me. Quite a few articles recently about how bed bugs are becoming much more common, with the discontinuance of DDT and other insecticides . I heard that some buildings in San Francisco are totally infested.

Things I've Learned:

They can move as fast as ants (I thought they were slow).

They can easily travel along electrical wiring and plumbing .

I read that beg bugs can thrive after a building is fumigated because they can survive, but their predators are killed.

Unfortunately, one of the major predators is cocker roaches. I hope it doesn't become a decision between having cocker roaches or bed bugs.

It costs $250 to have an exterminator treat one apartment in S.F., and a special license is required in California.

When staying at a hotel, it is best to put lugage on a lugage rack and not on the other bed.

Some people do not have an allergic reaction to the bites.......I do!

Below 36F and above 120F will kill them. Maybe I will open all windows with the next cold spell.

Very difficult to figure out where or when bitten because of a delay in bite reaction.

I suspected a hospital bed (horrors!) but probably not, because healthy insects usually get get sick and die within an hour when they get inside of hospitals (!?). Umm, I've seen it happen at another hospital......kind of to speak.

Tonight, I'm feeling less itchy and don't think any fresh bites.............but I thought I got rid of them before, and I was wrong. I'll get them, though, soon.

Fortunately, I don't have (yet) any chemical allergies that I know about.

Cheers, I'll get every last one, Mr Bill

Hmmmm, I guess I was lying when I said everything was fine here. Mentally, etc., I'm fine, but very murderous about bed bugs.

Oh, and I was worried about bird mites! They sound just as bad, or worse. I did find some insect mite predators for sale. They were for naturally getting rid of mites on plants, but I wonder if they might work on other type mites.

Some large lawsuits have been awarded to people who have caught bed bugs at hotels.

Dogs can be trained to track down and find bed bugs and their nests.

[This Message was Edited on 01/20/2010]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the problem. I read an article last year about hotels
    and bed bugs. Said even some expensive places have the pests.

Maybe we didn't have them in Minnesota because it is frequently below 36 degrees
    about 6 months of the years.

Wonder if a pet anteater would help. How would you like a pangolin? The
    mammal that looks like a reptile.

3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The local TV news did a segment about them (that's how prevalent they are becoming). Most people think they confine to the bed. They frequently hide in the baseboards of your home, inside the electrical outlets, etc. which is why a special exterminator is required--they know all the hiding places. And they breed quickly, so the faster you get the exterminator in, the better. I'm so sorry you are plagued with this.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So sorry this happened/is happening to you. I also saw a program on the epidemic of bedbugs.

If the cockroach is a predator or the bedbugs, then get some cockroaches. I found the predator's for cockroaches. See below.

"Cockroaches have many natural predators, including toads, frogs, beetles, geckos and iguanas. Some parasitic wasp species are safe for humans but are effective exterminators of roach populations. These species lay their eggs inside the egg cases of cockroaches; hatchlings feed upon nearby cockroach eggs. Entomopathogenic fungi have also been identified as effective means of roach control, as their spores attach to insects and kill them within weeks. Cockroaches affected by fungi then pass the parasite on to other cockroaches."

I would go with with the wasp species that are safe for humans. Then once the bedbugs, eaten by the roaches are destroyed, and all you have to do is to carry around a fly swatter or have some fly paper hanging around the house to kill the wasps. Another possibility is a bug zapper.

But it does looks like there are several options to use as predators for the cockroaches, who are predators to the bedbugs. This leaves room for creativity on your part.

Kind of like "The old lady that swallowed the fly"!!

Seriously, I hear this can be a horrible experience. I get the creeps thinking about all the dust mites crawling in a bed and the invisible bugs in your eyebrows.

Good luck and keep us posted.

[This Message was Edited on 01/22/2010]
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

I also heard that taking your pillow when traveling, to a hotel or friends home, you can bring the pillow back home with these little critters....yikes.

I have always traveled with my own pillow.....

Fumigating in an apt. or Condo, etc. is useless, as little critters aill go to the next. apt. during that time, that is not being treated. So whole building needs treated at the same time...
  6. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

You make me smile a lot and I like reading your cute posts!!!

At times when I am stressed, I look for some posts by you and a few handful of others I talk with continuously on here, when I'm on that is, lol, and you all make me smile with your posts!

Sorry that I'm smiling in your misery.. though...

One good way to get rid of bed bugs is to spray solutions of half water/half vinegar on, in, and under your mattresses.

Another good way to eliminate bed bugs is to take the mattress outside when the temps hit below freezing (which in WI is easily done nearly 7 months of the year!!!!)

Another good thing to do is buy the Avon- Skin-So-Soft bath oil. It must be the bath oil or the spray, but it must be that product, and you use it all over your body when you bath or shower, and then the bugs WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT ever want to bite you. Instead they'll just look for a spot that doesn't give off that scent, such as the insides of your nose, inside your mouth, and inside your ears. But, at least they are a good source of Protein!!! Yummy! :)

Fight :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2010]

BILLCAMO New Member

are tough on that problem....

4-legged are very effective !

2-legged work.......but that's a whole 'nother story...

Blessings ,

8. therealmadscientist

Situation greatly improved here.

That was horrible though.......itching.
    (Do you feel like itching now? .............bad Bill).

Anyway, some bites lasted awhile, so not sure if a bite is old or new sometimes.

Only two suspicious bites remaining, but probably old bites.

I'm very vigilant now, and will bug bomb at any sign of recurrence.

Never saw one of the Devils, so a slight chance that could have been fleas.

I tried to get some Avon Skin So Soft but it's only sold thru Avon. Anyway, I gave a couple squirts of mosquito repellent into the bath water. I guess DEET is the active repellant and is in both Skin So Soft and most insect repellants.

Thank goodness I didn't have to turn my house into a menagerie of cocker roaches and wasps and anteaters!

Cheers, your "saved" mr Bill

BTW, I found that hydrocortisol creme from the Dollar store was helpful. Also, benadryl and triple antibiotic creme.

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2010]
  9. rockgor

Glad to hear the situation is greatly improved.

I think you're right. There are so many kinds of bugs it's hard to
    know what is pestering one at any given moment.

I got bit by something one night. The spot itched off and on
    for 3 years. Folks always say "spider bite", but how can one
    be sure?

This leads to the question addressed by philosophers such as Bishop
    Barkeley over the years. How can we know anything for certain?

Well, hope you sleep tight and don't let the you know what bite.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

As my daughters used to say as kids,

"If they do, get a shoe and squish a few."

Rock, the only thing certain, is uncertainty. Can't remember who said that and too tired to look it up. But then what about death and taxes? Some people don't pay taxes, so maybe just death is the only certainty. Unless you count birth which you have to experience to experience death.

Does that mean birth and death are the only two certainties?

There is also a statistic which says that most people during their life time, have swallowed a spider in their sleep. I have no idea how this study was conducted and I have not seen any scientist standing around my bed with clipboards. Must be the likelyhood of swallowing a spider.

I don't know why!!

11. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I guess if someone x-rayed the contents of our stomachs, they would see how many spiders we eat a night, some just eat them weekly, versus daily.

Spider bites are often a few here and there. While that isn't always the case, they don't stick around long to us moving around in bed, unless you're like me, as I only toss-n-turn a lot when I can't sleep. Once I'm out, I only move in one other way, which always ends up flat on my back, making my back hurt worse.

Fleas, well, we use to have them a lot when I was growing up... with the pets going in and out-doors all of the time. Flea bites have one tiny pin hole.

(Why do I keep on itching my head, lol!)

Now, bed bugs, they crawl all over you at night and keep you awake until you can't stand it anymore, and change the sheets and pillow cases and take a hot shower and then climb into bed. The hotel I last stayed at had sheets that were probably there for longer than a day, which allowed those bed bugs to move fastly on top of the sheets. So, it drove me nuts (I know, short drive, lol) until I nocked myself out finally,,,,, and the next day I asked for new sheets. It felt much different sleeping on a bed with new sheets on, (the old ones were new, but they had already allowed the bedbugs to crawl on top of the sheets for sitting there in a vacant room for a while, and I showered before getting in them. I tossed and turned until I couldn't stand it anymore. Also, I have a few bites, one on my left cheek (face!) and some on my tummy. I could tell the tummy ones were bug bites because of how close they were together and how bad they itched! In fact, I'm waiting for my cousin to wake up so I can take a shower already!!! I don't want to use the hot water up on him before he goes to work, plus I am not tired yet after all the caffeine I drank to stay awake on the way home. Roads were nasty on the way home and the way down to TN... now I'm rambling on the wrong post. Anyway, there are many bites on my back. A spider doesn't usually bite mutiple times usually, unless it can't find your blood. If we eat spiders, and spiders eat us.... lolTime for me to get tired to get to bed already, as my mind is wandering...

Fight :)

[This Message was Edited on 02/09/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2010]
  12. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

In today's TV news, I heard that two glasses of sugary soda pop per week is supposedly bad for you. According to that, how about getting the bed bugs, fleas and spiders hooked on soda and let them die that way. Make sure it's caffeine soda too.
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

ETA Make that a DIET caffinated soda or drown them in the soda.
    Dang, I almost missed this as I keep forgetting that the last post on a page is not the last post on the thread!![This Message was Edited on 02/09/2010]
  14. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Since bugs don't like vinegar, we can eat lots of dill pickles saturated in Vinegar, LOL!

Vinegar and spice, and everything nice, LOL!

I like your idea! We can give them bugs diabetes for all the sugar we drink from soda, LOL!

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2010]
  15. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

And with all the sugar, caffeine, sodium and preservatives in the sugary soda, all the bugs will come running for the soda and be dead from diabetes, high blood pressure and heart attacks!!! Let's be extra mean and cruel to those bugs!!!
  16. therealmadscientist

A bunch(flock?) of hyped, hopped up, hyperactive caffeinated bugs running and flying around! Oh, well.........if it works, it kills them dead, soon,.....then I guess practical. LOL, mr Bill

Oh, I've always found it interesting that almost nothing can live on most of the food we eat. Pure sugar, salt, jelly, peanut butter, cured hams, soft drinks.......these are deadly to most living creatures! LOL

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2010]
  17. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Today's news added pancreatic cancer to sugary soda. So the bugs with the sugary soda will die of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attacks AND PANCREATIC CANCER.

The bugs' doctor will probably tell them to move out of your place due to the poor quality of food you keep (namely soda) OR the bugs will call the Department of Health on you for trying to kill them by keeping that dangerous soda around.[This Message was Edited on 02/11/2010]
  18. therealmadscientist

Can they get cancer of the lungs or spiracles, I wonder.

(Actually, I've been taking Chantix.......which works for me. Have cut way, way, down on smoking. And tend to drink tea in the morning......only a few grams of sugar versus lord knows how many in sodas.)

Other than a tendency for my personal food to continue existing independent of the expiration date, I eat pretty healthy......for a human being. Cheers, mr Bill
  19. rockgor

is organic, nutritious, and non-caloric.

Human beings are omnivores.
    They eat what they find in the stores.

They scoop it up and take it home.

And thus concludes my low-fat poem.

20. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

And don't forget that extreme cold also works... that leaving the mattresses outside in the cold, below 32 degrees farenheit, preferably in the shade, and with plastic underneath the mattresses, otherwise you'll need colder climates, will help kill them off at least in and on your mattresses. Cleaning your carpet with really hot water helps while your mattresses are outside. Clean it two or three times before returning the mattresses back in. Do not carry the plastic back into the house.

B-careful of scams!!!! I posted one and found that i had 2 delete it because it was trying to sell you something that has no scientific proof of it working.

[This Message was Edited on 02/14/2010]