Bedridden; then recovering?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Jul 6, 2011.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've been bedridden for over 4 months, and wondering if over time I may feel better.

Has this happened to anyone?

2. debilyn

debilyn New Member

I don't have any information for you. I just feel badly that your post is here, and nobody's been able to reply yet. I pray that you begin to feel better very, very soon. And hopefully this post bumps you back up, so someone will see your question and give you gobs of helpful information.

LEFTYGG Member

I was basically bedridden about 6 yrs ago. my body crashed and my joints felt like they were floating and walking was so painful. I never knew i could cry so much.

sittng on the toliet was comfortable for some odd reason. id sit there and cry and cry.

im better now. our bodies do try to heal themselves. ive tried a lot of things been to a lot of drs spent thousands.

i hope you regain your health. love gail
  4. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Carole!

So sorry to read that you are suffering so much and hope that you will get some relief soon. A lot of ppl. on this board have been bedridden on and off as well as just gotten better and better. I know that the ones that just seem to get better do a lot to make this happen. Many protocols, supps.,vitamans and a lot of meds. It seems like the way to go is all holistic...... I am slowly but surely getting better now that I am not working any longer and I was really, really sick! I had a 6 week time period of being bedridden right before I was dx'd. then I had 3 months of feeling like I was in "remission" too!

You just never know what will happen. Every one on here is different and at different stages in their quest for recovery. I hope, wish and pray for all on this board as well as anyone suffering from CFS or fibromyalgia that there will be a "cure" or medicine, something to help us all. I do have a good feeling that the day is not too far off with so many ppl. researching. From scientist to drs. to just those of us trying all different things gives me hope! I have gotten about 40% better since being off work for 3 months and am so very greatful! I pray that I will be back to my old self someday soon as I have seen many glimpses of my former self just in more energy and less pain. It feels wonderful to be able to go places and do things and most of all, spend time with friends and family!

It will get better Carole, I just know it! If you have a positive attitude and try to just move a little at a time maybe you will become more mobile very soon. Watch what you eat and try different vitamens and supplements as suggested on this board. You are sure to get many replies on this post so I wish you good luck and better health.

Take care of yourself and reach out to others like family and friends if you can. I'm so happy that you are back because this is the best place for us! So many giving, caring and loving people on this msg. board. I find that it helps me to reply a lot as well as post. If I help a few others here and there it makes me very happy. So many people have helped me just by being here and replying, you know?

I wish you Peace, Faith and Better health, Julie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear you are doing so poorly.

Eleven years ago I was bedridden most of the time and on Morphine for pain. It took years for me to claw my way back so I could work part time. Then, a year ago, the exhaustion struck again and I had to give up my job. It appears I now have Sjogren's Syndrome, which accounts for the total exhaustion I am now dealing with. I'm not bedridden and am not as bad as before but I think it's because this time, I didn't keep pushing myself beyond my limits.

We often pick up other conditions which like to hitch rides with us. Do you have any new symptoms? If so, can you work with your doc to treat them? Sending my thoughts and prayers for healing for you.

Love, Mikie
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I was completely bedridden in 2005-06, for the full two years, and then for seven months in 2008, after a relapse. I was so sick many days that I honestly didn't see how I'd live to see the next day. I showered once a week, with my wife washing my hair, had extreme difficulty sitting up, and could do nothing except maybe watch tv, read a little, or spend a little time on the computer. I felt so alone, like I was on another planet.

Things have improved for me, though I use a mobility scooter to go into stores or on outings. I am still disabled, but my symptoms have lessened considerably. I'm able to get out a fair amount, and I do feel a lot better these days. I'm even happy a lot of the time, something I never thought possible.

I'm still extremely careful about not overdoing, so I don't relapse and end up back in bed.

I rested, meditated, tried not to overdo, tried to keep my body "soothed" during the day to keep my adrenals in check, found a sleep cocktail that worked fairly well, ate an extremely healthy diet, drank fresh veggie juices as often as possible, explored a number of therapies, western and alternative, like acupuncture, Low Dose Naltrexone. Not sure what has helped the most. Maybe just time and rest. But there are lots of us who have spent months or even years in bed and are no longer in it. I have a long, long way to go, but I feel a lot better these days: peaceful, not in pain, able to visit with friends, and even with meaningful activities in my life.

Even Stephen Paganetti, the bedridden teenager in the documentary, I Remember Me, improved and has been able to take college classes, travel, and do other things.

You're not alone, and things can certainly get better, even when you feel hopeless or like things will never change. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wanted to add that many people who become bedridden with CFS do, in fact, recover a lot of their lives back, but you don't hear from them because once they're doing better, they no longer post on these forums. People tend to not want to revisit sites associated with their illness when they get better. I hope things start getting better for you. I know the misery and hell of being bedridden and housebound. I'm glad you're participating on here--gives you a sense of community and friendship, even while feeling apart from most of the world. But you're not alone. Lots of very good people on Chit Chat.

8. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello There Carole,

I am sorry to hear that your health is so bad that you are bedridden :(
    I can relate everyone's story here(unfortunately). We are such strong people. We are all 'survivors'. We are all examples of how the human spirit fights to overcome any tragedy in life.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

I have been there too! I was bedridden for 2 and a half years(not to say that you will too; everyone is different) This could have been a post from me over 10 years ago! I have not been on this board for a LONG time but glad I came here tonight to 'give some hope'.

I was so sick for this time that I would have to chose some days between taking a shower or eating.You can read my profile. I remember when I was alone, I would not be able to shower for a week at a time (this is from someone who showers 2x a day!) Physically it was impossible. I also could not drive or walk to the mailbox! I had about 40 crazy symptoms. I also had allot of memory problems ( I could not add numbers or balance a checkbook). My brain and body was defeated. Over the next three years I only could function to go to Dr's visits, and maybe a short visit to my families house. In other words I lost everything. It was literally like I was watching my own funeral before me.

The good news is......After the first five years of being ill, I began to improve (I did ALLOT of healthy eating and supplements, and detoxes)-with the help from my mom.

After 5 years I was able to take some classes to learn some office skills, and have been working on and off for the past five years. I have been on several really COOL vacations, have a boyfriend for over 6 years now, and can even exercise sometimes up to 30 minutes. I used to be a 'workout junkie'. I can also drive 90% of the time! :)

To date I work 18 hours a week. Is it the life I had or planned for?! No. Everyday is so different, and things are still a struggle. But I have improved so much and come so far. AND I believe you can too.

But I will tell you, things CAN GET BETTER. Don't ever give up hope! AND I have NEVER gone back to being completely bedridden!! I do go thru cycles where all I can do is work for the 18 hours and that is all, but then I rest, and come out of it.

Please hang in there! Know that things can change!

I am not sure if you like pets? But maybe getting a cat to keep you company in your time of need can be a comfort? Plus, cats love to cuddle and sleep too!

[This Message was Edited on 07/10/2011]