bedtime calcium/mag ok without food???????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Aug 9, 2003.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

The zma isnt doing much for me anymore so thought I would try calcium and magnesium at bedtime like a lot of you take. Both my calcium and magnesium say to take with food. I dont like to eat after 6 or 7 pm. Can I take the calcium & magnesium with just water?
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

so I just checked it out on a few web sites. It consists of calcium and magnesium citrates, with a few vits and is dissolved in water. The most well known make is CalAsorb.

Don't know if it will suit but the citrates are generally absorbed better than many other mineral forms.

Love

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2003]
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

maybe for better absorption. Maybe it's just your particular brand that should be taken with food because of something else in it? If you're concerned, get some magnesium glycinate (I don't want to say Tansy's wrong, but I think mag glycinate is the best absorbed for magnesium, and it causes the least gastro upset). I think you can also buy mag/calc combos. I think the "amino acid chelate" forms are best for that.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2003]
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

I have seperate supplements and the calcium is citrate and the magnesium is glycinate. I wont fear to try them on the empty stomach. Thanks for your input. It is comforting to be able to come here and ask these simple silly questions.
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

that if taking minerals together they should be in the same form. So if the combination you taking don't seem to work seperate them or change the Mg to citrate which is absorbed into the bloodstream better BUT can be more irritating to the stomach.

Higher Nature in the UK supply True Food supplements which are produced in a very different way and predigested with papaya, the theory is they're easier to absorb and you don't need to take such high doses. They make an Ca/Mg combination as well as Mg. Just another option, I like to feel there's always plenty in reserve since I've learnt a lot of things either don't work for me or I react to them. Many board memebers seem to have the same problem.

Hope you find what works for you soon.

Love

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2003]
  6. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

with my extremely limited understanding of calcium and magnesium, which I gleaned from the internet.

They bind to the same whatever-it-is-they-bind-to (how do you like the technical term?). So in that sense, it's best to take them together because, say you take your calcium one hour before your magnesium (I don't know why a person would do that, but bear with me). If you take the calcium first, it binds to whatever-it-is, then you take the magnesium and there's no place for it to bind to.

Tansy is right, I think, in taking them in the same form. The info I found suggested a combination of the two in amino acid chelate form. (Tansy, thanks for that info about the mag citrate, I didn't know that, obviously.)

However, especially since many people have taken calcium supplements for years and ignored their magnesium, it's possible you/we have a build up of calcium. So, like in the book "The Miracle of Magnesium" it suggests you stop taking calcium for however long. (I don't have the book, just remember that Klutzo or Jellybelly posted about it.)

I hope I suitably impressed you all. ;-) (wish there was a rolling the eyes emoticon.)
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

Not only was I impressed I was amazed at you grasp. Mostly I was just glad to have your helpful input. Thanks
  8. Lexied

Lexied New Member

I just started taking Rexall brand Calcium/Magnesium with Vitamin D last week and I've taken it both with and without food and neither way has bothered my stomach. I do try to take it with a full glass of water though, to aid in absorbtion.