Bedtime energy blues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Megster, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Megster

Megster New Member

Anyone else have the problem of feeling your best just before it's time to go to bed? Almost every day, I feel awful all day long, have a hard time doing much of anything, and then, just before it's time to go to bed, I feel more energised than I have all day long! Would love to be able to take advantage of it and get some stuff done, but I have to get up and get my daughter ready for school, would miss cuddling with dh, and am afraid that I would feel even more tired the next day.

I take Dr. Tietlebaums (sp?) sleep formula (2 to 3) each night, and often drink a cup of Yogi Bedtime tea, but have not found either one particualrly helpful if I'm not sleepy already. I tried Ambien, but the nightmares and increased sweating were too bad, and though I had less pain during the day, the fatigue was worse. Any suggestions???????

Blessings,
    Meg
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I didn't feel my best at bedtime, but instead, even though completely exhausted physically, (body felt encased in concrete), malaise...feeling that sleep would be a relief...I could not get my racing mind to slow down...it was in hyperactive mode. It felt as If I was having an adrenaline surge. I tried elavil..and this offered no help, didn't even make me sleepy. The next thing I tried, after hearing Mikie the Moderator, discuss Dr. Chaney, and his mini-seizure theory, and treatment of difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep (I was having 15-20 wake ups a nite when I could finally go to sleep at 5 or 6 am) was klonopin. This has been a godsend for me. I now go to sleep much easier, with out the racing brain, and wake up 0-1 times a nite. I have no grogginess or fatigueupon rising in the morning.
    Best wishes, LL

[This Message was Edited on 04/14/2003]
  3. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I definitely have noticed that I seem to feel better as it gets closer to bedtime. I don't think I'm necessarily more energized, in the sense of feeling less tired, but I think I tend to feel better physically--especially if I'm working on my music. Of course, that could be a placebo effect (or therapeutic effect) from doing music, but I think it also may reflect some physical reality. At the moment, it is about 11:30 p.m., and I definitely feel tired. But I also feel hesitant to go to bed because I find it hard to get comfortable and get to sleep, as well as difficult to stay asleep. (I don't wake up as often as you said you do--usually 2-4 times a night--but I seldom get more than two hours of sleep at a stretch, if that, and therefore don't get much restorative sleep. So I wake up feeling even more tired than when I went to bed the night before.

I thought all this was subjective, but this morning when I went to physical therapy, my therapist mentioned that I looked tired. This was at 11:45 a.m. I had an OT appointment last week at about the same time of day. That therapist, too, commented that I looked tired. However, today, when I had a 3:30 p.m. appointment with the same OT, she didn't say anything. And I noticed when I caught a glimpse of my face in a mirror, that the bags under my eyes seemed much *less* pronounced later in the day than they had in the morning.

So maybe this isn't just our imaginations!

--Laura R.M.
  4. leokat

leokat New Member

I'm not exactly sure how to explain this but I definately do feel at my worst just after waking and better just before bedtime.

I wake at between five and six a.m. every morning (well that's after waking a few other times during the night) feeling awful. Either too cold or too hot, in pain, mentally confused, and all over achy. I have to fight an automatic response that says this is going to be an awful day. I have a routine to help me through. First I go to the loo, then I pile my pillows up so I can sit up in bed, I turn the radio up so I have something to focus on, and drink a large glass of water. I also take some pain killers. I don't rush and never attempt to get up before 7.30 am. By then I usually have a window of about an hour where I feel tolerably OK to be with my daughter before she goes off to college or work placement.

I also need to nap in the afternoon and go through much the same process again on waking. This gives me a window of about an hour to chat with my daughter then some time to make supper.

You'd think that after my busy for me evening I'd be pooped - but no. I often notice that I perk up mentally if not physically from about 10pm onwards. Even so I force myself to go to bed at a reasonable time and read or listen to the radio if I can't sleep.

I have no idea why this should be so. At various times I have thought it might be:

The fact that my body, having taken in calories at supper time, is fully fueled.

I feel re-engergised after my daughter has gone to bed and I don't have to expend energy 'being mum'.

There are less toxins and polutants in the atmosphere at night.

There are less external noises later in the day.

My mind is less stressed because I know I've achieved all I'm going to for the day and there's no point worrying about the rest.

It is my natural biorhythms.

I'd say carry on doing as you are Megster. Time spent in the mornings with your daughter is far more important than anything else you might be doing. Go with your natural rhythms and don't feel guilty about resting when you're feeling like you could/should be doing something else. It is frustrating though - like so much about this DD.

Also, I tend not to take anything to help me sleep. Everything I've tried so far (both perscription and natural) has left me feeling more fogged and/or fatigued. I'm feeling lucky at the moment though cos, after a long spell of sleeping really badly, I get a couple of blocks of at least three hours good sleep at a time and maybe two of these each night.

Leo.

5. 600

600 New Member

Wow! I thought I was the only one like that! Never figured out why the later it gets the better I feel,right up to the time your supposed to be winding down! Try to explain that to your DR.!
  6. hilfgirl33

hilfgirl33 New Member

Sometimes I am reluctant to go to bed because I often feel better physically. However, last night I was up to 1 because I felt pretty good but my ds was up at 7:15 and now I feel really ill, my feet are freezing, slightly nauseous. I will try to fight through it. Our bodies seem so confused.

Also, I remember the days when I used to wake up feeling great and doing so many things and then being so crashed out at night. What bliss!!!
  7. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I have been a 2nd shift type of person since working that shift for many years and my husband works that shift now now. I no longer work but I usually get a "feel better" thing in the evening where I accomplish little things here and there.

My naturopath and others told me it's not unusual for folks with CFIDS to have their brain work that way - when everyone else is getting ready to sleep we might get ready to "do something" even if it's for a limited time. I usually feel encased in cement also and lately I have been having terrible leg and arm pain (moreso than usual) but I keep getting that little nightly "surge" - wish I could get my life back with a great big "surge" of energy!!! That's a dream.

I spend about 20 to 22 hours a day in bed for the most part and feel flu-like symptoms, pain and great fatigue most of the time.

Love
    Pam
  8. epicurean

epicurean New Member

How I wish I had your problem!!My husband would be a "very happy" man,(I wouldn't mind it myself).
  9. marta

marta New Member

Not always, but now and then I have what you're describing. I also find that if I act on it, if I use the energy physically or mentally during this time, my sleep is almost non-existent. It's as if I become over-stimulated at that point. I've described it as having no "off-button".

The other thing I've noticed is that if I push through the fatigue to stay up later than usual, I really pay for it by just seeming to doze through the night without restorative sleep. Again, that lack of an off-button.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2003]
  10. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

yes, my only energy of the day is right before bed which is maddening because I need it much more during the day.
    This pattern hasnt always been the case. When my DD was less severe years ago, I had more energy in the mornings.

zoso
  11. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I worked graveyard shift for a few years and I think this has done it to me. I wake up sore, tired, the usual. In the afternoons thru evenings I am still won out and hurting. The kids go to bed at 9:30, and for some reason that is when my body starts to get revved up. If I go to bed at 11:00 pm, I lay there for hours on end. I think about everything and nothing that makes sense. For instance I caught myself wondering the other day if Dumbo the Elephant was male or female. WHY would I think of that? LOL I get some weird stuff going through this pea-brain. Anyhow yes, I usually cannot get to sleep until about 3:30 or 4:00 am. In my better days I would often take a trip to my 24 hour WalMart just to walk around and try to get myself tired. Now the WalMart trips are out but I still have that wired feeling even after taking my Flexeril.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't act on it. Instead, I just take my Klonopin and go to bed. All my life, I've been a night person. Growing up, I could stay up very late with tons of energy. I never wanted to get up in the morning.

Society molded me into acting as a day person, but I think my natural tendency is still to be a night person.

Too much activity right before bedtime isn't good for my sleep routine. I am really trying to stick to a routine as I know it helps with sleep patterns.

Love, Mikie
  13. Megster

Megster New Member

Well, if nothing else, at least I know it's just another part of this DD, and will work on it with my MDs. Thanks for empathizing and Mikie for the suggestion of the Klonopin. It's such a drag that my co-pay for "mental health" drugs is so much higher. Maybe now I'll at least stop beating myself up about it. I think that's the biggest thing this board's done fore me...helped me realize that it's not me being lazy, or not strong enough, or that it's something that I just have to keep pushing through (well, have to do that every day some or I never get out of bed, which just makes the pain worse for me) to be like a "normal" person. Thanks to everyone here for that, especially Mikie...I can't imagine being a moderator for a board, especially one like this. You have my admiration. (Hmmmm, maybe I ought to make that a post...)

Epicurean... I wish my hubby felt the same way, but he's never had a huge libido, and with all the extras he has to do now that I can't, he's usually just too wiped out. Sigh....

Marta... That's it exactly. Especially if I come up here and get on the computer! Just gets my brain WAY too stimulated, makes my back hurt much worse, and getting up and down the stairs....Ugh!

Usually just read with another cup of tea, can't wait til get my new chair so at least it will be a little more comfortable.

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the kudos. Actually, most of the time, I really enjoy doing this as we have such good members here and this is the best our board has been since I have been coming here.

Dear Susan, Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

Love, Mikie

15. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

only just spotted this post.

i drive anyone staying with me nuts cos i only wake when they are going to bed !!!!!!!

like mikie says then this board is even more brilliant. When its bedtime here you guys in U.S. are enjoying [mmm] your afternoons.and i can join in.

i have always been a night person, but this bedtime wake up did start when i became this severly ill 12 years ago and not from the start of the illness 23 years ago. so there might be an extra clue there for me to think on.
    pinkquartz
  16. Shirl

Shirl New Member

From the response you received you now know you are not 'alone' with this!

I have the same problem, like Mike, I think I was born to be a night owl or a Bat!

I lived on three or four hours of sleep all my life, but finally the Fibro and age caught up with me.

What I have is 'racing brain', my mind is so active at nightime, that I can't just go to sleep like 'normals' do. My body is tired (before I did not get tired), but my mind is racing, which stopped me from sleeping.

I take a low dose of Xanax (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm every evening to calm my mind down.

Then I take 2 capsules of ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) at 10pm. It has been a Godsend with the 'waking up every hour' routine I used to live with. I now sleep 7-8 hours soundly everynight.

Right before I go to bed I take 3 milligrams of Melatonin to fall asleep!

This is the only combination that has ever helped me in my entire life to sleep. It was the ZMA that did the trick.

BUT I still can't go to sleep before 12 midnight, if I do I will wake up at 4am and am lost as to what to do with myself that time of the morning!

So I go to bed at 12am and sleep till about 8 or 9am. That works out find for me.

Hope you find what works for you, we tend to live opposite from the rest of the world.

Shalom, Shirl
  17. FibroNan

FibroNan New Member

(That sounds like the name of a song, ha)
    Like so many others here, I am also at my best at bedtime. It's frustrating because my husband goes to bed early, like around 8pm and I'm up til midnight or after. I have recently started reading at night (which helps get me sleepy) and trying to stay off the computer (which keeps me awake). It wouldn't be so bad to stay up late if only I didn't have to get up at 6am to get my son off to school.
    Nancy
    Here I am on the computer at 10:30 pm....guess I need to go read some.
  18. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

Good grief, if any of you are getting sick of me just jump in!! Seems as though everytime I turn around someone is addressing an issue that I have either struggled with or wondered about and Meg, you hit this one for sure. I have struggled so much with the frustration of feeling better at night than I have all day ..the ironic thing is that I do.....I haven't had anyone to talk to about all these things cause I don't have anyone in my life who remotely has a clue what any of this is like.

Now, My theory is that for the most part my days are spent being so nonproductive and a long comes the night and I am almost buzzed!! I thought maybe it was from that and then I fight sleep either because I feel better than I have all day and I just do not want to give it up . OR, I hate to go to bed because I know I am going to wake up feeling like hell! Either way I try to hold onto this feeling of 'all is well with things' as long as I can.

And, I have never been a night person,ever. I am a stone cold get up at 4am and enjoy the start of a new day!!!!
    So, thanks for bringing this up, once again, it is just nice to hear people talking of things that I have thought must be in my head!!!

HUGS ....Pam
  19. kaths

kaths New Member

Around 7 p.m. the fatigue and migraine magically disappear, and I start feeling better and better until I have to take my ZMA and two Zanaflex to go sleep. If I didn't have to get up in the morning to teach or go to doctor or acupuncturist appointments, I would stay up as long as possible -- because I know I'm not going to feel this good in the morning.

Being bipolar doesn't help because my husband sees my singing and dancing around as symptoms of impending hypomania. He's always saying, "Go to bed before you crash." It's my little window of time in which I remember what it's like to be me. If I couldn't look forward to evenings, I would be hopeless and even more depressed.

Thanks for the validation, guys!
    Kathy

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2003]
  20. epicurean

epicurean New Member

Glad you din't mind my reply to your post,was not taking it lightly!!I know how awfull we all feel at times.Sometimes we just gotta laugh!!!