Bee Sting Alternative Treatment for Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 6, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Bee-ing Aware of Alternatives

By Anne Crow

When I was diagnosed with FM in September 2003, I was devastated. I had been in severe pain, exhausted to the point of barely being able to get out of bed, and suffering from frightening anxiety attacks. I truly thought that this was the end of my active lifestyle.

Over the next several months, I made some progress with diet changes, vitamins, and mild exercise, but not much. I tried acupuncture, chiropractic, and even a holistic chiropractor. I was getting more and more depressed, and we were running out of money. Then, on the advice of my GP, I started a regular exercise program of stretching and riding a stationary bike. After six weeks, I was up to 30 minutes a day. I noticed that I was feeling somewhat better and my mood had improved.

Although the pain had abated to some extent, I was still extremely tired. We had already sold our beloved boat because I just wasn't up to my duties as first mate. We had purchased a camper thinking that I could handle that, but after the first weekend I wasn't so sure. I had to do something.

My neighbor had been "bugging" me to try apitherapy (bee stings). Claudia’s MS had been in remission for nine years as a result of her “stinging.” I was out of options and wanted my life back, so I agreed to try it. I was afraid of being allergic (after all, I was allergic to almost everything on the planet). And I was afraid of the pain. I was afraid it would make things worse, but I was more frightened of what the FM was doing to my life.

So, armed with my bottle of Benadryl and making certain that Claudia had her Epi Pen, I was off. The bees were happily buzzing around in a jar on her kitchen table. She held an ice pack on my leg to numb it. Then she took one of the bees out with a pair of reverse tweezers and did a "test" sting below my right knee, removing the stinger immediately. We waited twenty minutes....no reaction! I was ready. She did three more stings that day, leaving the stingers in for twenty minutes before removing them. Yep, it hurt—but so did the FM!!

The next morning, all of the spots where I had been stung were grotesquely swollen and I can't explain how badly they itched. On Claudia's advice, I tried Benadryl cream, Calamine Lotion, and Preparation H (don't laugh; that worked the best). After that we "stung" every other weekday. Claudia warned me that after a week or two, I would get "flu-like" symptoms and that is when most people get discouraged and quit. It happened, but I was determined to keep going. Then, I noticed that I wasn't as tired and I could actually do some of my own housework. From there on, it only got better. No more swelling, no more itching, and ENERGY!!

Now, I sting four stings, three days a week. I sting wherever I am having pain, or when there is none, mainly my back and my hips. I have learned how to prepare the jar for the bees, get them from the hive, get them out on the reverse tweezers (that was a challenge) and sting myself. Now we are in the process of setting up our own beehives, so that I will never be without my wonderful bees.

How am I doing? Well, I just finished painting my living room and hall. I am back to quilting. I have let the housekeeper go, and now do all of my own cleaning. I have a long list of spring projects and I am really looking forward to camping season. Sometimes, my husband says he misses the quieter me!

----------

Anne Crow welcomes questions about her apitherapy experience. You can write to her at

945 Blue Mountain Road, Saugerties, NY, 12477, or jcrow@hvc.rr.com.

----------

Now, what do you all think about this!! I am terrified of bees and I am allergic to bee stings .... so, this treatment is definitely NOT for me!!!!!!!! LOL
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is available in a cream you rub on. There is one which also contains Emu oil which is supposed to be beneficial too.

I don't know of anyone who has tried this. It has been helpful for those with MS in some cases.

Love, Mikie
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Jlh:
    Really wild! Who would have thought. And also a similar cream. I might give it a try, too. (the cream, that is).
    NyroFan
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

WOW! I think I would much rather Bee Venom treatments from a cream than from the stings of the bees themselves!! Yuck!

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The cream isn't as effective as the actual stings.

If anyone decides to do either, he or she should get an injection kit from the doc because it is possible to develop an allergy to the venom and go into shock.

Love, Mikie
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I think anyone who would let bees sting them is nuts!

I can't imagine how it works.

I am allergic to bee stings, so it is definitely out for me. I am really terrified when I see a bee! Yuck!
  7. lagunacat

lagunacat New Member

Read this...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16751949/

I became interested in bee therapy after getting stung in the throat one day. The next morning I felt like I was in heaven. It was my best morning in 15 years! Normally I wake every morning feeling like I was hit be a truck. The good feeling didn't last but a few days. I have since tried catching honey bees and stinging myself but have not had any positive outcomes.
  8. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I'm deathly allergic to bee stings. I have to carry an epipen bee sting kit wherever I go.
    Mini
  9. ulala

ulala New Member

and have to go straigth to the hospital if I get stung. I also have an Epi-Pen but still have to go to the hospital

Several years ago I bought some organic honey that had never been heated. You pay more for this type of honey. For some reason I felt really good. I talked to my allergist and decided to get allergy shots for bee stings. The shots have tiny amounts of bee venom in them. I have been getting them for over a year now. I always have to take Claritin before the shots.

They have not helped me as far as feeling better. There must have been something in the honey that caused me to feel so much better but the calories make it prohibitive for me to keep eating because once I start I can't stop eating honey!

There are other things in honey that could have caused me to feel so much better but I don't know what it was.