Bee Venom

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by clozano, Oct 7, 2006.

1. clozano

clozano New Member

My daughter has chronic lyme with severe neuropathic pain that is treated with narcotics. She has tried lyrica for nerve pain, and that caused severe side effects. The narcotics aren't really working anymore.

I am taking her to Seattle to see Dr. D. She used to work with Dr. K. One of the weapons in her arsenal is bee venom. Evidently they have used it effectively for pain in lyme patients.

Has anyone tried this? I am reluctantly considering this since we seem to be running out of options.

Thanks!
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

have heard of it working for many other things... and some of those other things like arthritis and ms could be lyme... so makes sense it could help relieve symptoms.

How long has she been treated for chronic lyme?

hope it works!
    Victoria
  3. clozano

clozano New Member

She's been treated about 1 year, misdiagnosed for about 10 years. (She's 18) All 3 of my kids have it. One of them has lyme-induced autism. (Lyme is turning up more and more in autism.) My other daughter (13) has more neuro-psychological lyme. We have tried hyperbarics with some success.

I'm kind of at the end of my rope here, regarding how to treat this pain situation. Maybe pulsing antibiotics would help, so it wasn't one continual herx. Any thoughts on that?
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I know my son has had it at least 4+ years (he's 19 now)... is pulsing abx... seeing a LLMD who has tried different combination of abx plus flagyl and been on different protocols of timing as well.

Currently he is doing a week on and then week off of abx MWF with Flagyl TH & F... his doctor always uses 2 abx plus the flagyl each time. Reasoning is of course that there are over 100 strains of lyme, so different abx will work on different strains... and flagyl is needed to dissolve cyst-form.

While some things have gotten better for him (weight gain, normalized pulse and BP) he still experiences migrating pain in joints and muscles and cognitive/neuro signs.

But pulsing the abx really helps to gives him a break. He initially was on 3 weeks on abx, 1 week off... but his immune system appeared to be in uproar, so was told to do opposite over summer, 3 weeks off, 1 week on, but by the second month he ahd to acknowledge he was going down again.

Altho He'd had at least one month of feeling somewhat normal. But that's why they now have him pulsing every other week.

A friend of mine originally dx'd with CFIDS but now positive with Lyme, is doing 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off; but not doing very well.

Everybody is different, it doesn't hurt to try different schedules of pulsing from what I can see...

Don't know where you're located or if you're seeing a LLMD or what, but treatment can vary widely it seems.

Hope this is of some help?
    Victoria

5. clozano

clozano New Member

Thanks, Victoria - your response helped. I'm in California and we see a LLMD here. I e-mailed her tonight about tweaking things by pulsing antibiotics, so we'll see what she thinks.
  6. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

someone else posted this link here so I am assuming it is an ok link to post. I

It's long but it mentions bee venom and from what I read it sounded really really good. I would look into it if I didnt' feel so overwhelmed already. I will eventually.

They sell it at whole foods here in marietta, so I will probably check that out sooner then later.