Been a long time...update/long

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TKE, Sep 10, 2006.

1. TKE

TKE New Member

It's been a good 3 years since I was here. I decided to concentrate on other things & put this DD on the back burner...yeah right!! I managed to stay active, only took advil for pain, worked part time, etc. Huz massaged my pain away almost daily, so why take pain meds. I also have stomach problems, so I can't take many of the meds the docs want you to.

In Oct. of 2004 I blew a disc in my back & it's been downhill ever since. My back has gone out at least 2-3 times a year since I blew the disc. It causes me to walk bent over, major inflamation in my lower back that moves up to my shoulders. Due to having to compensate for the back pain my legs then end up in major pain as well. It takes me a good 7 weeks plus to fully recover from my back going out.

Right now I'm in PT for my lower back (degenerative & herniated disc) as well as MPS in my shoulders. I think the back going out again thru me into a major flare. A week later my shoulder pain moved to my calves. Every step is tourture. OUCH! My MD has me on pain meds & muscle relaxers for now. They barely take the edge off. Add to that my Huz is off work for hand surgery. Both hands! I had to help him, drive him to PT, etc & then I ended up in this mess. He is having surgery on Monday on his left hand. I dread the thought of spending all day at the hospital.

I also have this weird thing going on with my hands. In July I pruned a Honeysuckle bush, like I always have. 2 days later my hands, from little finger to wrist, turned beat red & itched so bad I wanted to rip the skin off. Sides of feet did too, was barefoot, but it only lasted 2 days on my feet & went away. Doc ran some tests, but has yet to find out what has caused it. The itching is now almost gone, but at times they get hot & I have constant redness & spots. Does anyone have any idea if this if FMS related?

I lost my job in 2003 due to a merge. I tried to start an in home embroidery business, but now I'm to the point I can't sit at the computer very long to deal with my website or at my sewing machines. I get terrible neck & shoulder pain. Plus my DDD (degerative disc disease) is causing my lower back & legs to hurt if I sit too long. My business has just been sitting, so I have no income.

I did land a part time bookkeeping job for a construction company early this year. I worked part time for 15 weeks & got laid off. The owner was in major financial trouble & I think he expected me to work miracles for him. Dealing with & being negative from this DD didn't help him any, so he laid me off & replaced me. The stress on the job was more than I could handle anyway & my Huz was happy I was no longer working there. He likes me to stay home & just rest, etc. He's super :). I'd be lost without him. He just got done running the vac & is now mopping the kitchen. When I'n not in this physical mess I can function somewhat normal, as long I limit myslef & use extreme caution when I bend, etc.

The PT people tell me I shouldn't even be doing a desk job now, as it is causing me MP triggers in my shoulders & neck. The downside is we are in financial trouble now with me having no income & not really being able to work. We live very modestly & I have cut the budget to the bone, but my Huz's job still doesn't bring in enough to cover our monthly bills. He makes too much for us to get any benefits, etc. So I've decided to apply for SSD. I have enough work credits. I know I will be denied, as I toughed it out & didn't run to the doc(MD) with all my pain & other problems & I'm only 48(October). So my medical records suck to say the least! My MD most likely assumes I'm fine, picture of health all that, as I don't complain of fatigue, pain, etc. What I will end up writing down as far as my limitations, medical issues, etc will not come close to what I assume is in my records. I also called & asked for a copy of my entire records & was told they'd cost me $30.00. I can't afford it. So I know SSD will be a lengthy thing involving a lawyer.

The surgeon I saw for my back says surgery is the last option, as it most likely will not help my back any. Add to that I'm allergic to eggs & anesthia is made from eggs. So the only way they could do surgery is drug me up & give me the amnesia drug so I forget it all. I know a lawyer will be required. Already called one & was told after I get denied the first time to give them a call.

I signed up with 2 Temp Agencies to see if they could find me PT work. I can't or don't drive after dark. Can't see good enough, even tho my eye doc says my RX should allow me too. So that really limits work time frame. 4 weeks & not one offer for a job, except stupid stuff like forklift operators & 2nd shift jobs. I told them of my limitations...DUH!...& I though we had brain fog, LOL. So I called last week & told them due to my back I can't work & take me off their lists.

The stress from our financial situation has me in such a negative state. I used to be so positive & had a love of life. I simled & laughed allot.I used to be able to find the good in anything. Now all I see is the bad & negative. My Huz & I just had a talk about this a few weeks ago, as he sees it in me now too. This is not something anti-depressants will help with. Been there done that. My quality of life has gone down hill & I feel guilty for my Huz, who refuses to do things without me, so he is loosing out on life as well.

The only option I feel we have right now is to see if the bank will let us defer our loan payments for 6 months to allow us some cash flow so we don't fall behind. I've always made every payment on time. My luck they'll say no. I've never in my life been in this serious a financial situation & it has me really stressed. I know if I can get this dealt with & get SSD I will be fine stress wise.

PS: Huz is a 3 time cancer survivor, in remission now. Has had knee surgery & both hands for carpel tunnel/trigger fingers. He will be 64 soon & plans on working to age 70 if he can. I'll be 48 in October. Thyroid Disease 1987, back problems from 1984 forward, Fibro 2000 & am in the last few years, I hope, of Peri-menopause.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Toy

2. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

If you have ddd in back It won't matter how many times you have gone for fm. with the leg pain and back you should get it on that.

I got ssd on ddd primary and fm secondary hope that helps you and you get it. they will lok at your age right away and deny you, but keep pushing on.

sorry to hear about you hibby wil be praying for both of you.
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

So sorry things have really gone downhill for you. Your husband sounds like a doll. It's too bad he is having health problems as well. I don't know your living situation, but is it possible to get a house or apartment that is less expensive than where you are living now? Or are you already living in a less expensive place? It sounds like you have already cut down your budget to the bare bones.

As for the honeysickle bush, it sounds like you had an allergic response to it. I have the same problem with tomatoes. Not the fruit itself, but the plants. When I get done picking tomatoes out of my garden, I have to wash immediately or I will have red, itchy skin. I guess we are just extra sensitive.

I wish I had more answers for you. Financial problems certainly are stressful and not good for either one of you healthwise. I would definitely check out the disability. You said you haven't kept records or gone to the doctor much, but the surgeon you have now may be able to help you. And you don't have to pay an attorney for specializes in disability cases unless you win your case. It's definitely worth looking into.

Ellen
  4. TKE

TKE New Member

Thank you for the reply.

>>Are you still on the pain meds, are they helping any? <<

I'm on Hydrocodone. It takes the edge off, but that's it. I've always been one to fight against filling my body with these darn meds. Way too many side effects!

>>Is PT helping any??? <,

PT is making a big difference. Course the deep massage hurts when they first start, btu after several minutes the major MP triggers calm down some & I get relief.

Toy

5. TKE

TKE New Member

>>If you have ddd in back It won't matter how many times you have gone for fm. with the leg pain and back you should get it on that. <<

I sure hope so.

>>I got ssd on ddd primary and fm secondary hope that helps you and you get it. they will lok at your age right away and deny you, but keep pushing on. <<

Do you have to list them on youir paperwork in order or do they choose? I'm gonna dump it on the lawyer after I get denied, so they can deal with it all ;).

>>sorry to hear about you hibby wil be praying for both of you. <<

Thank you :). He's also my best friend & my sole mate. First Huz was a jerk! He had his hand surgery today & is doing well. I took a pillow & blanket & slept in the waiting room, hehe.

Toy

6. TKE

TKE New Member

>>So sorry things have really gone downhill for you. Your husband sounds like a doll. It's too bad he is having health problems as well.<<

He is a doll. I wish I could clone him. He does have a short fuse, but not towards me ever.

>>I don't know your living situation, but is it possible to get a house or apartment that is less expensive than where you are living now? Or are you already living in a less expensive place? It sounds like you have already cut down your budget to the bare bones. <<

My house has been in my family since it was built in 1914. Great Grandmother had it bult & she passed away in it. Grandmother then got it & she too passed away in it. I was raised from age 1.5 in this house & have NEVER lived anywhere else. I'm so rooted I doubt I'd ever be able to move.

>>As for the honeysickle bush, it sounds like you had an allergic response to it. I have the same problem with tomatoes. Not the fruit itself, but the plants. When I get done picking tomatoes out of my garden, I have to wash immediately or I will have red, itchy skin. I guess we are just extra sensitive. <<

This is hte first time I ever had any skin problems. My hands flare up now & then still. It almost seems to me more stress related now. I had liver tests done, all OK, so it's not that.

>>I wish I had more answers for you. Financial problems certainly are stressful and not good for either one of you healthwise. I would definitely check out the disability. You said you haven't kept records or gone to the doctor much, but the surgeon you have now may be able to help you. And you don't have to pay an attorney for specializes in disability cases unless you win your case. It's definitely worth looking into. <<

I'm gonna give it a shot & see how it goes. I won't get much, but anything is better than nothing.

Toy
  7. calishygirl

calishygirl New Member

Hi TKE~

Call the SSA toll free number and get an appointment set up for an SSDI application. You need to put EVERYTHING down what is going on with you.

When I applied the first time (04/03), I only put down the lower back. I was denied 08/03, appealed on 09/03 and hired a firm out of Illinois to assist me. (I lived in California at the time.) Anyway, I was approved 12/03.

I am disabled because of the following: (1) non-fusion of cervical & lumbar spine; (2) failed back surgery syndrome; (3) chronic intractible pain; (4) FMS; (6) Chronic Myofascial Pain; (8) Osteoarthritis; (8) Hypercholesterol; (9) Hashimoto's Thyroidism (Hypothyroidism); (10) Asthma

I'm sorry to hear that is going on with your back, and it sounds like the next thing is surgery for you but I would hold off as long as possible. I've had 5 spinal surgeries (2 cervical & 3 lumbar). Can't have you and your hubby both down w/surgeries. I had my last spinal surgery (a lumbar fusion at L3-4) 02/2003, and hubby had a triple bypass 9/2003. I really wasn't healed that well from the surgery but there was nothing I could do about it. I had to hire a housekeeper to come in to clean house for me, and fortunately hubby wasn't eating much post-operatively, so we had frozen food dinners. But it worked for both of us. I had to have my groceries delivered at that time too.

Good luck in applying for SSDI... remember, you put down everything that you have wrong with you.

calishygirl