Been a while/Big med changes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KJ2003, Sep 8, 2005.

1. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted but there have been many changes in my life. Steve and I relocated to Texarkana TX (from Kansas) for better jobs. We're also close enough to New Orleans in that many evacuees have relocated here, as well, and we are doing what we can to help. Being in radio these days is great because I finally feel I am doing something worthwhile in this business.

The last time I posted, I was on MS Contin and Hydrocodone along with Robaxin and other meds for HBP and hormonal problems. Although it helped the pain, I found the dosage would work for a while but, later, need to be upped to provide relief and I, also, began to have a multitude of other problems such as memory loss, heart palpitations, etc. To make a long story short, I pulled myself off all medication for three months to get everything out of my system so I could start all over again.

My diagnosis' (multiple) have really taken their toll on me. Being off medication, I can't tell you the amount of pain I endured. To put one foot in front of the other was a struggle and, at times, I wanted to give up...throw in the towel with my career...and call it a day. It was SO exhausting.

I found a doctor who is, in my opinion, the best doctor I've found thus far. I am now on Ultram and Neurontin (just started Neurontin yesterday) and the combination works very well for me. Also, my cholesterol and triglyceride levels are high so he put me on Lipitor and switched my hormone to Estratest. I still take a water pill (long name that begins with H), too.

The good news is that I no longer have high blood pressure. For the past three doctor visits, it has been 120/77. Thank GOD!

I'm having to revamp my entire way of eating but, luckily, I love brocolli and various vegetables as well as salmon and other types of fish. It will be a challenge but one I know I can handle.

Anyway, it's nice to reconnect again and I'm looking forward to getting to know all the new folks who have joined, as well.

Chin up,

Kim

Diagnosis: Via MRI for cervical and lumbar regions: Osteoporosis, 4 ruptured disks, 3 pinched nerves, bone spurs. Also, Fibromyalgia, (x-ray) severe arthritis and high cholesterol. I suffered a light stroke in 2000.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kim:
    You certainly have been through so much. I am glad your move went fairly easy and that you have found new meds and a doctor who help.
    I have often thought what would I do if I had to move and lose all of my doctors. You made out good with it so it gives me some relief also: just in case.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. CASA02

CASA02 New Member

Dear Kim
    my name is Susie and i have had fms since 96 - first time on a message board - I couldn't believe when I saw your post - i was on sooo much medication that who knew what was helping and what wasn't - so, I went off everything too - as you say it was horrible and I hope it was the right decision - saw my dr last week and we are also starting from square one - neurontin is the first med he wanted me back on - I had taken ultram for about 8 yrs and this summer developed an allergy (rash, itching) so that is out now - i hope the neurontin will get my sleep cycle back - it is horrible now and i am just maintaining each day waiting for relief - i wish you well - please post again and let me know how you are progressing with the neurontin -I also am going back on effexor xr - will keep you posted
    good luck