Been Asked To Attend Pain Clinic...HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Aug 1, 2008.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

The last few months I have been in agony with my right shoulder / left ankle / left knee / spine and all kinds of places.
    All my bones crack so loud....even my groin area cracks.I feel as though I am going to fall all the time when it happens.
    There is a lot of arthritis in my family and I thought mine had gotten worse.

My GP sent me to see a rheumy today and she wants me to go to the pain clinic.I was asked to go hear a few years ago but refused because they want you to attend every day 9 til 3 for a MONTH!!

I suffer terrible insomnia anyway and sleep a lot during the day so how I am supposed to do that I have no idea.

The lady doc was insistent that it WILL HELP.

I have been unable to move for 2 weeks with an abcess on my vaginal area which was sooooo sore I cried with it.I also get them in my anal area and have had 3 this last year.Horrendous they are....wish the doc could get one SO SHE WOULD KNOW PAIN!!!!!

So that was a C**P Day for me.

2. hensue

hensue New Member

That is absurd, i go to a pain clinic every 3 months. Just to regulate your meds so you will not take to many. He also wants to make sure if they are working. What is she talking about. That is crazy!

What is the point? What do they do at the clinic everyday!
    I am so sorry. I would have to go to someone who has a little more empathy.
  3. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

It is actually called a pain RELIEF clinic and they want you to learn how to stretch and talk about things?????

The doc even showed me how(as an example)she could nearly touch her toes at 10am and said that by the end of the day she would be able to?????

I was given a booklet about fibromyalgia and what was in it was NOTHING compared to what we got through.I was so disappointed.Glad that I do NOT have arthritis but unhappy that she did not understand it.

And she was like 2nd in command to a top rheumy professeur as well!!

4. baanders

baanders New Member

they are just treating you like a psychiatric patient in a day hospital. They will make you more tired and control every move you make

Sorry. I just don't want you to go through heartache.
  5. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Hi Rena,
    I think what your doctor is suggesting sounds more like rehab clinic.
    That is usually daily and it is much like going to the gym. It is physical therapy and you work through stations such as treadmill, etc. They help you to rehab back into work.
    I have gone through a pain clinic after a car accident, thus adding this information.
    This is a suggestion so you can ask about it.
    It doesn't sound like protocol for fm and I have doctored for fm for 15 yrs.
    Hope that may give you some insight.
    I also worked as a Physical Therapy Technician in Physical Therapy and at that time a day therapy like this would be used for strength and endurance building.
    Not all doctors know all things...

6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Hi there,

I think you are in the UK yes?

I had a horrible experience with a so-called "pain clinic".

The woman told me she didn't believe in ME and thought FM was caused by depression and deconditioning and insisted on me attending CBT and doing GET.

I got out of there as fast as possible and never went back.

I'm sorry to say all that but just want you to be prepared in case you get the same treatment. I hope you don't! Maybe the cracking might at least validate (in their eyes) your pain and they might give you some infrared treatment on the areas if you ask for it.

I hope you get the right help and sorry about the abcess - that must be very painful.

Gentle hugs,

Bunchy x
  7. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I still feel angry about the doc and the way she was with me.She has NO idea what it is like to be in terrible pain 24/7.
    I wish my IBS had been bad that day I could have blown her out lol!!

Bunchy ....yes I am from UK and I have heard things about this get and cbt stuff.... putting people under pressure .....sounds as though they want people to go through this to get them back to work.HA!!

If I could work again I would!!!!
    I will have to go see my own doc to tell them there is no way I can do that stuff and that it is making me depressed thinking about the forceful way she was.
    Hope my appiontment gets lost in the post!

8. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member