Been called for Jury Duty..??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Oct 3, 2005.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I just received a summons for Jury duty. What do I do? There is no way I could deal w/the stress of jury duty. Do I just write on there that I am disabled? I am suprised they sent it to me since I am on social security disablilty. What should I do now? Thanks
  2. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I got my doc to write a note, sent it back with the summons and was excused. That was a year ago and I have not been called since. I knew I couldnt sit there for days on end. The note stated my illness and that I was unable to stay in one position due to chronic pain.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

just let them know you are unable to carry out jury duty as you are disabled.

Maybe you could phone them to see if a doctor's note is necessary but surely not if you are on social security disability.

love
    Rosie
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

thats what i would do,see the dr that is, failing that the citizens advice buearuex?

not only is it a problem sitting in one position but its also the cognitive dysfunction. how are you supposed to remember whos who?
  5. orachel

orachel New Member

I got stuck on a 2 week jury trial for medical malpractice. Interesting, yes....could I handle it now? No way on Gods green earth! The first thing they asked when we were all gathered in "jury pool" room on day we had to appear is if anyone couldn't serve for any reason..ie: disability.

Also, on the summons I originally recieved, there was a number to call in if you were disabled and felt you couldn't serve.

Good luck!
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

California used to automatically exclude about two dozen professions including mortician; attorney; train engineer, etc.

Don't do that anymore. Then there was a period when I would have a form filled out by my doctor saying I was disabled. Now they don't do that. They want you to come to the courthouse.

I have sent several forms and letters saying I am permanently disabled, but it no longer does any good. (No attorney would want me on a jury anyway because of my previous occupations as a social worker, insurance adjuster, attorney.) The last time I got a summons was the day I got out of the hospital. I just threw it away.

Haven't heard from the jury people for some years now.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

You have to go to the courthouse if you are called for jury duty. I have been called like 3 times in 17 years and that was back when you could have a note from the doctor's. That was about diabetes and the need for snacks, etc.

Hope they have forgotten about me. I'd die in my good shoes for hours. I couldn't remember half of what was being said anyway.

I just dread being called again. I don't normally get up until 11:45 AM anyway, so getting up to be somewhere around 8 or 9 AM, would be a real pain for me.

Probably would have to have DH go with me to find the right place I was supposed to go in the building. I'm terrible with directions...

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Otherwise, you might get excused this time, but you'll get called again and they won't let you pass a second time.

abbylee
  9. suz9601

suz9601 Member

thanks everyone, My doc will write me a note.
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

and find out their proceedure for dismissal. I live in Ca. and they gave me a temporary dismissal. Then I had to get proper forms from them and take to my doctor. Then when I sent them in I made sure I registered the letter so I knew it had been delivered. Be sure to keep a copy of the form the doctor signs.....just in case the first is lost.
  11. bunnyrabs

bunnyrabs New Member

I get summoned all the time lately. I got a district federal court summons only two or three months ago, and recently a county court summons. Got a city summons just over two years ago. I served on the city jury (only lasted a couple of hours), but sent medical/doctor notes back with the federal and county summons. The federal court was 60 miles away, and the county 30 miles away. I am quite sure the federal case would have lasted weeks (I might have needed to get a hotel), and the county a few days at least. My pain and brain would have exploded under those conditions.