Beer Drinking Trivia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaminhealth, Sep 2, 2013.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I went to a different radio station today and got some new trivia...

Top 11 Most/Least Beer Drinking States 2013:

1. North Dakota
    2. New Hampshire
    3. Montana
    4. South Dakota
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Kentucky
    7. Maryland
    8. New York
    9. New Jersey
    10. Connecticut
    11.. Utah (no wonder)

List goes from Most to Least Beer Drinking States.

I like a "good" light beer 1-2 times per year. The warmer states
    didn't make the list, except KY, CA did not make the list. Guess
    CA folks drink lots more wines.

Now did this make your day? jam
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Yes, I guess calif is a trendy wine state. Never cared for beer. We even went up north to a beer making city years and years ago (could that have been Oregon or Washington ?) and I drank a couple sips at the tasting bar and gave them back the glass as others were chugging it down. LOL
  3. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Well, that's interesting. Lot of cold states on that list, but not all of them. I never cared for the
    taste of beer either.

My dad used to sell beer in his restaurant in the 1940s. A beer cost a quarter. But if you wanted
    liquor, you had to drive to an adjacent county or Iowa (which was only 4 miles away). In
    those days beer and pop came in bottles. No aluminum cans. And a 2 cent deposit on each bottle.

Rock
  4. jaminhealth

Oh Rock, I'm kinda surpised PA didn't make that list, my dad drank beer all his life and he owned the family bar after his parents died, a draft back then was 10cents.

Good grief things have changed drastically.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If y'all ever have the chance to watch the documentary, "How Beer Saved The World," be sure to watch it. It's amazing. Everything we have is because of beer. So, here's to beer!

Love, Mikie
  6. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I used to wonder why beer would make me have bad IBS problems. Then, when I went GF, I learned the reason...it contains gluten.

I used to enjoy a really cold beer (only drank about 1/2 can) on a really hot day. I tried GF beer and all I can say is "barf"!:)
  7. jaminhealth

Mikie, what do you mean "everything we have is because of beer" you mean all our horrible health issues in the world...

Hops are supposed to help joints...my dad had hardly any nasty bad health and he drank all his life, not condoning for sure...

I removed my speakers so can't watch anything...but I'll still look at the recommendation from you.
  8. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Windy. What does a sick dog say? Barf! Barf!

Mikie, I went to Youtube and tried to watch "How Beer Saved the World". Alas, the noisy soundtrack was
    too much for me. Anyhoo, the general historical view is that civilization started with agriculture. People
    stopped roaming around and stayed put. Thus is was possible to develop things you couldn't carry with
    you. Like houses. With crops to harvest, people needed baskets and jugs to store the crops in. And they
    developed writing so they could mark the containers to show ownership and contents. And they needed
    to water the crops and developed a calendar to know the time of flooding (Nile valley) and dams to
    control the water supply and tools to dig trenches and etc. And if you need jugs, you develop pottery
    and the potter's wheel. And that means you need tools to work wood. The most significant tool
    in history was the pointed stick. The first plow.

Did beer come before agriculture? Hard for me to understand how they would have had crops to ferment
    to make beer. Anyway, I am very interested in this video. Maybe I can find another, quieter version or
    possible a written form.

Anyhoo, Mikie, if you want a fresh view of history that is both scholarly and fun, look at the books or TV
    programs of James Burke. I think his "Connections" series is on Youtube.

Ya know two of the greatest beer lovers in history: Dave Barry and Homer Simpson. Dave thinks the
    finest times in a man's life are when guys can get together and drink beer and yell at the TV set in
    an attempt to influence the course of the big sporting even. Homer just drinks a lot without really
    saying much except, D'OH!

My typing is getting worse and worser. Better go feed the hound.

Rock
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks, Rock, great explanation.

Jam, if you can find the video, it explains what Rock has said here. One thing leads to another and from beer comes the written word, math, etc.

Windy, from what I understand, Bud Light has no gluten in it. I have some in the fridge but with this UTI, I'm not drinking.

Love, Mikie
  10. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I'm going to have to look up that YouTube video...I have several members in my family that love beer (especially my DH and all 3 sons). They call it "barley pop"...LOL

I had thought the popularity of beer came about because water was so contaminated, they opted for beer (and/or wine) due to the fermentation process...like back in the Dark Ages. I learned a while back (what TV show I can't recall) that mead was originally "organic". Abandoned bee nests were found with "aged honey" making it a natural alcohol...people liked it so much, they figured out a way of aging it themselves. I've never tasted it...wonder if liquor stores sell it? Heck, it's gluten-free!!;) I may take up drinking again...LOL.

So, Rock, you've noticed that about dogs, too!:rolleyes:

I just did a search, Mikie, and Miller Light does contain gluten (barley). Sorry!!!

Windy
  11. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Folks,

Just read the entire thread. I have almost no recollection of any of those posts, including mine.

Back in my yute, Mary Lasswell wrote a series of books on the adventures of 4 old gals who
    were great lovers of beer. She also wrote a cookbook titled, "Mrs. Rasmussen's Book of One
    Armed Cookery". (The other arm was generally holding a beer.)

Rock
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Windy, it is Bud Light, not Miller Lite, which is not supposed to contain gluten.

Love, Mikie