beetroot juice for stamina.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by flossyfudleFran, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hi all,
    i suffer from ME/CFS and fibromyalagia plus game for trying most juices to cleanse my body internally,but also in hopes of gaining more stamina/strength.

today i read in my newspaper something about beetroot juice for going to start drinking it tomorrow,and see if i can prevent the bouts of fatigue and trembling that im currently going through.

anyway heres what was in my newspaper...

a daily glass of veg juice gives athletes more stamina.

sipping beetroot juice allows athletes to perform for longer,new research shows.and it could help with breathing and heart conditions.

scientists say they have been " amazed " by the test results which can be achieved in no other way.

the secret is a nitrate in the juice which makes the blood absorb oxygen more slowly.

research revealed it boosts stamina 16%.

eight men aged 19 to 38 drank 500 ml of juice every day for six days,before completing excercise bike tests.

those who had the beetroot were able to cycle for 11.25 minutes 92 seconds longer than those who had a dummy drink.

scientists think nitrate in the beetroot turns to nitric oxide in the body,reducing the need for oxygen.

the juice is already known to cut blood pressure.

its sexy too

since ancient times,beetroot has been considered an aphrodisiac,it is rich in trace element boron,which boosts sex hormones.

kind regards

ill let you know if beetroot juice helps my CFS and indeed my asthma.
  2. hi all,
    thanks for replying to my post glenp.

ive been buying beetroot from the fruit n vegetable stall.peeling one beetroot.slicing it up,then boiling it in water for about 20 mins.

i then let it go cold,and pour the juice into a 500 ml bottle,and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill.

i,ll then drink it and ive been doing that for a week.

i dont add anything to the beetroot,and its not a unpleasent taste to me.

i keep the used beetroot, and eat it with a salad or a ham cob.

i cant say that ive noticed any stamina at the moment,but then i must admit that im having no trembling like i had a few days ago.

i have found that im in a psoriasis flare up in my fingers nails.

im not saying the beetroot caused this,but rather that a psoriasis flare up, could be the reason for my recent sore throat and trembling.

im not sure just now.

but i do know that ive had a very long remission of the psoriasis of late,like well over a year,so ive been very lucky.

of the beetroot,,,

i will say that after day two i noticed something in my urine.

it wasnt coloured red, like id read could happen while drinking the urine looked of a normal colour.

but i noticed something floating in my urine and im searching for words to describe it just now...

if i where to tip milk into my urine and it made a stringy shape in the urine,then thats what i saw.kind of like that.

anyway after seeing this thing (it only happened one time),im now able to pee better and more often.

i have been retaining urine since ive been on nortriptyline,but i need to be on this tablet because its calming down the muscle spasms that would make my bowels work overtime any place, anytime.

so i would say that my kidneys must be working better while im drinking the 500 ml of beetroot juice.

i drink it after ive been to work, as i dont want to keep running to the toilet.

i,ll let you know if i notice anything else changing in me.and i just want to say that im not having any migraine with the red beet.

take care,love fran.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2009]
  3. Holly-Admin

Holly-Admin Administrator

Hi. Here's another article on beet juice from our library:

"Beet juice more effective than 'any other known means' of enhancing mitochondrial oxygen utilization & physical stamina; lowers blood pressure too"

Entire Article:

"We were amazed by the effects of beet juice on oxygen uptake because these effects [including a 16% boost in cyclists’ endurance, at greater speed] cannot be achieved by any other known means, including training." – Prof. Andrew Jones, University of Exeter

Get to the farmer’s market & plug in that juicer. Drinking beet juice (beetroot in the UK) boosts your stamina and could help you exercise for up to 16% longer, says a University of Exeter-led study, published Aug 6 in the Journal of Applied Physiology(1).

The research shows for the first time how the nitrate contained in beetroot juice leads to a reduction in oxygen uptake, making exercise less tiring. The study reveals, in fact, that drinking beet juice reduces oxygen uptake to an extent that cannot be achieved by any other known means, including training.

The research team believes that the findings could be of great interest to endurance athletes. They could also be relevant to elderly people or those with cardiovascular, respiratory or metabolic diseases.

The research team conducted their study with eight men aged between 19 and 38. They were given 500ml per day [about a pint] of organic beet juice for six consecutive days before completing a series of tests, involving cycling on an exercise bike. On another occasion, they were given a placebo of blackcurrant cordial for six consecutive days before completing the same cycling tests.

After drinking beet juice the group was able to cycle for an average of 11.25 minutes, which is 92 seconds longer than when they were given the placebo. This would translate into an approximate 2% reduction in the time taken to cover a set distance...

Read More:
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thank you so much for posting! and the Pro Health article looks very intriguing too -- my mitochondria need all the help they can get!

Also, beets are excellent for the gallbladder --

5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Beets are a good source of TMG -- tri-methyl glycine. The 3 methyl groups there can be helpful to many people, esp. those with a dietary deficit of methyl groups, and those whose genetics favor wasting of methyl groups. TMG is a supplement that has been found to be helpful to many people.

The anthocyanins that give beets their color are a potent antioxidant.

Interesting that you are having fewer headaches with the beet juice. For some people with frequent migraine, high nitrate (& nitrite) foods like beets are actually a migraine trigger.

Beets are a very high oxalate food. If you are consuming 500 ml/day of pure beet juice, it would be a very good idea to increase your plain water intake as well. High oxalate foods are known cause of a certain type of kidney stone -- very painful. In some people a high-oxalate diet can cause other health problems.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 08/17/2009]
  6. quanked

quanked Member

How was juice prepared? I was wondering about just juicing the beets and drinking the juice rather than boiling. Does it matter?
  7. hi all,
    glenp my migraines were very much eased, after my doctor allowed me to increase my dose of nortriptyline.

when i was just taking one 25mg tablet,i still got the vomiting and pain.

but when i started taking one and a half tablets at night,i did find that i had no vomiting attacks at all,and very mild pain in my head.

i did go to work with the much reduced migraine,but i had that foggy head feeling that we get.

when im feeling like that i try not to talk to much to people that i work with,as i,ll get tongue tied.

all in all,im coping better on the above dose of nortriptyline,so i feel blessed.

take care, love fran.
  8. hi all,
    im still drinking 500ml of beetroot juice daily, and so far ive not had anymore trembling,so thats got to be good news.i hope it stays away for good.

i had noticed that the whites of my eyes seemed to be a bit yellow,and id had instances where some black stuff was coming off my tongue and going onto my toothbrush when i brushed the tongue.i had been a bit concerned about this.

ive been taking nortriptyline 25 and a half tablets at night for a while now,but never had a leaflet with this tablet.

this month my new box of tablets came with a leaflet,and the above mentioned things are down as being side affects,but if they arent too troublesome, then i dont have to see the doctor.(so says the leaflet).

so im relieved to know why its happening,and i do believe the beetroot juice is helping my kidneys to cope,as im able to empty my bladder without problems.water retention is a side affect of the nortriptyline too.

another thing that ive noticed while im drinking the beetroot juice is that my nasal passages dont seem to be itchy and dry for some reason.this used to bother me alot before the juice.

i used to have a sort of white crusty discharge that seemed to always be around the outside of my nasal passages.

and this past week it hasnt been there.the only new thing that im trying is the beetroot juice.

i do think that the juice is helping to clean the kidneys,and that some of my issues have been due to my medication.

i never drink the juice around the same time, that i take my medication.which is at night.

i drink the juice about 1.30 pm,which happens to be a few hours before i go to my part time job.that way if theres any extra stamina there,im using it at work or while cycling there.

i do know that i need to be on the nortriptyline as it helps me to cope with this difficult condition that i live with daily.and keeps depression at bay,plus helps me greatly with sleep issues.

take care all,love fran

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2009]
  9. hi all,
    i just wanted to let you all know that im still drinking the water that ive boiled a beetroot in,,,(after letting the water go cold,of course).

i can report that i do most definately have more stamina/strength,and it seems to be in my legs.

i can now bike ride in 4 th gear,which is a first for me,and ive been bike riding for over three years, and had never managed gear 3 before, let alone 4th gear.

the beetroot was the only new thing that i tried so it has to take the credit for my recent stamina burst.

i slice one beetroot up,put it in a small saucepan with enough water to just cover the root.i will then boil it for 15 mins.then let it go cold,and drink it.

love fran.
  10. bakeman

bakeman New Member

what about beetroot powder? anybody try it? i wonder if it has the same qualities as the juice? beet juice is expensive & beets are hard to find where i live. the powder is cheaper too.

11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

What concerns me is "The study reveals, in fact, that drinking beet juice reduces oxygen uptake..." ME/CFS causes a reduction in oxygen uptake as it is. When my CFS went mild I was able to SCUBA dive and every time I went I always had about half a canister of air leftover when everyone else's was gone. I'd even ask people to conserve their air so we could stay down longer and they always agreed but this happened every time no matter whom I dove with. Years later I read that PWC don't absorb as much oxygen as others.

SnooZQ, thank you for the warning about kidney stones too. I sure don't want to start having those.

I don't mean to be negative here. I was very interested in trying beetroot juice daily to see if it helped me but now I think I'll pass. It would be great if it helped people. I do eat a lot of beets but haven't noticed them helping me more than any other food. They are nutritious and low-fattening and the canned ones are good too. I like to mix them with cucumbers and tomatoes and make beet salad from them.

Huh, I just came across this "A very good remedy for kidney stones involves the drinking of homemade beet juice. Boil fresh beets and when the liquid cools drink the juice from the beets. This should help dissolve the stones enough to allow passage of them through the urinary tract. Beets are a great natural remedy for kidney stones,infection and bladder problems."

Well, my guess is that homemade Beetroot juice is probably good for you but the bottled kind may not be so great. I think I'll still just keep to eating them though. I would think you would get the same benefit from eating them as you would from the juice right?

[This Message was Edited on 09/18/2009]
  12. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, flossyfudleFran.

I find your experience with beetroot juice fascinating. Recently I heard from another PWC that she also experienced benefit from beetroot juice.

I don't know for sure why it helps. I've seen the suggestion about nitrate. but here's another hypothesis: It's a fact that beets are rich in betaine (which is why it's called that), which is also known as trimethylglycine or TMG. Perhaps it's the betaine that is giving you the benefit. I see that this has already been mentioned on this thread.

How would this happen? Well, betaine stimulates the alternative pathway in the methylation cycle in the liver, the kidneys and the lens of the eye. This is called the BHMT pathway, which stands for betaine homocysteine methyltransferase. The BHMT pathway converts homocysteine into methionine.

It's interesting to note here that you have reported better kidney function. That would make sense in terms of this hypothesis. The kidneys are low in glutathione in many PWCs, as evidenced by the high pyroglutamic acid levels observed in urine organic acids tests. Boosting the methylation cycle may be raising glutathione in the kidneys, and that would counter oxidative stress in the kidney cells and remove the partial block in the Krebs cycle, allowing a higher rate of production of ATP. This would increase the fuel supply for a large number of reactions in the kidney cells, and their function would be expected to improve.

As you may know, the GD-MCB (glutathione depletion--methylation cycle block) hypothesis for CFS proposes that a block in the methylation cycle is at the biochemical root of CFS. Stimulating the BHMT pathway would help to correct this in the organs where it is present. The effect would be to lower homocysteine and to raise methionine and S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe). Perhaps SAME that is produced in the liver is being circulated in the blood, and some is getting to the muscles in the legs. Raising SAMe in these muscles may be raising glutathione there, since SAMe is located upstream in the sulfur metabolism from the synthesis of glutathione.

The importance of raising glutathione in the muscles is that according to the GD-MCB hypothesis, the depletion of glutathione is what is allowing oxidizing free radicals to block the Krebs cycle. That limits the production of ATP, and ATP is what fuels the contractions of the muscles. So lifting this block would allow the muscles to operate more normally, in a similar way to the suggested mechanism for improving the kidney function.

I realize that this sounds like a complex argument, but I think it is actually pretty straightforward in terms of the biochemistry.

If this hypothesis is correct, I think it means that your response to beetroot juice is evidence that you have a partial methylation cycle block. And if this is the case, I think you would benefit from the simplified treatment approach for lifting this block.

I suggest getting the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel run first to verify this, and then, if it turns out to be true, I suggest that you, together with your physician, consider the simplified treatment approach for lifting the methylation cycle block. Below are the contact information for the panel, and the revised protocol for the simplified treatment approach. I am not financially involved with the test or the treatment.

Best regards,

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel costs $300 and requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on your clinician’s letterhead.

Available from:

Vitamin Diagnostics, Inc.
    Rt. 35 & Industrial Drive
    Cliffwood Beach, NJ 07735
    Phone:+1 (732) 583-7773
    Fax: +1 (732) 583-7774)

Lab Director: Tapan Audhya, Ph.D.
    (usually at the lab on Tues. and Wed. from 1 to 3 p.m., Eastern time)

Dr. Audhya is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

April 18, 2009

(Extracted from the full treatment program
    developed by Amy Yasko, Ph.D., N.D.
    which is used primarily in treating autism [1])

1. FolaPro [2]: ¼ tablet (200mcg) daily
    2. Actifolate [3]: ¼ tablet daily
    3. General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula [4]: start with ¼ tablet and work up dosage as tolerated to 2 tablets daily
    4. Phosphatidyl Serine Complex [5]: 1 softgel capsule daily
    5. Activated B12 Guard [6]: 1 sublingual lozenge daily

All these supplements can be obtained from, or all but the third one can be obtained from other sources.
    The first two supplement tablets are difficult to break into quarters. We recommend that you obtain (from any pharmacy) a good-quality pill splitter to assist with this process. They can, alternatively, be crushed into powders, which are then separated on a flat surface using a knife or single-edged razor blade, and the powders can be mixed together. They can be taken orally with water, with or without food.
    These supplements can make some patients sleepy, so in those cases they take them at bedtime. They can be taken at any time of day, with or without food.
    GO SLOWLY. As the methylation cycle block is lifted, toxins are released and processed by the body, and this can lead to an exacerbation of symptoms. IF THIS HAPPENS, try smaller doses, every other day. SLOWLY work up to the full dosages.
    Although this treatment approach consists only of nonprescription nutritional supplements, a few patients have reported adverse effects while on it. Therefore, it is necessary that patients be supervised by physicians while receiving this treatment.

[1] Yasko, Amy, and Gordon, Garry, The Puzzle of Autism, Matrix Development Publishing, Payson, AZ, 2006, p. 49.
    [2] FolaPro is a registered trademark of Metagenics, Inc.
    [3] Actifolate is a registered trademark of Metagenics, Inc.
    [4] General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula is formulated and supplied by Holistic Health Consultants LLC.
    [5] Phosphatidyl Serine Complex is a product of Vitamin Discount Center.
    [6] Activated B12 Guard is a registered trademark of Perque LLC.