Before you got sick were you a glass-half-full type?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happygranny, Sep 9, 2005.

1. happygranny

happygranny Member

In reading a lot of the posts here I do get the feeling that a lot of us were "Glass-half-full" types, rather than the Half-empty type of personality.

My husband gets a bit frustrated with my eternal optimism, but I like it, it makes this misery easier to live with.

How about you?

happygranny
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

If life gives you lemons make lemonade. If life gives you limes make a margarita! Lynn
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

I guess your name says it all, huh?! I'm the optimist
    in the family as well. Half full before CFS/FM ... and thrilled that it's not going to kill me. ( Said that just last night to my Mom.)

Positive that at my next hormone panel on the 26th we'll find more to adjust and I'm going to feel even better!

Half full all the way ...

Elsa
  4. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

When I was younger, I was an optimist...to my detriment. As I've gotten older, it depends on the day, subject, weather and the person in whom I am speaking.

Normally, if I am alone, I'm fairly optimistic...

;)

Chin up,

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2005]
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have always been a half/empty kind of person. It seems to work out better because if I don't expect the best and do expect the worst, I am happy when something good does happen instead of my worst case scenario. Just the way I am wired, I think. Some of are optimists and some of us aren't. Just the way it is.

I am very type A...I can do anything...get out of my way...until my body said, "STOP!"

Glad most of you are half fulls...much easier or are you disappointed often? I would love an answer to that question.

Thanks,
    Sue
  6. happygranny

happygranny Member

My husband and I have this discussion sometimes because he is a 1/2 empty, like you.

He says, like you, it is better to not expect good things to happen because you just get dissappointed.

I say it is better to expect good things because:
    1. You are in a good mood most of the time because you are expecting good things and when something dissappointng happens you can shrug it off more easily as you "Know" that something else good will come along eventually.

2. When you exude positive energy and an expectation of good things, that positive energy comes back to you.

When something "Bad' happens I feel like my mind is scanning the future looking for something positive to come of it. I can't seem to stop doing that, it just happens to me.

Rather simplistic, I know, especially when you think of the horrors going on in the world, but it works for me.

Thanks to everyone for their input to this question.

happygranny

7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I'm a glass half full person too. I do think I try to be too helpful and get myself misunderstood a lot by some people, though.

I really don't complain much in words to hubby. I'm always asking him if he needs any help with this or that. Usually he says he doesn't.

I'm a lucky lady because my hubby was a cook in the army and he likes to cook and he is very good at it. ;)

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. happygranny

happygranny Member

We have 4 half-fulls and 2 half emptys so far.

anyone else?

happygranny
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Always a glass half-empty person...just my personality, I guess. My husband is a glass half-full person, though, which works out great for us. I think you need both, actually. Optimism's great, but sometimes is too idealistic. Pessimism's lousy, but sometimes you need that shot of realism.

We've got both, & it works out well. But getting FM didn't change that one way or the other, to answer your original query.

Hugs,
    Pam

10. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

I was a half full kind of person. I almost managed to convert my husband to finding the silver lining in the cloud. Now, it depends on the day. I like being half full, but I have been disappointed so frequently lately, that it's rather difficult to keep up.

The past 5 days or so have been half empty. I hope tomorrow dawns better.

SingFMAway
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My husband is also a half-full person, and yes, it does work well. Sometimes his enthusiasm must be checked by my reality! But, he is fun and gets me to do things I never thought I'd do.

I really think it's the way we're wired...course, life experiences either reinforce it or diminish it. But, I'm glad I'm not alone. I have to go back and see who else is half-empty. I thought I was the only one 'til you, but HG said there were two before you. Hummm.

Sue
  12. Juloo

Juloo Member

Believe it or not, I've never known WHAT to say when asked this question. Basically, you're asking if I'm an optimist or pessimist? Or maybe, do I expect things will improve or will they deteriorate?

For question translation number one, I can't say that I'm either. I lean to the pessimist side, but to be more accurate, I'm a 'hopeful skeptic', whatever that is.

I'm not sure about question translation number two. I HOPE they'll improve. I seek out ways for them to improve. But experience has shown me that I'm not always in direct control of the situation, so I just keep plugging along and try not to get too attached to either scenario.

On further thought -- reading this over -- that sounds a lot like a 'half empty', doesn't it.

Or maybe that leaves me sitting squarely on the middle of the fence which you know (squirm, squirm...OUCH!) can be a mightily uncomfortable place to be!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2005]
  13. auntcon

auntcon New Member

How depressing to have these DDs without feeling like at some point we will be better.

Everyday I try to send the kiddos to school with a prayer and a hope for a good day.

I always tell them to "Have a DAY"
    Because although whatever the day brings good or bad it's the Day the Lord has given them. and with that in mind how can we not be optimistic.

connie
  14. pepper

pepper New Member

I have always been a half-full type although I find that sometimes it is harder to keep that attitude with these DD's. However, it does help me not give up, keep on trying new things because one of these days we are all gonna get better!

(((HUGS)))Pepper
  15. happygranny

happygranny Member

I am thinking about how we keep looking for a cure, trying all the different theories out there, despite how miserable we all feel, none of us are ready to give up!

The idea that just around the corner will be "The Cure" or at least something that will help us feel partially better....

My husband is 1/2 empty type, and like a few of you have said, we need them to keep us at least partially grounded in reality- such as it is :-(

happygranny
  16. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I truly believe one of the keys to happiness is having a positive mental attitude. Expecting the worst can be a self fulfilling prophecy. You create your own destiny and how you handle the disapointments and downs in life is up to you. I know people handling worse problems than I am and they manage to inspire me.

The world can be a scary, depressing unfair place but it can also be a beautiful uplifting place full of hope. I'm not saying be naive of course be careful but I am saying you can laugh or cry and which you do is your choice. I would rather laugh. Lynn
  17. happygranny

happygranny Member

That is the way I tend to live my life, and it sounds so easy, doesn't it? You are probably like me in that attitude comes natural to you. Yet, for others it is not so easy. It is especially difficult for those with depression.

My first born daughter is the type, at age 37, to always answer the question: " how are you?" with an "Oh, alright, I guess" She seems to not be able to help thinking the worse and that seems to be what keeps happening to her.

I have tried to convince her to talk to her doctor about anti-depressants, but she is resistant.

Most of my life I had no patience for people who were depressed. I would think " snap out of it!" Once I started with the symptoms of FMS and CFS I had a much better understanding of depression, though I denied it for a long time until, crying one day in the doctors office, he started asking me questions about how I feel, Dx me with depression and put me on anti-depressants (celexia).

Now all I need to take is 50 mgs of Trazedone at night and I am in much better spirits than I was for a few years.

Mental health is so difficult to understand and deal with.

When I first posted the question about 1/2 full or empty I was wondering in general whether most of us were the More positive type or not.

I thing, from this message line that there are more of us with the 1/2 full outlook, despite the misery of our illness.

I am no psychologist, so don't know what it means, but I do find it food for thought....

happygranny
  18. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

happygranny

I agree with you. Serious Depression is an illness that you cannot think away. Trust me I have had my moments of why me. I have had a few pity parties. I wasn't trying to make light of depression! Thanks for the thread. Lynn
  19. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I am a "glass 1/2 full" and a firm believer in collective mind power and self-fulfilling prophecies, so I try to maintain a positive perception and try to see the "message" behind a setback, rather than the setback itself. I try. Not to suggest I always succeed. And I feel chastised sometimes by people who thnk surely I must be lying or shutting them out if I claim to be doing "really well" or "as well as can be expected and getting better!" They can see all that is going on and expect me to be miserable, but I can't afford to be. Then I feel as if they maybe doubt because I don't "wear it" so heavy.
  20. happygranny

happygranny Member

I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder if I keep talking in positive terms, people might not understand how awful I truly feel.

One of my favorite expressions lately is "This too shall pass."

It helps me to think that when I am in an especially bad flare.