Beginning the battle

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by discoverygal, Nov 7, 2006.

1. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have just been diagnosed with FM last week and am afraid of the battle I may be looking at in finding a doctor who will help. Already, the rhuem. doc who diagnosed me won't give me anything for pain and has passed me on to my GP who know next to nothing about FM. I can see an uphill adventure ahead.
    Does anyone have any tips?
    Thanks
    And I love this site, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Lots of hugs
    Danette
  2. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Why won't your Rheumy give you anything for pain? I'm wondering because my Rheumy seems reluctant also to give me much for pain and I can't figure out why.

Anyway, lots of luck. Hope your GP helps you with your pain. MIP
  3. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Hi mommy,
    I think he just didn't want to deal with me. My guess is that he doesn't know much about FM and just didn't want to learn.
  4. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

Welcome to the board.

I had a problem getting pain meds from my Rheumy too. He literally said that the pain meds really won't help much and that getting a good night's sleep and my depression under control is the key.

One specific, horrible day, I called him from work, almost in tears, and told him I NEED HELP NOW, I FEEL LIKE I'M GONNA DIE. He called me in a script and has been prescribing them ever since, although I get the lecture every time I see him. He still maintains they won't help and I tell him without the meds, I wouldn't be able to function some days. We seem to agree to disagree.

Anyway, sometimes you have to direct. I am not a demanding person, but, in this instance, I truly needed help and he came thru for me.

Good luck and talk to ya soon,

Theresa
  5. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

The more you educate yourself about FM, the better for you, when you talk to your doctor.

I am blessed to have a really empathatic gp that really understands that I'm sick. They are rare, and this is not the only doc I've been to.

Are there any support groups in your area. That can help you in knowing which docs are the best and they can help you in dealing with this new diagnosis. I did that when I was first dx'd and it helped me out.

My doc gives me pain med. (very mild) Tramadol and muscle relaxers Baclofen and Flexeril. This helps but doesn't get rid of the pain. I have pain 24/7, but there are other ways to deal with it, like distractions, such as soothing music and meditation, prayer.

Hope this helps you, sees