Beginning to feel the Holiday blues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I know it is still early for the Holidays, but every year around this time I start feeling anxious about the Holidays. This year might be even worse since my job is in trouble, I might not have one by the end of the year, my poor old mom is showing too many signs of slowing down, which I know is normal, but it is hard to watch her memory going and needing more help with everyday things. My body is slow enough and my memory is awful sometimes, this just adds to the anxiety.

I started the Southbeach diet months ago, and even though I have not lost the kind of weight that I should have, the Holidays will totally blow that diet away. I have tried so hard to stay away from carbs and sugar, but it is impossible around the Holidays. I would like to for once "enjoy" my food, but my weight keeps reminding me that I have to Southbeach for the rest of my life, which I hate. This diet is way too restrictive for the Holidays, LOL.

Also, I just can't afford Christmas this year, I have a very small family, so I don't really have to spend much, but the expectation is there.

Maybe I am feeling this way because I have been flaring for a while, feeling extra achey, headaches, such bad fatigue that I am irritable, moody, and I just don't want the Holidays around.

I wish there was a way I can "thrwart" the Holidays, pretend they are not coming up, pretend it doesn't bother me that I am alone again this year. Am I sounding pathetic? I probably do, but honestly, I just want to crawl in a hole and stay there until mid January, LOL.

If any of you out there hate the Holidays, and I do realize that not everyone does, but for those who do, how do you deal with them? I find Christmas, Thanksgiving and even Halloween annoying and draining. Just had to vent a little. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Oh, but I do want to do the sugars...........:) just kidding, no really, I have anxiety just thinking about those sugars that give such great momentary pleasure, but my fibro body fights me with them.

I loved the Holidays when I was a kid, actually, I think the Holidays are for kids. No school, games and toys, the security of your parents and a home, you NEVER thought about being alone as a kid, right? Putting up the Christmas tree and all the energy? New Year's eve parties. That is what makes the Holidays, but oh how things change.

You have your daughter and grandkids, very nice, they are an extension of who you are. I don't have kids, just one nephew that I am not close to anymore, he is 12 almost a teenager, need I say more :)

I tend to fall in the category of "expectations" every single year. And I do realize I do that, but can't help it. I laughed when you said you can just sleep thru the Holidays, me too, as a way to escape them.

Maybe I should find an anti-anxiety natural supplement that could help me through these next couple of months, hate that I would have to do that, but I might try. Hugs to you always, Chelz.
  3. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I'm with Jammin' on how to handle the "Hoopla". As I slowly learn that I have limitations, each year I've been limiting my commitments, lowering my expectations, and trying not to feel obligated to do what I think everyone else expects of me (show up with or at least buy gifts). With a shorter to-do list, there's much less to think about and more time to take care of myself which is a full-time job already because like you, I'm flying solo. Namaste.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had years and years of holidays with my kids and family so I don't feel as though I've missed anything. I used to go up to Atlanta for Thanksgiving but it's getting to be too much for me. I also went to CO just before Christmas but that trip is even more exhausting. Remember when flying was actually fun and something to look forward to?

Neither my kids nor I need anything so we make donations in each other's names for Christmas. I shop for gifts for my grandson. I'll order his big thing online and have it delivered to Atlanta. I've been picking up some smaller things which I'll mail.

We've been brainwashed by all the hoopla around us since childhood so that we feel as though we are not "normal" unless we are having Norman Rockwell holidays with family around the table. Here in FL, we often spend holidays at the beach or pool. There are so many single people down here that many often spend the holidays with friends. Me, I am fine just being alone and I don't feel a bit sorry for myself or that I'm missing something.

Many people, including "normals," get the holiday blues. It's much more common than most of us know.

Love, Mikie