Being bipolar and having FM...not a joy ride

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I don't know if I have ever shared this,probaly have I do talk alot,but I am bipolar.Been dx. for a few years now na dbeing treated well with medication.But as we all know medicine dosen't fix everything all the time.The ups and downs of bipolar can be extreme and I haven't hit the bottom and stayed there for too long but that fear of losing sight of what matters is always lurking close by.In my home I have 2 daughters with bipolar.One has FM and the other is disabled.Let me tell ya,it is like walking on egg shells around here sometimes.Well, most of the time here lately.I am the buffer for them and I am losing my cushion.My oldest is really having ahard time now.She is in amixed state of bipolar...you are depressed and manic at the same time.Very serious condition.I know that FM has been considered on mentall illness.I personally don't think it is.But when you do have a mental disorder it is so hard to balance the two.And also with FM there is always some other medical problem attached to it.

I was wondering are there others here like me?I know it is hard to admit to a mental disorder and if you don't feel like sharing that is SO ok.I understand.Mentall illness is still viewed as a sign of weakness to so many.Even last night when I asked my daughter to take her meds. early to help her calm down she made the comment of how that made her feel weak and out of control.I think that anyone with any kind of medicaly condition that gets up and does something everyday with their lives is a fighter.Even getting out of bed and brushing your teeth is an accomplishment somedays,believe me I have been there many times.

Well,just wanting to talk to someone that can relate or just get a "You will be OK" from anyone is all I need right now.I have excepted the burden I have to carry but today it is harder than I can barely stand.

Thanks in advance for the support.
    Sheila
  2. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I really appreciate the understanding.It is hard being off in the head,lol.I am calmer now.This morning was a whopper of a morning,really brought me down.My calmness of course comes from God and partly due to the fatigue and pain of FM.When I get to feeling this way physcially I kind of black out all emotions.I guess you call it that " brain fog" thing.Gods natural sedative.
    Take care and thank you again.
    Sheila
  3. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I'm bi polar and have been since I was a teenager, I'm now 51, I went undiagnosed until I was in my late 40's and ohhh the stories I could tell you about my life!! the past couple of years I have been taking Seroquel and it has changed my life, my manic phases are very mild and I rarely get depressed anymore. Since I switched Ad from zoloft to cymbalta my brain has been much more quiet, very rarely do I have the dreaded racing thoughts that used to take me to the edge.
    I'm here most every night so if you want to talk I'm glad to offer my support.
  4. emiltim

emiltim New Member

I am bi-polar too. My dr. just switched my meds from paxil to cymbalta...so here I am at 2:24am, wide awake! Can't take an ambien, because I have to be up at 5am to get ready for work.

I tried Lamictal (anti-seizure), but it made me more irritable- definately not a good thing! lol. I am a single mom, and i hate that my kids have to put up with this!

-Julie