Being led to the bathroom at night

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Oct 15, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

In the middle of the night, when I get up to go to the bathroom, Shelby the cat appears and must lead me to the bathroom EVERY SINGLE TIME. Sometimes she comes in the bathroom and other times she waits in the doorway--LIKE I MIGHT ESCAPE FROM HER UNNOTICED SO SHE HAS TO KEEP ME IN VIEW. When I am finished, she leads me back to bed.

I told her that she makes me feel incompetent. I promised her that I can find the bathroom myself and won't end up in my pajamas stumbling half asleep across the Mexican border (which is many hours away) looking for my bathroom. I don't think the cat believes me.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

She doesn't make you feel incontinent. Oh, bad joke! That Shelby knows what she's doing. Animals love to earn their keep. When I was bedridden most of the time, I had to hang onto the wall to find my way to the bathroom without falling down. Shelby is an amazing cat. Just knowing how much you are loved by her should be very healing. A psychic once told me that different animals play different roles. Some are "helpers." Sounds to me as though Shelby is a Helper Cat.

So far, I can't figure out what kind of cat Tweety is. I think she thinks I'm her helper. Or, maybe she is a helper. She helps herself to everything :)

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

2Cats - Looks like you do have a guard kitty making sure you make it OK to the bathroom and that no one comes to steal you, or anything at all, in the night.

Diane- Not sure how far you have to go to the bathroom but youmight want to get yourself a small night light or two. Hopefully there are little outlets along the way that you can plug some into.

I do not have to far to go as we have a bathroom right off our bedroom but we both have to have a night light in the bathoom. If we didn't have that we could have to keep the light on all night and the door open part way to the bathroom.

Please be careful so you do not fall again and maybe next time will be worse and you could really get hurt. Don't want that, for sure.

Love,
    Granni

4. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

I think animals just know when we need help. Love the story of your guidance kitty!

I have the opposite problem. When I need to get to the bathroom in a hurry, my Rottie likes to rush ahead of me and starts drinking out of the toilet. Have to shove her aside and sit. This only happens at night for some reason.

Georgia
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Georgia - That is to funny about Rottie drinking out of the toilet and you are in a hurry to get there first !. Hope you don;t sit on her head some day.

Hugz,
    Granni
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I'm sorry Georgia, but I had to laugh about your Rottie beating you into the bathroom to drink out of the toilet. HA HA. Don't you love our furry kids.

I have my bedroom and hall set up with nightlights that go on at dark because I have those bad PTSD nightmares and I wake up and I have to be able to recognize where I am so I know I am out of the nightmare. So I can see cats pretty well.

Shelby the cat is bossy, and rules the whole place, but she seems to know that she has good instincts for what is best for me. So she pesters for me to go lay down when I am at the desk and I'm getting in pain and I keep going trying to finish. She will also pester to get me to go to bed when it is time for me to go to bed.

Cesar the cat is the guy who comes to me and stands up and pushes his head against my face because he wants me to kiss his head. As I kiss his head, he'll move it all around so I kiss it all over. I hold him in my arms like a baby, on his back, and he'll fall asleep in my arms. He is a super character, and the greatest depression lifter.

For a few months now, I have been going into PTSD flashbacks during the day sometimes when I experience triggers on the TV and it has been hard. Both cats help during these flashbacks in which it feels like I am right back there experiencing a past trauma of intense pain. Both cats are bumping against me, and patting my hands (not clawing) and meowing lightly. I can hear and feel them through the flashback and it's like furry paws reaching through to help me come out of it. And I do. They've dealt with it so much, they know what to do.

7. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

has a good idea. A nightlight. Maybe you could attach it to
    Shelby's head. Sortofa seeing eye cat.

2Cat, that's amazing how the kitties help you. Was that
    part of their training?

Rock
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Will get right in front of you and you trip over them. I have to move slowly around these guys. Sylvester came in yesterday for his cream, some treats and to be brushed. With his long hair, we all take every opportunity to brush him when he's around. Tweety comes every day but Sylvester only comes in ever two or three days. He's such a sweet little guy. Tweety came in demanding to get up on my lap yesterday afternoon so she could nap. I wait until she's really out of it and move her to the loveseat. At that point, she doesn't care. She makes starfish paws and mews sweetly in her sleep so I think she is a very contented kitty who has sweet dreams.

Love, Mikie

BTW, love the light for kitty's head. Bright lights, big kitty. That one's for you, Rock.
  9. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

You are such a scamp. Have not read the book, but might get
    around to it. "Bright Lights, Big City" was also a movie and a musical.

Reminds me of the Illuminati; a historical group. Some people think the
    members were very naughty.

Here's a little something I just posted as a news comment. Some guy on a
    plane who had been drinking, woke up all confusiated and ran to the
    emergency door and tried to open it just after landing. Somebody posted
    he had probably been dreaming about a wedding and just ran down the
    wrong aisle.

My post: Aisle bet he had no wrongful intent at all.

Rock
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

2Cats with "baby" Cesar . That was the sweetiest and cutest story about him wanting you to kiss his head all over and wanting to be held like a baby. How old is he and Shelby?

It is funny too that apparently Shelby is so different and is "bossy". I know they must be so helpful to you and keep you going at all times, including when it is time for you to go to bed :)!

Hugz,
    Granni
  11. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I never trained my two cats to help during flashbacks, but I baby/help them when they are recovering from being under for teeth cleaning and teeth extraction and I think they just pay back the favor. I've heard of other people who are disabled or have medical problems and animals step in to help. Their senses are more keen than ours and they pick up things way before we do.

Cesar will be 14 years old in a few months and Shelby will be 12 years old in a few months. Shelby is bossy and runs the house. Cesar is the lovey guy who wants his head kissed every day--I tell him he is my "infant child."

I love that Tweety always comes to sit in Mikie's lap and then falls so sound asleep. That means he feels so safe and secure and I'm glad he has that, he deserves it. I'm glad that Tweety, Sylvester and Simon have Mikie and her friends to care for them.

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rock you KNOW your puns just make my day! Really! Puns have gotten a bad rap. To me, it takes intelligence to make puns and to appreciate them.

Granni, yes, I love it that the kitties each has his or her own personality. Sylvester is the responsible brother, looking out for his sister. He's quietly competent and a perfect gentleman. Tweety is a princess sashaying in front of him to get to the cream first. She feels so entitled.

2CD, when we all realized that these cats would never be able to be raised inside, we kind of circled the wagons around them and vowed to give them security. I know outside cats have a hard time sleeping soundly as they have to be alert to danger. When they come in, they go into a much deeper sleep. They will also sleep deeply out on the balcony if any of us is around. It does take a village. I wish poor old Simon were so lucky. Still, he has kitty friends to hang out with, food to eat and places to rest that are fairly secure.

Love, Mikie