Being Sensitive to EVERYTHING Really Sucks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brella, Dec 8, 2011.

1. brella

brella New Member

I just got diagnosed a few days ago with arthritis of 4 facet joints (in my lumbar spine). Today I went to get 4 epidural injections of cortisone. However, only 1 of the 4 were done because it hurt extremely bad! I could feel the doctor feeding the epidural catheter through the tissues in my back, even after numbing the area. The procedure started to hurt so badly, that I started crying, I felt nauseous and my legs started shaking uncontrollably. He told me that because of my fibromyalgia, all my tissues are extremely sensitive, more sensitive to the procedure than people without FM.

When I got in the car, I started crying my eyes out. I feel stupid that I couldn't even tolerate this procedure which I was hoping would decrease at least my back pain. I feel so stupid that I freaked out from the pain and started crying in front of the medical staff. I know it's not my fault and I shouldn't feel stupid but I do. I'm sick of being sensitive to all types of touch, smells, sounds, standing too long, sitting too long, laying too long...I'm really sick of having fibromyalgia!
  2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I had a conversation with my sister the other day stating that I was SO SICK of being sensitive to everything too.

Believe me, I have gone to 3 chiropractors, couldn't tolerate any of them, even the "Tens" unit they use on so many people made my shins and feet tingle and my nerves started jumping everywhere. I also have gone to physical therapy only to be dropped after 3 months because the couldn't do anymore for me.

I would tell the physcial therapist, "I can't do those moves" or " I can't bend in those kind of ways" because if I do, I get a flare up of my FM, I am miserable and crabby for at least 3 days.

The other day, my mom had some people over and she made espresso coffee, she warned me not to drink it, but I just wanted to have a cup of coffee like most all people do and I just had to not think about how it was going to make me feel. Within 3 hours, I was shaking, my heart was pounding out of my chest, I was so fatigued, not energized by the caffeine, but felt totally out of it.

This is when I broke down and started crying. How can one live when you are sensitive to the weather, food, coffee, physical therapy, chiropractors, and expecially medications, any kind of alcohol or sugar, I felt like crawling in a hole.
    Oh, and I forgot, perfume, which I used to love, I can't wear anymore, which perfume always made me feel more feminine, can't do it.

Of course, for people who don't have sensitivities do not realize what a loss this really is, so I understand. I have cried over and over because I feel like I have to baby my body and mind all the time, or else, I will suffer the consequences in a big way.

I am sick of fibromyalgia too. I have horrible low back pain that wraps around both of my hips now and goes straight into the abdominal area, and if I'm not careful how I stand, sit, bend, it will get excrutiating and this is what makes me anxious and crabby.

But please, do not feel stupid about this. I know what you are saying, really I do, but do not put yourself down. What you are feeling is a special kind of frustration from pain and all its problems and you feel you can't escape it, or at least that is how I feel. The only time I don't hurt is when I sleep, but, if I wake up in the middle of the night it is there, when I wake up in the morning it returns with a vengence, how can anyone feel happy and positive about starting your day that way.

One day at a time is all we can do. Hugs always, Chelz.
  3. brella

brella New Member

Jam - the reason it's 4 injections is because I have arthritis in 4 different joints in my back. But I could only tolerate 1 of the 4 before it started hurting too much.

Thanks all for your support :)
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. Our brains do amplify our pain so that what others may experience as mild pain, we may suffer as intolerable pain. Our sensory overload comes from the brain as well. Our neurons over fire and misfire. This can create a slight state of seizure for us. Anti-seizure meds often help. I take Klonopin and others take Lyrica or neurontin. These drugs have side effects and should be discussed with your doc if you consider taking one of them.

The Klonopin works better the longer I'm on it. Without it, I cannot tolerate light, sound, touch, movement and smells. Klonopin has been shown in studies to stop the pain signals from the brain as well.

Is your doc offering anything else in the way of easing your back pain? If not, perhaps you should get another opinion. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. mimmic

mimmic Member

Same here. Other people cant understand even pleasant smells irritate us. Some foods while cooking even bother me. My husband tries to find all the unscented products he can-for example-soap, shampoo, etc. and it is not always easy he tells me. that is an example of why these illnesses are not just fatigue and pain. I agree with mikie it has to be from the brain. Its the pits trying to live with this, but I try to remember that others have so much worse to deal with/ I know Iam still very blessed. carolyn
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I'm sensitive to all the above mentioned and more! I'm sitting here right now worrying because I just accidentally took some Children's Waldryl (like Benadryl). I take 1/4 of one children's melt away tablets to help with allergys and help me sleep each day.

If I take more, I get very dry mouth and nasal passages. A few minutes ago, I intended to take some Gas-X. The boxes sit side by side in the cabinet and both tables are a pinkish color. I was talking to my husband at the time and distracted. After taking the antihistimine I realized by the sweet taste that I took the wrong med. This is more than I usually take at one time and I'm a liitle worried about the side effects. Don't know yet.

I get brain fog more lately and I do these things sometimes. I'm a little more stressed than usual by all the holiday stuff that's on my mind. Nothing major, just little stuff, like doing Christmas cards and a little decorating.

I am not a fan of CFS/FM at this time! Also my mind is preoccupied with trying to get used to my diet for recently diagnosed type2 diabetes. I hope you get some relief from your back pain. I know the feeling of the cure sometimes being worse that the thing you're treating. GB66
  7. simpsons

simpsons Member

i found that a chemical free environment from face cream to shampoo to air fresheners even loo cleaners helped my sensitive problem lots.

also i found that cutting out wheat helped lots too
    the wheat helped with noise and light problems and also helped with pain problem

it takes a while but i also cut out diary and the odd glass of wine

i did this following the prof kenny dr m urine test press release. it showed a high level of a gas that is produced by pwme that is stimulated by these foods.

it is a neurotoxin and can cause all of the symtpoms we get but can also be found in other illness types
    for eg stomach

i found hot baths better than many pain killers

pain killers can cause pain in the long term anyway