Being Sent For Mental Eval. SSD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Jul 11, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am being sent for mental eval. by SSD and just wondered if anyone had been through this kind of test. I have seen a phychologist here in my hometown and was diagnosed as being severely depressed; comes with the FM and other health issues, I suppose.

I was just wondering what to expect for this test..anyone been through anything like this?

I just wondered what to expect.

Thank you for any help you have to offer,

BlueSky555
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Bump, Please???

Thank you
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I remember mine as going over my mental health history, talking about how I felt in the present and some games to determine cognitive skills. The games included that old birthday party game where you have twenty items on a tray and are invited to look at them for a minute. Then the tray is taken away and you try to recall what the items were. Other games like that.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you very much Anne Theresa. I had no idea what sort of tests they would put me through and I'm so thankful for your response which helps me tremendously.

It's good to know kinda what to expect when experiencing something new. I'm only allowed to take one adult with me. I didn't know if I should try the depression board and decided maybe not.

Again, thank you; you're a dear,

BlueSky555
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I wanted to bump this once more; hope no one minds; my appt. is Friday and received some good information from Anne Theresa.

If anyone else has any infor at all, I would appreciate it.

Thank you so much and I promise, I won't bump this anymore,

BlueSky555
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Hi Bluesky555 -- I had to see their psychiatrist also. I too was a nervous wreck.

It was so long ago that I don't remember exactly what he asked me. He did not give me any cognitive testing or any type memory quips.

Very quick, a few questions and I was done.

I left having no idea how it went. I was approved shortly thereafter.

I made sure I didn't do my hair, wore no make-up, just went completely natural so how I was feeling could show through. Unfortunately, we're judged by our appearance so don't get all jazzed up for it -- no jewlery, etc.

Just be honest and try not to minimize your depression/pain and suffering.

Good luck.

Scapper
  7. mrsED

mrsED New Member

I think it may have been the psych eval that helped most in getting my ssi.
    I remember the Dr. asked me if I drove myself to the appt.
    The office I had to go to was in an area I was not familiar with so I had my daughtr drive me. For some reason, I think he liked that reply.

Also, when he asked me questions about how the Fm affected my life, I ended up crying, not on purpose, but I suppose just because I really am depressed and when I talk to someone who is the least bit sympathetic, I usually get emotional. I would never try to fake that, but I have to say I think it may have worked in my favor.

I agree that you shouldn't get all dressed up or wear a lot of makeup.

Just be yourself, but don't be afraid to tell the Dr. how bad it is.

I hope it goes well for you and you get your SSI.

MrsEd
  8. jaquieb

jaquieb New Member

BLUESKY,
    I WENT FOR THE EVAL. THE QUESTIONS THEY ASKED ME WERE REPEATING 3 WORDS BACK TO HIM, A COUPLE MINUTES LATER. I COULD REMEMBER 2 OF THEM. ALSO COUNTING BACKWARDS FROM 100 LESS 7 NUMBERS, LIKE 100, 93,86 AND ECT. & REMEBERING SEQUENCES OF NUMBERS. STUPID STUFF. HAVING CONGNITIVE DISORDERS AND ALL OVER PAIN AND TERRIBLE HEADACHES AND NECK & SHOULDER PAIN 24/7. AND EVERYTHING ALONG WITH FM. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR PAIN. HE DIDN'T TALK TO ME MUCH ABOUT MY FM. SOME OF WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO. SOME OF THE QUESTIONS HE ASKED WERE FOR A MENTALLY HANDICAPPED PERSON IT SEEMED. I AM STILL WAITING FOR SSD. I'VE HAD A LAWYER NOW FOR 6 MONTHS. IT WILL PROBABLY BE ANOTHER YEAR OR SO. WHEN I WAS WORKING I FELT LIKE I WAS PUNISHING MY SELF BY TOURCHER (SP). I DO BETTER SINCE I AM NOT WORKING IN THE WAY OF COPING BUT NOT MUCH. I CAN'T CONCENTRATE BECAUSE OF THIS DD MOSTLY BECAUSE OF MY PAIN IN MY HEAD,NECK AND SHOULDERS, I ASSUME ANYWAY. WELL THANKS FOR THE STEAM OFF.
    TAKE CARE, JAQUIE
  9. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I want to thank you ALL for the information. I am VERY nervous as my appt. is tomorrow. I was also been worrying, what am I going to wear; what about hair; nails, jewlery, makeup. Now, thanks to you all, that worry is over.

Also thank you for the information on some of the questions tha may be asked. I am thinking they will be mostly mental questions because they called it a mental evaluation and I was and am seeing a phychologist.

I didn't know how much of the health issues would be asked also.

Scapper and mrsed you were approved and jaquie, you are still waiting, even with attorney? Wow, something just don't seem right. I am very happy that scapper and mrsed were approved and hope you, jaquie will be approved as well.

It is so sad that we go thru all of the pain we do, but look normal to others, including drs. That we are judged by how we look; what a shame. Again, thank you all; you just don't know how you have helped me and hope I can do the same for you all and others one day soon.

BlueSky555
  10. najerry

najerry New Member

I agree with jaquieb respponse. I went last week. The exam seemed to test mental and cognitive abilities. At 61, I couln't remember half of the things they asked me to remember evev if I didn't have the DD! I asked why I was asked antthing about the effect of the disease on my mental abilities and the psych. said it was more of a screening process because they get so many ssdi applicants.
    Don't quite understand that. I don't think there were any questions referring to depression. Probably hidden ones. I was not asked if I was depressed. I applied in Oct 2005 so I have no ides when I will or will not be approved. My attorney said he thought I would get approved eventually!
  11. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

najerry, very much. So you didn't apply with FM? I just found out only a few months back that I have it but have many more health problems.

I know, I keep thanking everyone but hey, I AM very thankful for all of the information I get. Everytime I sign on here, I try to respond to as many posts as possible, that I am familiar with.

Good luck on you SSD and hang in there,

BlueSky555

Sorry, najerry, I think I read that wrong; I think you meant that you couldn't remember EVEN if you didn't have it; I apologize.

BlueSky555[This Message was Edited on 07/13/2006]
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I won't be concerned about the Mental Evaluation. This is

pretty much a standard part of the SS methodology!! Mine

was done about a year ago. I was only with the Doctor a-

bout 30 mins. Don't know how they can come up with much

useful or diagnostic info. on the limited amt. of time

they spent with the individual.

In her evluation, she considered me "quite the historian"

bec. I knew who was Pres. of U.S. during Civil War and

that I knew who painted the Sistine Chapel!! Well every-

one knows it was Andy Warhol!!

WORRY NOT!!!
    MRDAD
  13. hangten52

hangten52 New Member

I went for my psych evaluation a few months ago and I tell ya, it was not at all what I thought it would be. But first, listen to Scapper. Do not get all dressed up-jeans and sandals-good. No make-up and don't get your hair done day b4. This sounds nuts but they want to prove you can follow thru with ADA's (activities of daily living). They want to see if you can groom yourself (that's an ADA). Don't smile or laugh outloud (even if she makes a joke or laughs at herself for saying or doing something silly, like mine tried to write with her pen b4 taking the lid off.

She did talk to me about my depression, oh, about 5 min. which I was peeved about bcz that is my diagnosis and how could she know by asking a few questions.

The tests: the first one was where she had this puzzle-something like a rubic's cube thing, but it was flat. It was timed and you had to try to fit the peices together. I know I did bad on them bcz she stopped me and wrote something down b4 I was near finished.

Second test: She read part of a short story then asked me questions about that part of the story (remembering)--I live in "the fog", lol so I could only remember the last part of the story). Then she would read a little bit more about the story and ask questions. She did this 4 times. When she had finished reading the last part of the story, she told me she was going to read the whole story in it's entirety, then ask questions. It was truly hard for me and I thought I had flunked that part too.

However, 1 mth later, I was turned down for SSDI initial application. I have no idea what they were looking for but since a small part of my claim is my hands (bilateral numbness tingling pain), I think the first test was for that. Who know?

Good luck and try to stay positive.

donna
  14. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

First, thank you mrdad for your information. If they ask me anything about history, I'm doomed. I can't remember who was president 10 years ago, lol. I know not really funny is it but so true.

Also, hangten, I don't understand why you were turned down if you didn't do that good on the tests. They may have been testing your motor skills on that first test, who knows? But still, how can we work if we can't remember things? I don't think I can count backwards like jaquie was talking about. Also like najerry said as well; couildn't remember anything. My mind wonders, unless I'm telling about my situation, then usually cry; just can't stop that. suppse that's depression part. Everyone says to keep trying so don't stop here. I know if I fail this test, I will keep trying; I can't hardly walk through the grocery store without pain/fatigue.

Do you think maybe it's the kind of work we used to do? I did administrative work and know I don't have the patience/memory/physical ability, etc. to do it anymore, unfortunately. Also, accounting; they probably wouldn't want me posting their accounts payable/receivable; think?

Good luck to all of you still trying.

BlueSky555
  15. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Actually, I don't think you should be concerned about
    "failing" the Mental Evaluation. I believe that are just
    attempting to evaluate functonal level. Just be honest
    and co-operative as they are not out to "trick" you.

You will wonder after why you were even concerned.

Try to relax,

MRDAD
  16. TAM

TAM New Member

HI BLUESKY555,

IT'S been a long time ago since i went to have an ssd mental eval. But i'll tell you what i remember.

I had to count back by 7's from 100 - 01, you know 100,93,86,79 etc..etc.., they asked if i was worried about anything, money, family troubles etc..etc..

Then they gave me at least ten sayings that they wanted me to say what they meant, for ex:those who live in glass houses should'nt throw stones, then you were to tell them what that meant.

Pretty much most of the questions a new doctor would ask you, about your health all about your pain, if you think your depressed, HAS THE PAIN CHANGED YOU IN ANYWAY, you know the same ol' questions that you want to answer duh to, then smack them and say what do you think, of coarse we don't say that but we would like to.

they had me walk a striaght line, bend to touch my toes. and thats about all i can remember.

Good luck and don't be nerveous or anything
    TAKE CARE, TAMMY

[This Message was Edited on 07/13/2006]
  17. Scapper

Scapper New Member

How did your appt. go?

scapper
  18. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I just posted the outcome of my appointment but it's nice to know that there are people that think about you.

What a nice feeling to know you remembered,

Thank you so kindly,

BlueSky555
  19. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I guess it stuck in my mind because it was something that I went through myself and I remember how much of a wreck I was about the whole thing!

Also, since I can't remember names at all, you can do a search in the box with your own user name to bring up any posts you've answered. Quick way to respond back.

:)
  20. VeronicaVelvet

VeronicaVelvet New Member

I have only written once on this board before but I had to jump in and reply to this thread. I just got my phych evaluation done very recently; I'm also applying for SSDI. I really went in there with the idea of being as truthful as possible and I think that is the key. Sure I laughed and giggled a few times; she was a really nice person. And then of course I really REALLY cried a few times, but it was very real depression and very real tears. Nothing was faked, they are trained to see right through and fake persona you put forth. I aced all the test scores with most in the superior range but that didn’t seem to matter at all. The tests are pretty easy to do, and some of them are actually kind of fun, so don’t worry about that. And in the end all that honesty paid off as then she was very honest with me and told me that she was going to confirm to the judge that I am unable to work. Maybe I was just lucky and not many people would have this same experience, actually I’m pretty sure on that. However, I still think the most important thing to remember is be honest. I wish you all the best of luck and take care! Blessed Be! Danielle