being taking off all meds all at once

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NewEnglander, Sep 16, 2008.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Hi
    my doctor is home on maternity leave
    so i'm left at the hands of the other doctors

they threaten to not feel my scripts this month

I'm on Kadian 60 mi a day

percocet for break through pain, which I take maybe 3 to 4 a day

soma

clonipin

welbutrim

vistral

concerta

I think that's it

anyway, if I am taking off all these meds at once, isn't that dangerous

first they threatened to throw me out of their partice for not giving an acurate urine, sample, not answering the phone (I wasn't home) and picking up my hand scrips to early.

they just have to check with the pharmacy, my insurance would not fill those scripts early

anyway, just concerned of weather or not I will have seisures

and I fear that the pain will just take over my body and I also fear as to what I might do if that happens

I'm only human, I can take tolerable pain, even though it hurts

but intolerable pain can cause you mind to snap, I know this form experience

thanks and God Bless
  2. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I really do not think they can just stop giving them to you like that because stopping all that at once would be dangerous and if something happened to you it would be their fault

They can however wean you off of them. That is what they will do in my office if you take your meds wrong

I have a question of my own you said you had your urine tested I just had that done and I had been taking more of my muscle relaxers without asking which was soo stupid. I live in mass and in april some law was passed about drug testing people on oppoids I am on methadone

So I was wondering How long do the results take did you hear from them right away Are they just looking to see if the stuff that is supposed to be in you is and nothing else or do they check the amounts?? I am soo nervous thanx

And let me know what happens with your meds they really should not do that to you. You will end up very sick-Kim
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Not trying to scare you, but I ended up in the ER when they did this to me. I had an episode of sudden muscle weakness where I couldn't sit or stand for more than a few seconds.

If I were you, I'd call and get this straightened out. I can see how the doctors would like to see you off some of those meds, but to do it all at once is dangerous. You may want to start by asking them how to safely taper off some of these.

JMHO .. Marcia

4. Nechama39

Nechama39 New Member

About 8 years ago I was taking wellbutrin and after I lost my insurance and couldn't afford my med, I had a siezure. The er doc said "You can't just stop taking this medication, you have to gradually decrease the dosage and then go off." I just looked at him and said "Well, when you can't afford it you do."
  5. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Now I'm scared... I don;t always take my meds .. like I prob should... Is Urine test a normal thing... I have only known I have had FM for 7 months now...

seeing Doc next week....

I know my Mom See's my Doc also and they had given her Perc, she could not take it made her funy.. they made her bring in the perc and they counted them and flushed them before they would give her a new script for Vicoden

sounds like you need a new Doc ASAP , going off all your meds at once is not good ..

I pray for the best for you ,,, sorry this freaked me out
  6. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

I had a similar experience a few months ago after yrs of being on the same meds and following all the rules,etc.

You may find it helpful to educate yourself about chronic pain and the rights you have to pain control.

I am having a horrible day and am pretty foggy but if you do a search there are groups that advocate for teh proper treatment of chronic pain.

I would let these doctors that have taken over for your main doc know that you aren't a drug seeker and are educated in the treatment of chronic pain.

The only website i could find right now from my favorites is: www.cpmission.com

Hope this helps and I wouldn't hesitate going to the ER if you get too bad.

I'll add you to my prayers.

Hang in there!
    Lil
  7. DRAGONSGIRL

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

Is this a Dr. thing or insurance? I've been on pain meds and muscle relaxers since 2000 along with antideppresants. Never been ask to take one. And I too sometimes forget to take a dose every now and then. Usually because of my crazy sleep patterns.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wow, you are on a lot of medications to be taken off of them so quickly. Do you have refills? Will you run out of all of them at the same time?

I agree that if you get to feeling bad, to go to the ER.

What did you mean when you said you did not give them an accurate urine sample?

Since you said that they have threatened to not fill your script, can you go in and see a physician about what is going on?

What did your doctor say about your follow up medical care before she left on maternity leave?

If you feel like you are going to "snap", get medical care immediately.

Let us know how you are doing.

GA
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2008]
  9. mylilcherub428

I am from the same state as new englander my bf's mom is from the same state also and had her urine test the day b4 me

I looked up drug testing narcotics and my state and it looks like they passed a law in april 08 for random testing in this state for people on narcotics and other controlled meds other states are having the same law Seems they are cracking down if u are worried look into your state.

We should be taking our meds right anyhow I wish I had not taken extra muscle relaxers the day I had mine and during the days b4 I have had probs with my pain meds b4 so am leary of talking to my doc about upping stuff Now I have to hope I will not be cut off-Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2008]
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I had not heard of this. Thanks for the information.

The thing is, if your doctor is prescribing you the meds. why give you the test.

Sounds like a waste of time.

ga
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Can you give more information? Everyone is getting nervous and I think there must be more going on. I cannot imagine a Dr.'s office taking a patient off all meds at once. When you had the urine test done, what did they find?
    Is this a pain clinic you're going to where you had to sign a contract?

When they threatened to do this - was it during an appt? or was it a warning of sorts?
    I'd be livid (and scared as well). I would certainly be having a sit down with the doctor who is taking over your doctor's patients while she is out.

It sounds like you violated something - and picking up hand scripts- well that's their fault for releasing them - not yours. Even if you did violate one of their rules, I would still go in and talk to them.

I know I've been a day or two early on my meds before. Believe me I wish I had tons left over every month, but my gosh, unless you've lived with that kind of pain you have no idea what it is like.

I have had THE worst pain the last few days. I just told my husband I can't imagine living like this anymore. I cry everytime I say that outloud.

I hope everything gets worked out for you.
    Please let us know if this is your regular dr. or pain clinic though - they are much more strict.
  12. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I just re-read my post. I didn't mean for it to sound like 'there's something else going on"! I just meant please give as many details as you can.
    Just wanted to make sure I didn't hurt your feelings because that wasn't my intention. =)
    Janalynn
  13. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Hi
    as far as I know this law is in only massachusetts for drug testing, but not to worry, it has nothing to do with the meds that we are prescriped. it would have to be cocaine, pot, street drugs I guess.

this law started in April of this year, no one told me of this, I was just going in for a regular appointment and they sprang that on me. no warning.

I was able to take another drug test, this time I filled the sample right to the top so I dont get anyone upset.

anyway, they did finally tell me that they would wean me off if the drug test doe's come back positive.

or, get this, if my drug test doen't come back in time.

if the lab does not have the test done in time they will just treat me like I am on drugs. and we'l wean me off. I really feel like I'm being punished. this has been going on since last thursday, my life has been on hold. I guess I have developed a fear of pain, I'm not talking just pain, but the kind that makes it hard to go on. I don't want to be sick and I think I might have to be.

anyway I have been so sick from all the stress that I have been put through already, can't eat or sleep. in more pain then ever but I'm desperately trying to ration my meds

my pills are due to be picked up today, they said they would get back to me later on today. I'm really tired of all of this now.

I wish my doctor was back

her replacement told me that I shouldn't even be driving on my medication even though i'm so used to them. she told me that I could be sued if I got into an accident because of the med's.

my niece is deaf and she can drive, and what about these people smoking and talking on their cell phones at the same time. so how am I different. and I was also told that I have to be seen every month for a urine sample and that they can call me at anytime and that also would mean bringing in my medication bottles so they can count meds. so much for going away, I'm oncall now.

to me this is just cruel and abusive treatment, I don't know these doctors just my own doctor.

I feel like I'm on probation, and guilty until proven innocent.

I have been doctor shopping but no one will take me on as a patient, I'm not a desired patient i guess.

take care everyone
    and thanks so much for your replys
    ps i will check out the website, thanks again
  14. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Hello and good morning :)

Pleae let us know how it goes when you contact your doctors office ,

Stay Strong

You are in my prayers

Huggles
  15. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

Just checking in on you today. Man, I think I have read and know what your talking about and I had to sign a contract years ago when all of this started but they never tried to inforce it with me. Is this a rhuemy's office or a pain clinic or what?

It just infuriates me to hear this! When I had problems with my PCP taking over my pain meds and the uneducated people in his office staff, I had to threaten to file a complaint, look into my rights as a pain patient etc. and when I went in for my appt. to discuss all of this and on the verge of going to the ER, my aunt had to take me and once they saw me and what shape I was in after "rationing" all weekend the Doctor appologized in front of all of the office personell.

It is so degrading to be treated this way (like a drug addict or drug seeker).

Please if you have a chance and feel up to it, do a search on chronic pain patient rights. I would not even hesitate to contact an elected official about this new "law" and explain my situation. Just not ok to leave you hanging like this and to treat you like that.

Also, try to document any correspondence you have with that office and get names, etc. of who you spoke with.

I was so adament because I knew I had done nothing wrong and I went thru hell for a few days unnessaceraly.

Education and documenting is key when we are treated injustly.

I wish I could help you more but I will pray for you and have faith this will be resolved for you.

Hang in there,
    lil
  16. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Hi
    letting you know what happened
    my doctor is still on maternity leave.

I'll call her replacement dr.X

anway due the stress of being kicked out I took this body cleanse drink, it was called rescue detox.

I drank that last tuesday, an hour later the doctors dr x calls and tells me she wants me to come to take a antothe urine test since there wasn't enough in the first sample

I was pretty happy about this because I figured, great, their not going to kick me out of their practice.

I cant begin to tell you the sense of relief I felt,

so I take the test.

thursday I get a call from drX

their trowing me out of the practice again, no second chances.

I'm totally shocked

drx tells me that my urine sample had no signs of any of the medications that I have been on over the years.

so I call the company of that drink, rescue detox

I ask them if by taking this drink would it affect a urine test.
    he told me that it would mask all meds in your system, that or it would temporily cleanse I cant remember.

I ask him if he would tell my doctor that and he said he would.

I called drx back and explained to her what had happened and if she would talk with the man from this company.

I also told her I wouldnt lie about something like this ever. (taking my medication) she then said urine samples don't lie and told me she had othe patients to see, and then hung up

she also told me that they would not feel anymore of my medications

this is what I am on

concerta/ that was never my idea
    thyroid meds

Kadian which I'm pretty sure is morphine

soma

welbutrim

clonipin and vistral

I told her I was afraid to go off these meds cold turkey

and drx just said it wouldn't kill me
  17. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I cannot even believe what they have done to you and how they have treated you. I don't even know what to tell you except that I would not just accept this.

Do you have someone who can help you with this? Someone who can speak on your behalf?

Let me get this straight - they don't think you're abusing, they think you're selling them or something? That's why they are not in your system? That's probably why they are not worried about you not having any.

Get something faxed to you ASAP from that company and walk it into the office. ASK them to fill your meds for one month until you can make other arrangements. Take in another article on chronic pain if need be.

What was your relationship like with the doc who is on maternity leave? Would she stand up for you? I'd be calling her - I know not right, but better to me, then going off everything cold turkey.

Plan B. Make appts with other docs today - what do you mean no one will take you? No where? anywhere? I don't know where you live..but are there other cities nearby? You're going to need to find someone new soon anyway.

Will the pharmacy help you? Do you have a relationship with them? I would think they'd know how bad it is to go off all meds at once.

With your first urine test - what did it show? illegal drugs - too many drugs, what? What was the cause of their first warning? Important question there.

I'd be scared as well. I am scared to death of my pain.
  18. mylilcherub428

I am so sorry this has happened to you.If they are not going to refill them I would start weaning myself. And I would call another doc asap

For what you failed for the first time(is against rules to mention that) you may find a doc that is understanding tell them you used it when pain was real bad my doc knows about that and can not cut me off if my test shows it cuz I was not warned I will stop if he wants me to

my docs know I do that and agree it helps pain I even told the psyc doc about it for social security disability I figured it would be better to be honest He said it is a proven fact it helps pain

Honesty is the best policy when iut comes to this or you just look like you wanna be messed up I would find a new doc and explain that you did that to help pain got tested did not pass got scared and drank alot of water to pass that drink is basically lots of water and vitamins to keep pee yellow uaually So say you drank alot of water to get that stuff out of youand took your regualar vitamins tell them if you can get better pain releif you will not use the other stuff

Be honest docs know that helps pain if it was something worse it would be different

The thing is they were not just testing for illegal drugs they are testing to make sure you are taking what they gave you. they told my boyfriends mom it was also for her ativan

I did alot of reading online they are looking for diversion people not taking meds and selling them on the street.

Could you tell me how long it was b4 you heard back from themI got mine on the 12th and heard nothing so dunno if I should still be worried

Also I read urine tests are very inacurate and they should retest if things are off now you have had 2 tests that show different things the 1st you had something that should not have been in there and the 2nd had nothing cuz you cleared it out obviously you are taking them they were in u the first time

they must know you took something to clear it outand they are worried it is their butt on the line if you take meds wrong

I really wonder if you should just tell them honestly I would be looking up my docs home number and tell her how scared you were that you did stuff for pain and then was scared to fail drank water and vitamins only to make things worse

and not to scare you but would call the stupid doc and say ya it can kill ya or at least give you seizures mostly the anti deppressnt it says never stop it cold turkey those withdrawls with the pain meds withdrawls sounds like a bad mix do you have refills on the antideppressnt if you do start weaning yourself

I can't beleive this has happened to you I'm sorry hang in there

your fibro friend-Kim
  19. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

I just wanted to let you know the reason I failed my first urine test was (so they say) that there was not enough urine in the cup.

I tried to go off the meds today and last night.

this morning I couldn't stop crying and the back of my head felt like it was on fire.

I had diarear and would have vomit but for whatever reason I never do no matter how sick my stomach is.

I did alot of praying again and kept asking what I did to deserve this.

well my doctor must have known I was on medication because she is putting me in a hosptial. lock down. can you believe that.

that's what my insurance will cover, the stupid lock down ones. like I'm gonna go running off into the night.

I think I better get street smart pretty fast. joke, I hope.

anyway, I will probably be going into the hospital on monday, thats when all my meds are gone. I think I should be there anyway since I'm afraid to be alone.

my husband was suppose to stay home with me today but decided not too. not lovin that

and he works sat, and sunday as well till like nine at night.

I'm going to see if he will stay home with me on sunday, at least maybe we can go out to eat, if I can. and I would like to pick up food for my son, easy stuff for cooking i guess.

now I'm worried about leaving my parents alone, their in a nursing home but need to be looked after, big time.

I don't even feel comfortable leaving my home.

so what happens after they get the meds out of my system, am I back to day one, total pain.

I guess I have to leave it in GOds hands.

anyway this is who I called in the last couple of days

the CEO of the affliated hosptial.

massachusetts medical society

north central emergency service's

even the suicide hotline (my sister told me that they could help direct me) no help there.

and I called a malpractice lawyer for my husband incase anything should happen to me.

I even called senator kenedey's office, they helped me before years ago.

it was for something completely different.

the only thing is it takes awhile before he can help.

well, I did give a good fight. just so afraid of pain. I guess people really can't comprehand this kind of pain unless they have it.

its like your willing to do anything to be free of it no matter what.

who know's, maybe this will be a good thing or not.

one pet peeve I thought I would share.

I hate it when people say to me when I take less meds
    "oh, good for you" what am I bad when I'm in pain.

I hate pills, I hate everything about them, all of it. but fear of pain and pain just wins over it I guess.

God Bless
  20. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

I forget to say that I was never able to reach my doctor but was told that she was in complete agreement with the other doctors decision.

this same thing happened to my cousin when her doctor went on vacation.

the covering doc would not prescribe he meds and she ended up in the hospital and then a nursing home.

she passed away three years ago, she was sixty, I just wish that she didn't have to suffer the way she did.

please don't let my post scare you guys. I think what happened to me was a rare case.

and of course I'm very upset so, that doesn't help

be well