Bek - dyslexia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elaine_p, Jul 29, 2003.

1. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Just wanted to let you know that I have dyslexia from this DD too. I swap letters/numbers and words all the time. Kinda depressing since when I used to write notes, I'd only have to scrap the post-it and start over only 1% (okay, maybe 2%) of the time and have it be perfect. Now, I'm amazed if I can write something without an error....

I do better when I'm merely copying something and concentrating on what I'm doing, but I think it's the nature of humans to be doing one thing and thinking about something else....
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I'd never heard that you could get dyslexia from FM. Where did you hear this? I've had it all my life, so can't blame it on the disorder. I've gotten used to it, so it's no big deal anymore, and I know how and when to compensate.

Marilyn :)
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I would say that FM affects our cognitive abilities, but oh boy, dyslexia is a whole 'nother ballgame and you don't want it! I've had it forever, so am used to it, but from about 5th grade on up through college, it was pure hell. I had to fight and scrape my way through every subject and grade while most everybody else was sailing along, partying, having a good old time. But I digress....yes, this syndrome does do a number on us in many ways.

Marilyn :)
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have not hear or read this either. Are you by any chance lefthanded? Lefty's have a tendency to transpose letters and numbers, but do not have dyslexia.

I am a Lefty, and have problems with left and right, also would need a compass if I traveled!

When I was a child, I could print/write an entire page backwards, you had to put it in a mirror to read it. I remember doing this just for the fun of it. Drive my parents crazy...

I used to also get the lower case b and d confused. But I simply grew out of it.

I can read aloud with no problems, but I do read very fast and thats a problem for whoever I am reading too.

I can also write with the righthand, but not confortable doing so, I also use the 'mouse' with either hand.

I do think when we are tired or flaring, we may mix up letters and words, but this is not like Marilyn described as dyslexia.

Yes, I surely believe our brains misfire with these illnesses :)

I know mine races like crazy sometimes............

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]
  5. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

There was a boy of 12 on TV the other day given a special pair of rose (I think) tinted glasses which helped enormously, he said the letters didn`t jumble around, and was able to read properly...

Might not suit everyone but could be worth looking into?

Pat.
  6. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

It's not actual dyslexia. If they call it that, they call it paradyslexia because it's not caused by brain damage, or whatever. But lots of people with CFS apparently do swap letters and words. And drop words. And of course the word-finding problem.

Not everyone with CFS has it. When I first got sick I chatted with someone who'd had CFS for 10 years. When I asked her about it, she said they weren't part of CFS. Since then, I've seen several lists the include it as a symptom.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]