belly fat

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dverre, Aug 21, 2005.

1. dverre

dverre New Member

Does anyone have any advice on how to control belly fat and maybe get rid of it.

I watch what i eat and exercise as much as my body lets me and it is getting very depressing. All I see and a fat belly when I look down.

Any advice would be appreciated
  2. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

I have the same problem, no matter how careful I am regarding my diet, I just can't seem to get rid of it, and continue to put on weight.

Like you I would love some advice on how to get rid of it, and what causes it. As my weight increase is depressing me also

Hugs
    brit
  3. ltarmand

ltarmand New Member

I know that we all don't like to talk about it but if you are not having a regular BM your stomach could be bloated. My doctor told me to try Benefiber. I did and it works like a charm.
  4. dverre

dverre New Member

that isnt the problem here I have IBS and go sometimes more than twice a day but thank you for the advice
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Oh yes!! Some of us are genetically programed to carry fat around the middle.

Apple shape as opposed to pear shaped bodies.

So we have a harder job dealing with belly fat.

I have been that way since I was a child.

Yet, I try to keep it under control with exercise, good diet, etc.

Except last evening went out and bought a box of ruffle cookies and ate the whole thing before the evening was over.

Today, there are no sweets in the house.

If I can just keep it that way!! Denamay
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2005]
  6. nanswajo

nanswajo New Member

Hi, for me it seems that my belly is bloated all the time. I will try the Benefiber suggestion. It seems this has happened to me since FMS. It is very depressing for me too. I find myself felling "less than" and wearing clothes to try and hide it. I'm almost obsessed with it.

Last week a friend's 3 yr old grand nephew told me I had a baby in my tummy. I could have gone and hidden under a rock!

My sisters are both very heavy, but I have never been. Since FMS, I have gained 35 pounds and am still much snaller than my sister's. Still, they do not have swollen tummys like I do.

So, I'm with you there. Also, I keep gaining weight little by little no matter what I do.

Boo hoo.

Nancy
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

usually equals estrogen dominance, and has the associate "woman's problems" to go w/ it. Western docs act as if this is yet another normal things we have to learn to live w/.

It can be treated. Keep an eye out for new post w/ ESTROGEN DOMINANCE somewhere in the title.

Jeanne
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Have you discussed this with your doctor? You sound like you are saying that your belly is large, but not necessarily fat. Is this correct?

If your stomach is unusually bloated or swollen, you definitely need to see your doctor. He can run some tests to find out what your problem is.

However, in my case, if I gain a pound -- it's right in my belly!! And .... it's not bloated or swollen!!

I didn't have much of a problem when I was younger; however, after having three babies with 2 of them weighing in at over 10-1/2 lbs., 24" long; and the other one being 3 weeks EARLY and weighing more than 11-1/2 lbs., 24" long, my stomach has been stretched to the MAX!!!! Also, I am a short person - around 5'4".

After each pregnancy, I never did lose all of the weight that I gained. What was left was in my belly. This happened after each pregnancy. Now, any weight that I gain has always been in my belly. I think that it has just been stretched out sooooooooooo much that the fat just normally goes there!! At least, that's my theory!!

I can't get rid of it either. I can't exercise because of my bad back and heart problems. I can't stand up long or walk very far. I do like to do some mild exercises in a pool; however, it is just so far to get to one, etc.

Anyway ... I think your problems are differnt than mine. Please talk with your doc about them!

Take care,
    Janet
  9. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

Hypothyroid and estrogen dominance is causing my belly fat. I don't have either one under control. I'm seeing a new doctor that doesn't believe lab work showes everthing about hypothyroid.
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

Not to be an alarmist or scare you, but sudden onset of a swollen belly can be a symptom of cervical or uterine cancer. I agree with others that a check up with your doctor would be a good idea.

You might need to be insistent that it might not be just a weight problem.

Keep us posted, ok?

Peace,
    Beth.
  11. dverre

dverre New Member

thank you everyone for your opinions I will check each and every one of them out.

I am seeing doctor next week will bring this up with him.

dverre

thank you for your concern this board is a wonderful place
  12. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I have it too, I have read that stress can cause it because of too much cortisol in your system, anyone know about this?
    Sue
  13. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I know that there are some people who do not agree but I have been watching my carb intake and I have lost more than 6 in off my waist & 6 inches off my belly in just a few months. I eat my veggies, protein, fruit, etc I just choose to eat low carb options when available and stay away from the pastas and breads (unless the net carb is lower). I have read that it effects the belly region.

Kelly