Beloved pet Tabby is home

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjr2003, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. cjr2003

    cjr2003 New Member

    I just wanted to let everyone know how Tabby is doing. We

    went in to the vet's office at 8am this morning and

    finished up for the day around 2:30pm. We go back on

    Friday for the same routine. She had 1/2 bag IV fluids put

    into her today and the other 1/2 goes in tomorrow. It was

    a stressful morning getting it all going, but the afternoon

    was much smoother. They had to give her a sedative in

    order to administer the IV into her. I did not know that

    the sedative would "knock her out" totally, I just thought

    that it would relax her, and make her "groggy". So, when

    she konked out after 5 seconds of the shot going into her,

    I honestly thought my poor baby had passed away! I am not

    kidding! For about 5-10 seconds I truly believed that she

    had had a reaction/heart attack from the shot and died. I

    immedietly called for Dr. Smith to come in the room please,

    and when he did, he laughed a silly laugh and told me she

    was just "out cold", but very much alive, and breathing.

    Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cried for the first 2 hours of her

    laying there "looking very dead", but simply being "out to

    lunch". Even though she was knocked out, I know that she

    knew I was there with her, I do. She slept with her eyes

    open as cats can do, which I did not know either, hence

    another reason why I thought she had died. Her eyes went so

    blank, so quickly. I have seen an animal put to sleep

    before, and it was so very much like when they died, so I

    guess you can understand the confusion. They took a break

    from the IV fluids from 11am-1pm, and I left and went and

    got some lunch and tried to clear my head some. By the

    time I came back around 1pm I was so desperate to see my

    little one, and she wasn't where I had left her, so then, I

    almost panicked again! They had to move her to one of the

    back examining rooms while I was gone. When I had left,

    she was just starting to wake up some and move her little

    paws a little and lift her head a little. When I got back

    from lunch, she was able to move more, but was still

    extremely groggy, so she didn't move much til around 2pm,

    and then she seemed a bit ancy and hurting. She moaned

    alot when we had to move her around like she was hurting

    badly, and was cranky. All very normal symptoms, along

    with the throwing up from the sedative and the loss of

    bowel control during while the sedative was in her system.

    It was so hard to see her so helpless while the sedative

    was in her, and it was so hard to leave for 2 hours and not

    be right there with her, but these things had to be done.

    They said it was best to have her in a dark room for a few

    hours to rest in between the IV fluids. When I came back,

    time really flew, and before I knew it, it was 2:30 pm and

    the vet said, she's all done for today! Since coming home,

    I have followed her around quite a bit. She still has the

    confusion left over from the sedative, and getting in the

    cat box was not possible for her without help. I have 3

    boxes of little set out for convenience for her, 2 of them

    are Avon box lids filled with kitty litter - low to the

    ground, one in her room, and one in the living room where

    she is used to the kitty box being, and then I have her

    regular one still in her room. The vet said she probably

    won't eat until 2-morrow a.m. - and so far, she has sniffed

    her food and water but not eaten or drank any. She has

    thrown up once since getting home, and I tried to rinse out

    her mouth with some water a little bit, wish I'd picked up

    a dropper to put droplets in her mouth. Tabby is restly

    fairly comfortably right now in her hut. I have to watch

    her, because she decided to get up and go somewhere pretty

    hastily and is still walking like she's drunk and has the

    IV deal still attatched to her right paw so she can't

    balance very well due to that as well. She has fallen to

    one side many times already. I try not to pick her up,

    this seems to hurt badly right now - I am not for sure why

    other than she has that fluid in her body, or maybe from

    the sedative shot the dr. put in her hip is hurting where

    her arthritis is. I am concerned about her injuring

    herself after I go to bed, this sedative has done a number

    on her! I was thinking of sleeping in her with her and

    closing the door, so she cannot exit. I would have to

    sleep in the recliner, I think that will work o.k. The

    sinuses will be bad in the a.m. though due to cat fur/

    litter box sensitivity. I am hoping we don't have to do the

    sedative 2-morrow, that it will go smoother since the IV is

    already in, just have to attatch the other part to it. Not

    sure I want to see her go through this again. Well, this

    is turning into a book! I do apologize! Just wanted to

    update everyone. . . I am seriously pooped out! Am going to

    wait for husband to bring pizza in from town, eat some, and

    go to bed early. Didn't really sleep too good last night.

    Anxiety, I suppose. Anyhow, thankyou to everyone for your

    thoughts,prayers, suggestions, and insight on your

    experiences with CRF. I am hoping and praying that these

    treatments help Tabby to stay with us a while longer! Love

    to all, Carla
  2. claudiaw

    claudiaw New Member

    is home! I hope these treatments are helpful.
    I have gone through all kinds of treatments and surguries over the years with my pets!
    People I know think I am nuts to spend all that money on "just" a dog or cat. But they are part of my family. Sometimes I think if it weren't for their companionship and comfort, I would not be here. I figure I owe them!:)
    Take Care ( and your kitty too:)
    P.S. I don't remember if I posted to you before, but their is a good site on pet health at shirley's
  3. MamaR

    MamaR New Member

    So good to hear that you made it through it all o.k.

    Try to rest!!

  4. I am so happy for the two of you. Why is the vet doing this treatment? and if the sedative gave her such a bad reaction, is it not too soon to have it again tomorrow?Wish you both the best.
  5. daylilyfan

    daylilyfan New Member

    So they really put the IV into a vein and gave her fluid that way??? Geez, I never heard of that for renal failure. Every one I have talked to the fluids were given under the skin.

    A whole bag of fluids in the vein seems like it would thin out her blood.

    Guess different vets have different ideas. I know someone mentioned the Ace inhibitors on your other thread, and my vet won't do that... so they all have their ideas on what works. Mine doesn't like to do the fluids under the skin either, although he will teach people if they really want to.

    Glad she is home and that you made it through ok!!

    Hugs to you both!
  6. ilovecats94

    ilovecats94 New Member

    Hi Carla,
    Thanks for letting us know about your day. I know what you mean about Tabby being groggy. We had to put Smokey on anesthesia to get his teeth cleaned and he would come home at 5 PM and be like that.

    He would try to get up the stairs, so someone had to watch him all the time.

    So you have to go back tomorrow to have it done all over again. Then when will you be going back next, do you know? I hope you'll get some relief from this and Tabby too. Must be really hard to go through this.

    I admire you for staying with Tabby and bringing her home. I think it is for the best, although I know it is hard on you.

    About the Ace Inhibitors... My endo wanted to give me, Vasotec, and I tried it, but it gave me chest pains, stomach upset, blurred vision and water retention. So, think hard about putting her on that. My endo wanted me on it to protect my kidney's from further damage. If she had any side effects from it she wouldn't be able to tell you. (I have diabetes.)

    Okay, thanks for the post. I was looking to hear from you, but I never got to spend much time looking at the second page of the board. lol

    Good luck tomorrow.

  7. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    Re all the questions I asked my vet for you. Please look on board, page 1 or 2 I think

    Love and purrs Anne C
  8. crumpton

    crumpton New Member

    Our pets are like our children. SOmetimes they are better but we love them both very much.

    How stressful for you to go thru again tomorrow.

    Glad today is almost over for Tabby and then tomorrow will be over soon and then Tabby will feel better and so will you!
  9. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    Is a little tiny dose, so I have not seen any side effects. DH takes them in low dose too and is OK. I will watch for any distress. Main thing is I cannot get my kitty to eat the KD Science Diet. Love Anne SEE MY OTHER POST TO YOU.
  10. cjr2003

    cjr2003 New Member

    Hi all :>) I just posted to Anne Cromwell re: Tabby and how the weekend has gone/treatments etc. Please feel free to go to that post to catch up on how she is. Please forgive me for not getting back w/ ya'll sooner. Have had a longggggggggg weekend. LOL Thankyou for all the kindness/info/support - Carla
  11. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    Take good care of her, I'm sure you will!!!

    I just found out my sweet cat (who was losing weight) has FIV. I'm still in shock, this is a cat who's never gone outside (except in a carrier to the vet) her entire 9 years.

    Don't want to waste space here talking about my cat; I'm glad your Tabby is home where you can care for her. I hope she does well. They are certainly precious pets, aren't they? Glad she's back home.

  12. cjr2003

    cjr2003 New Member

    Dear Pam,

    I just read your post about your cat's diagnosis.:>( I am so sorry to hear this news as I know you are too. What can they do for her/him? I read a little about the illness on the web; is it possible that your cat's momma passed this on to your kitty? What does the vet say? I know what kind of "shock" you are referring to. It has been an emotional rollercoaster over here. It is amazing how much love we have for our furry little pets - they give love so unconditionally and freely - they are so beloved. :>) I am saying prayers for your kitty and you. LOL Carla
  13. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    I did not want to get into my cat's illness here, I kn ow you are understandably very worried about your Tabby...I am going to talk to my vet a lot more about this tomorrow...I'm puzzled as to where she picked this up, she's never gone outside, or even "gotten" outside for an hour or two (where she hypothetically could've encountered an infected cat) at all. She tested negative for this at age one; you'd have thought she'd test positive for this then if she got it from her mother...very strange. All we can do is treat it at this point...

    You are right, these pets of ours love us so unconditionally...they are the best!!! Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers, and I'll say a prayer for your kitty, too...


[ advertisement ]