1. lesli0404

lesli0404 New Member

I have fibromyalgia- supposedly narcolepsy- idiopathic hypersomnia- alpha intrusion...anyway..

the other night I took 2 benadryl.. slept like a ROCK and woke up and for the first time in ohhh forever..I woke up and felt good- refreshed.. it was amazing!

just wanted to share - try if you haven't!

2. TKM

TKM New Member

I also have been taking Benadryl about an hour before bed. It really helps me sleep and also helps dry up my constantly runny nose!

Terri
  3. Noahsmom

Noahsmom New Member

I was using Benadryl almost every night. Then I found it didn't work as well for me so I would take it every third night. I slept great. My Allergist doesn't want me to take it anymore because I developed angio edema and Benadryl is a trigger for it. I miss the good night sleeps, but I now am taking Hydroxyzine. That helps me sleep too. ZZZZZZZ Not as good as that Benadryl.
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

Has Benadryl as its second ingredient, along with the tylenol. that's why it works so well.

I agree, it does a good job. My doctor had me on Flexeril but that started to make me really spacey so now I just use tylenol pm or if i'm out of that i have some generic brand Benadryl (for the dog believe it or not she has allergies and the vet told me to use it!) so I just pop two of those.

((((hugs))))
    Michelle
  5. newbattleaxe

newbattleaxe New Member

FYI, Benadryl is also Dramamine - same drug - diphenhydramine.
    Rebecca
  6. fairqueen

fairqueen New Member

BEWARE! Benadryl is one of the drugs you are NOT supposed to take. It exacerbates RLS, and I have personal experience regarding this! Actually, RLS'rs should not take any anti-histamines or OTC/RX comgination cold/sinus/cough medications, including Tylenol PM and Excedrin PM, Theraflu, Vicks cough syrup, Actifed, Comtrex, Sudfed, Contact, Dimetapp and Triaminic. All ANTI-DEPRESSANTS can cause RLS worsening; however Remeron, Serzone and Wellbutrin seem to be okay in most RLS'rs. AND, anti-nauseates that should be avoided are: Benadryl, Antivert, Atarax, Bonine, COMPAZINE, Phenergan, Thorazine, Tigan, Trilaton, Vistaril and Reglan. I have taken Zofran, which is very expensive, with success.

I'm mentioning this becasue many of you also have RLS and I know that you don't want your legs going crazy AND hurting at the same time!

Just thought you all would like to know.

Jan
  7. kwsmom

kwsmom New Member

HI, I just wanted to ask you about Narcolepsy. I had a sleep study a couple of weeks ago for sleep apnea. The results came back that I only had mild apnea but they wanted me to be tested for Narcolepsy. I don't think I need to have that test. I feel like I would know if I had it. Some of the questions of the sleep survey I answered yes to were like do you fall asleep quickly and when you sit still do you fall asleep. Well, I answered yes to these questions but it is after I have worked a full day and I am exhausted. I was just curious about your diagnosis.

As far as the Benadryl goes I took two nightly for several years. It helped me for a long time but then I think my body built an immunity to it and I had to change to Elavil.
  8. ertekate

ertekate New Member

Well, at least I now know that I'm not the only person on earth that is "allergic" to benadryl. With me, the doctor has called it dyskinesia, but the reality is that benadryl, phenergan, - anything with diphenhydramine (sp?) - makes my arms and legs jump, flap and flop uncontrollably. It's alwful! KatieB
  9. lesli0404

lesli0404 New Member

Well..I suggest that you do have the narcolepsy test- even though you feel you may not have it... I dont hardly ever just fall asleep- it happened in class some when i was in high school and also once while i was driving and i had a horrible wreck- but as far as now, (which i'm married and not in school anymore) i never just conk out. And it was minimal before- that's why a lot of my doctors didnt think i had narcolepsy even after i was diagnosed with it, because i didnt have the normal symptoms (like i dont have cataplexy, and i rarely just pass out asleep). BUT I am very very tired, All the time.. I look forward to bedtime right after i wake up in the morning- i Dread going to work somedays because i'm so tired.. i can sleep 13+ hours a night ... ect. AND i do "daze" all the time. My eyes will just stare off and I can hear people talking to me, but it's like i just cant come back to and respond or whatever- this is supposedly microsleeps.

So anyway, I do suggest you have the study- it cant hurt..although i was diagnosed, i'm not on any medicine for it because all the medicines to treat Narcolepsy I had a Bad reaction too (panic/anxiety attack). But maybe the meds would work for you and make you feel better.
    Good luck! Hope that helps..
    Lesli
  10. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Wow! I forgot who posted that these medicines can make RLS worse, but that is VERY good information to know. I am having a sleep study done in May, because my doctor suspects I may have RLS because one of my complaint symptoms is having limbs jerk as I'm falling asleep, and my husband couldn't sleep one night and said that I was twitching a lot.

Anyway, last week or the week before I bought some Tylenol PM because I hadn't been sleeping well because of my pain. I took some that night and I did NOT sleep well. It felt like I hardly slept at all, and I just couldn't figure it out--it was one of the longest nights I've had. Maybe I do have RLS. Anyway, I was going to take some tonight because my pain is pretty bad again . . . I really need some good quality sleep tonight though.

So, thank you for the head's up!
    Nicole
  11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I had to go to the ER one time, due to taking Benadryl, and the ER Doc. gave me a shot of Vistril, that still works for me today.

Because a lot of people wth FMS have a Histamine problem, (I do) and the Vistril helps with keeping it undercontrol.

It is not the same Family of Benadryl, maybe that is why some can take the Vistril (Aratax) and not the Benadryl.
    Altho, when I first was starting to show a lot of FMS Symptom's, I was taking the Tylenol PM, I found just one tablet worked for me. Didn't know at the time it had the Benadryl either, or I might not have tried it.

As for sleeping I have yet to find anyting to help me with that.
    Good luck hope you can find something that will help you to sleep, it sure Sucks when you can't.
    Sharonk
  12. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I posted a response earlier in this thread about the RLS and Tylenol PM problems--well, last night I did have quite a bit of pain when I went to bed, so I did take two Tylenol PMs. I had a terrible night. At first, I felt it kick in and my muscles all got very heavy feeling; unfortunately after about ten minutes that passed and I had the most awful sensation in my legs--kind of like my bones were itching or like something was crawling around inside my muscles. I couldn't lay still--I was rolling around, tossing and turning, moving my legs, trying to make it go away. I have not had my sleep study yet and have not been diagnosed with RLS, but perhaps this is an indication that I do have it. I did eventually fall asleep, but it was not good sleep. And, I had the most horrible night sweats. Ugh. Sometimes I wish my bed would just swollow me up.

Nicole
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have posted Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin here so many times, y'all are probably sick of it, but we get new members all the time.

Klonopin stops the racing brain and seizure activity so many of us have and allows good quality sleep without the grogginess in the morning. It also helps with RLS, sensory overload, anxiety, tinnitus, and pain.

Like all meds, the potential benefits should be weighed against the potential risks.

Love, Mikie