Benadryl??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by anne354, Nov 20, 2002.

1. anne354

anne354 New Member

Over the weekend, I had some severe allergy problems due to high winds in our area. In desparation, I took some generic Benadryl to relieve the symptoms. Much to my surprise, this also helped with the breathing, swallowing, and sleep problems that have plagued me most of my life. I was diagnosed with FM about 10 yrs. ago, and have had little or no relief...until now. Has anyone else had this experience, or is it just the Guai treatment that works for people? I'm willing to try that, too. Anything for relief!! I'd appreciate hearing from anyone...
  2. anne354

anne354 New Member

Over the weekend, I had some severe allergy problems due to high winds in our area. In desparation, I took some generic Benadryl to relieve the symptoms. Much to my surprise, this also helped with the breathing, swallowing, and sleep problems that have plagued me most of my life. I was diagnosed with FM about 10 yrs. ago, and have had little or no relief...until now. Has anyone else had this experience, or is it just the Guai treatment that works for people? I'm willing to try that, too. Anything for relief!! I'd appreciate hearing from anyone...
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lisa told us about how great Benadryl is for our illnesses. She suggested Children's benadryl as you can take it during the day and it doesn't make you sleepy. At night, you can take more to help with sleep.

Benadryl really helps the creepy/crawly and itchy sensations we get on our skin. Most of us have allergies, and the Benadryl helps with that too. I found some for $1 at the Dollar store. The active ingredient is the exact same thing as in the brand name stuff which is about $7 at Wal Mart.

Love, Mikie
  4. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

but I've been able to replace it with Quercitin. Unlike the chemicals in Benadryl, Quercitin doesn't have any harmful side-effects, plus its a powerful antioxidant (bioflavanoid) that provides healing to our bodies.

When my dr. first recommended this, the dose wasn't strong enough, so I still had to take Benadryl. Now that I take 500 mgs 2xday I no longer need Benadryl. I can stop taking quercitin and for awhile not have any symptoms. I guess it builds up in your system and/or strengthens the body, whereas with benadryl as soon as I stopped taking it I had the old symptoms return immediately; in other words benadryl provided only a temporary fix.

Annette
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

To the board Anne, so glad that Benadryl works for you, it has the opposite effect on me. It keeps me awake and I feel like I am on 'speed'! I am flying around.

I am one of the ten percent of people who have this problem with it.

I give it to my dogs (advice of the Vet) if they are restless, have an alligies, etc. Works like a charm.

Again, welcome to the group.

Shalom, Shirl

6. beans

beans New Member

I had an old lady tell me to take Benadryl to help me sleep years ago .
    I also read that it was Ok to use for sleep in a book about Fibro.

I also found out that nursing homes often used it.

I had to take it twice a week in the morning for several years before receiving allergy shots and it would make me so sleepy that it was difficult getting to the doctors office for the shots.

I then used it at night and I had to take more and more of it to help me sleep until a doctor decided I needed a stronger drug.

But some nights once in a blue moon I still take one.

It is so cheap and can be bought in many USA states at the pharmacy for much less than the boxed ones over the counter.

I would get 100- 24 milligrams for $3.00 or $4.00.

They were capsules so I could open them up and pour some out if I wanted less.

Hope this helps.
    Beans
  7. seaview

seaview New Member

I can't sleep without it. I buy the generic brand...100 25mg for 3.99.....I take 75 or 100 (thats 3 or 4) about an hour or so before bedtime. After not sleeping for 4 years it has been great. I still not sure if I am getting into the stage 4(since I have 5 kids and it seems someone is alwasys waking me up) but it has helped me get to sleep. It is the active ingrediant in most of the name brand sleep aids. I am glad you also found something to help..and hey, you did not have to beg a doctor for it! :) Blessings Kathleen
  8. rubyred

rubyred New Member

I get IV Benadryl at dialysis three times a week and I take it for allergies quite a bit as well. It also definitely helps with sleep. I have just recently started realizing that I have this dd so I'm not real sure if it helps me or not. I'm still trying to put together all the pieces as far as this goes.
  9. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Iv'e never tried itmyself.But I was a supervisor of a nursing home and we had a woman patiet the was in late stage of alheimers and she was like an animal.Her daughter is a nurse and she had us give her a large dose of childrens benerdryl(had to be childrens)I could not belive the person who came out and sat down to luch with her daughter and friends and carried on a normal coversation and was so proper.Made me wonder if allergies was part of alheimers.God Bless. LindaGa
  10. crickett

crickett New Member

Is it okay to take Benadryl with other drugs? Before bedtime I take Serzone 200mg, and Flexeril. My sleep has been pretty good until recently. I can't fall asleep or stay asleep. The littlest noise will wake me, espceially the furnace coming on. And why do I dream, dream dream, even up until the time that I give up and get out of bed?
    I can't be getting any quality sleep.
    Thanks,
    crickett
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2002]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I took Flexeril, I used to dream like crazy all night long. I do not believe the Flexeril allows the stage IV sleep necessary to body repair. It also caused rapid weight gain.

The Klonopin stops the slight seizure activity in the brain and allows for normal sleep patterns. I get 8 hours of restful sleep and awaken refreshed and ready to go.

Love, Mikie