Bench approval at SSd hearing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klo, Jun 10, 2006.

1. klo

klo New Member

and I can not express the stress and load off my shoulders.I began this journey in July of 04. I was denied twice. I saw two different attys. who would not take my case because my remuy who digonsed Rhematoid Arthritis and fibromyalgia, felt they were not severe enough to prevent me from working full time.He acually said to me "NO ONE SAID LIFE WAS EASY JUST SUCK IT UP!Thankfully my Primary PC belived I was diabled enough to support my ssd claim. I hired ALLSUP in Dec 05 when I filed an appeal for a ALJ hearing.In May 06 I finally got a hearing date. In the course of the 1 and a half yrs. it took to get the hearing allsup contacted my drs. and the ssd. hearings office every 2 months for up dates on my case.I was so nervous going into that hearing I thought I was going to throw-up. The judge introduced himself,the court reporter,ss doctor, and a votech person. The first question he asked was How old are? I said 53, no I mean 52. He said 52 thats what I have.He asked about previous jobs, and I explained how I had been fired from my last job because of a poor job performance review. I was on Fmla protection from missing work because of my illness but they found other reasons to let me go after 9 years.He asked a couple more questions about that job and seemed rather angry about the way I had been treated. He then went to the Medial Dr. and asked for his obinion and he mumbled a few sentences I didnt understand and then asked the vo tech guy if there were any jobs I could do and he NO! He then asked my attorney, up until had not had to speak if she objected to a bench approval. she said no and looked at me and said we can go. The judge thanked me for coming in and wished me well.When we got in the hall I wasnt sure what had happened and my attny. said YOU WON!! I started crying with joy, we wer'nt in there 15 min. I would recemend allsup to anyone needing help with SSD.Does anyone have a time frame on how long it usually takes to process the approval and you start getting monthly checks and the back pay?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2006]
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Congratulations!!! I know you are so relieved and now have this burden lifted from you. I really don't think I know what a bench approval is; or maybe I have asked before; not sure.

Anyway, I have not been to court at this point so can't help you with checks and back pay.

Take care and again, I'm very happy for you,

BlueSky555
  3. borntired

borntired New Member

God Bless you!

Tears came to my eyes when I read this. The relief you must feel. Good for you!!!!

I am waiting now for 2 1/2 years and hope and pray to be where you.

Good luck.

Borntired
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

So glad to hear of your approvel!! what a lifted burden!! I know exactly how you feel! been through all that! It took about 2or3 weeks to get a fully favorable letter in the mail! and then it was only 1 week for checks starting to arrive!............................................hope it goes fast for you!! take care!! sisland
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Kudos to you!! I received a "bench approval" also and probably got a retro or "radio active" check from the Feds about six weeks latter. You should rec. a letter from Soc. Sec. with formal approval and explanation of how the funds will be distributed in the weeks ahead.

Maybe you will celibrate by buying all us good friends of yours a Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers!! I'm real happy for you!!!
    MRDAD
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I'm so happy for you!

I just got approved myself after 2 denial's.

i fired my attorney, who acted like he didn't believe me and gave me a hard time because I couldn't drive to his office!

I got an advocate who use to work for SS and we did it!:)

It is a load off, one less thing to stress over.:)

Congradulation's,

claudia
  7. lynnpete310

lynnpete310 New Member

Friends,

Like KLO, I'm working with Allsup, but did not hire them. My private DI company (Standard) hired them so that SSD payments can offset the total amount they pay. They seem very thorough. So far, I just tell the truth, try not to let my pride in working hard keep me from getting care, and focus on healing.

Our next step is a hearing, and I'm nervous, too. This is my first time on this site, and it's good but exhausting.

Anyone have experience in this Allsup-as-third-party scenario? Thanks!

TTFN,

L
  8. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

I SO know how you feel. I also won at bench hearing in March of last year. In & out also in 15 min. I cried all the way back to the car, the stress is just so bad, & you don't realize it till you win! It's a load off the shoulders. I'm thrilled for you :) Really!! I got an "official" letter in about 2 weeks from SS. I had my back pay first (my attorney told me that's how it usually works, atleast for my state).I believe it was about 3 weeks after winning at bench trial. I started getting regular monthly checks about another 2 weeks after that. You will have SOMETHING w/in a month. So don't stress too much about it. You should get your medicare pretty quick since it's been 2 years for you already (atleast I think thats what you wrote). If not, once 2 years hits from the time you filed, you'll get it.
    As far as taxes next year when it comes time, there is a form that you can get that will let you break up the back pay for income to the years in the past that you filed. I got around 13,000 back pay after attorney, & we owed nothing at all. In fact, we got back like $100 on our taxes (no children) this year. Just wanted to throw that in there so you would have an idea how that works. The IRS will help you over the phone too w/ questions, forms, etc. Again, congrats! Have a drink for all of us, especially the ones that are on pain meds that can't have anything!! LOL Best Wishes....
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

yipee..now it will take a couple of months to get the money in the mail...i do reccomend...that you get direct deposit...

and if you have children entitled to any ssdi paymentst you will need to go to your local office...fill out paperwork..do so immediately...

jodie