Bender, you inspired me to put up some of my artwork...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wish_to_be_healthy, Oct 24, 2006.

1. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

This is a piece I'd did as a student for a theatre rendering class, back '91...the original is John Singer Sargent's "Portrait of Mrs. Joseph Chamberlain"...It was taken from a B&W photo in a book, which I graphed and enlarged. Charcoal...underglass, that is why there is a white spot on her sleeve, from the flash reflecting back.

Suz
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

That is really well done, Suz. Especially with all those elaborate folds in the dress.

What is a 'Theatre rendering class'?, And to what size did you enlarge it.

You should definitely do more - do you like working in charcoal best?

I'm so glad that you were inspired to start anew.
  3. wish_to_be_healthy

It was a class for theater designers...My emphasis was costumes, but I did also do some renderings for class projects in set design too. I wrote a bit more on the other board...

It was originally about a 4 by 7 inch photo in a book, I enlarged it to 8" by 14"...I had it matted and put in a frame.

I am working on my older son's halloween costume...He wanted to be a Renaissance youth...I was inspired to get going on some of this stuff.

I haven't made a period costume for many years...so this is fun, but tiring.

Thanks!

Suz

4. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi- thank you for sharing your wonderful drawing. Very detailed work with the dress and all.

I want to learn to draw and worked on it and watercolors too. But my first love is stained glass.

Please show us more, I would love to see the halloween costume-Carla
  5. wish_to_be_healthy

I love to draw...I'd like to try my hand at piecing and soldering a stained glass piece at some point.

I have also thought about doing some fabric art, like a pieced quilt with bright colors...actually, my grandma taught me how to quilt one summer up at her farm...a nine patch, on her old singer treadle...She started the whole sewing/design thing for me.

She was my Heart growing up! I miss her greatly.

Suz
  6. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

Your pic is great.

Could have used you a couple of years ago when my skinny, curly red headed grandson was in the play, The King and I, at our local theater. He had his head shaved for this.

He was the kings son[ can't remember how to spell it].

Anyway the costumes were awful. He had 10 or more costume changes and my dau and I spent days trying to make them more conforming to the play and still not destroy the rentals. We spent a lot of money on someone elses property.

Finally found some great jewlry for the costumes in my sisters large collection of vintage jewlry. Worked great for a kings son.

A good costume designer is worth their weight in gold.

Wren
  7. abcanada

abcanada New Member

You're a very gifted artist!!! Laura
  8. Callum

Callum New Member

Are you still designing costumes, Suz?
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

That is just beautiful...you're very talented. Wow!!

Hugs,

Nancy B
  10. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

You are very talented.
  11. wish_to_be_healthy

I had done some work at the Guthrie in 89-91 interning in costumes, then assiting in the soft props dept creating armour pieces for the "Histories", 3 Shakespeare plays...also I worked down in the dye room.

I was accepted to Carneige Mellon to fo an MFA, deffered for a yr, because of health, then had to let it go, because I just was too sick.

I am not doing thearte anymore...I tried again when I first moved out to CA, but it was hard with the uncertanty of how I would feel from day to day...also "the show must go on", deadlines...working with other folks who maybe cram at the last minute to get their work done, was impossible for me.

Sadly, theatre has been something that has succumed to this disease.

That isn't to say that I haven't done other creative projects...Right now I am working on my son's Renaissance halloween costume...He was so wowed by the fair that he wanted me to make him a costume. He wants to wear it out to the Renaissance Fair next Aug/Sept up here.

I used to do bridal also...but again, that is a timeline, and stressful.

Maybe I'll do some hats, or little purses with great fabrics...Maybe I'll go back to drawing...I did life drawing in CA for a while.

I know that when I haven't created art for awhile I don't feel like "Me".

Callum, how are you able to keep acting with this illness? Acting was something I had to give up at the beginging, because I was so fatigued, and couldn't remeber my lines anymore...I'd like to know more about what you do : )

Thanks again...I appriecate it : )

Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2006]
  12. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Boy you can't just type that namr out quick.
    Hey, about your artwork, "NOW WE"RE TALKING DETAIL"

I left earlier yesterday if you couldn't tell, and I come back and look. I love ruffled clothes, drapes, so on.

Nice job, but don't blame me. I just put up my artwork so you wouldn't have to look at me.

I'm thinking about when I'm sitting here, mabye doing a self portrait. It's been a while since I've done that. I've aged alot since this DD.

Nice job again
    Dan
  13. wish_to_be_healthy

...Yea, the name is a bit hard to type out...

You can call me Suz...easier to type ; )

A self portrait...that would be a good project to try...I don't think I've done one since high school...Graduated in 82...that was a lifetime ago.

I'd like to work with some middle toned paper like your drawing, and play more with the highlights like you did...I usually work with basic white paper, and charcoal, or achromatic chalks (B/G/W)

Nice meeting you...Dan, Bender!

Suz
  14. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

That is a really beautiful Picture, Good job hope to see more from you.

Love to all, Ann
  15. wish_to_be_healthy

I'll get a picture up of my son in his costume when it is finished...

I have to agree with Dan on the other thread, it would be nice to have someone come in to help, so I can do these things that feed my soul, and have time to be with my kids...I need to put up an advertisment/poster for someone to help me around the house.

Peace,

Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2006]
  16. Juloo

Juloo Member

I understand what you mean. I've loved costume history/design and the tech/management side of theatre for a long, long time. Although it wasn't my major, I took several production and design classes throughout undergrad and grad school. What a joy! It was such fun and so different from my much-more-technical major.

When my husband and I moved to the town we're in now, I met a director of a little theatre and did some costume and set design work for her. But that went by the wayside several years back. I just don't have the ability to do the huge-burst-of-energy deadline stuff that inevitably happens right before a production opens.

When I miss it too much, I sit down with my collection of costume history books and do some reading. Then I get a bit of reminder about what I enjoyed. I've done a couple of costumes for my son for school things, but I have to be really careful about giving away my energy and time.

Your sketch is beautiful. Makes me want to dig up some of my portfolio stuff and remember how fun it all was!
  17. windblade

windblade Active Member

It sounds really intriguing to be designing a Renaissance costume for your son. I love the Renaissance Fair, and always get a high from the costumes.

I wish the U.S. had more of that kind of festival, as Europe and South America does.

Do you like the Venetian masks and costumes?

All that richness is so good for the imagination.

This is so interesting, hearing about your art!
  18. carebelle

carebelle New Member

how lovely you are so talented. please share more pictures when you can
  19. mindbender

mindbender New Member

does my pic appear blurry on your screen or is it just mine?

it may be a pixel thing

thank you
    Dan
  20. Scapper

Scapper New Member

WONDERFUL!!!!

How great it is that you have something that feeds your soul. It's really nice to hear that you've managed to still "create" even though you cannot do all you once did!!!

I would love to see your son's costume too :)

scapper