Benefits of assistance dog for CFIDS/FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Friends,
    I just have to tell you what a difference my new assistance dog has made in my life.

I live in the mountains and am pretty home bound. I was beginning to fall and my legs were giving out on me. I got a Lab/Golden mix from Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue. They tried to match a dog to my needs, and they did a superb job. I named my dog Elsa, after the lioness in the movie "Born Free".

Elsa has changed my life. I now have a lot more confidence when I'm out, and she is so intuitive (even though I have only been trainng her for a month), that I feel safe, and cared for. I don't feel so alone any more.

This has really helped my disposition. I'm not so depressed any more. I even find myself singing - something I have rarely done in my life.

I'm telling you this to encourage those of you who have been considering getting a service dog, to do so. I wish I could really explain the change in my life, but words just aren't enough.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank those who gave me suggestions and information. It was so good to find out that I could do this myself, and that we are protected by the law.

I thank God, and you, too. This is wonderful.

Big, big, hugs,
    Terry

2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

That's great that your service dog is such a help to you. Animals are amazing in what they can do and are such a blessing in our lives.

Ellen
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Wow! That's great I'm so happy for both of you, that you found each other. Have many wonderful years together :)
    Dee50
  4. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

What a nice story Terry. I have two toy poodles but they are not rescue dogs. They have me trained. I would be so lonely without them. There is nothing like a pet to keep you company. Having a working dog is even better. Good for you.
    hugs, poodlemum
  5. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

What a blessing Terry! And a great suggestion! Do you think there are service cats out there.....I am more of a cat person ! Just kidding.
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

To answer your question - yes, there are helping cats.

Of course, I don't know if there are any in this country. In Asia, Siamese are trained as guard cats. I wonder if they can be trained for anything else? :)

This would be a good topic for Animal Planet. LOL
    Hugs,
    Terry

7. buddylee

buddylee New Member

get my pug regester as an assistance dog. so I could take her everywere. She helped my depression like no pill could!
  8. rigby

rigby New Member

I have a Golden Retriever mix I adopt from a shelter he has no training but he walks beside me on the stairs and other areas as if he knows I need his back to help me and body for guidance. He is great. Sharon
  9. hob

hob New Member

Two years ago my mom got me a little chihuahua mix and I have to say she has been my angel. She knows when her mom doesn't feel good and snuggles in, but when I am having a good day she is right there ready for a walk :) I would suggest getting a therapy pet to anyone with an chronic illness the constant love and companionship is amazing. Congrats on your new buddy!