Benefits of exercise with FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stormieblonde, Sep 2, 2005.

1. stormieblonde

stormieblonde Member

When your entire body hurts, sometimes the last thing you want to do or even think about is exercise. This way of thinking can be detrimental when it comes to living with Fibromyalgia Syndrome.
    Living with Fibromyalgia is not easy. An attack can come unexpectedly, with little or no warning. The pain takes on many forms, so many that at times it is hard to distinguish FM pain from something that may need prompt medical attention.
    Sometimes pain can come shortly after physical activity. When this happens it’s natural to want to blame the pain on that activity, causing you to hesitate exercising again in the future. But it is important to keep in mind that exercise is one of the key elements to managing FM.
    Numerous studies have proven that consistant, low impact, moderate intensity exercise, along with a healthy diet and decreased stress levels, are the best ways to prevent the pain and fatigue that comes with Fibromyalgia.
    The brain releases feel good endorphins and serotonin when you exercise, which keeps your mood lifted, allowing you to think realistically and logically. When a fibro-attack starts to rear its ugly head, you are less likely to let that pending attack take over if stress is at a minimum.
    The type of exercise is not as important as just plain doing it. Each case of FM is unique. Some Fibromyalgia sufferers can run or jog with no pain, some can get by with light stretching or water aerobics. One is no better than the other. The important thing is that you pick what works for you and stick to it.
    If you need help discovering what works for you, consider enlisting the help of a personal trainer or physical therapist who is familiar with Fibromyalgia.
    For more information, check out [url removed as per rules]
    Click on fibromyalgia on the left hand side.
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I've suffered from fibromyalgia for 42 years. During that time I've done everything imaginable for this sickness.

The only exercise my doctor recommends is walking and light Yoga. Anything more is too much for fibromyalgia patients in his opinion.

I've done less and I've done more, and times I'm at my best is when I'm doing nothing but walking and light Yoga.

abbylee
  3. Tiels

Tiels New Member

Tai Chi-chi and Ydan stretches. Some days though, I can't even handle this. ButYou h ave to keep it up, so hard at times :(