Benefits of ginger to us all

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JoFMS, Mar 12, 2008.

1. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi All,

I drink a cup of fresh ginger tea every morning as was advised of it's benefits for nausea and digestion. Since then I have looked at other benefits and thought it would be beneficial to all of us to have a cup of ginger tea every morning!

This is what I've read:
    Can prevent migraines
    Aids digestion
    Prevents nausea and vomiting
    Contians a chemical that can dissolve parasites and their eggs
    can kill cold viruses
    can act as an analgesic
    can help allergies and asthma
    ingibits chemicals that can cause imnflammation
    can even act as an aprodisiac
    can help stress
    amongst many more

I found this information on a website prescription for herbs or something like that where laborartory tests have been done on ginger, it's not just an old wives tale!

I make my ginger tea every dy by cutting about 1 inch of fresh ginger root and slicing it and then just letting it steep in boiling water for about 10 mins. The stronger the better and it's simple to do.

Just thought I would share it with you as I think it is helping some symptoms of mine as I drink it every day.
  2. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

its good for pain too i believe, whenfeeling better and able to do the right thing diet wise I too drink ginger in hot water, its really good

Thanks for reminding us also if you leave the sliced ginger in a little water from the tea and drink it later it can be really strong i find it yum

angel hugs and blessings

3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

thanks for posting this....I have a lot of problems lately with nausea and I have always had migraines so maybe I will give this a try:)

4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

many preganant women are advised to give that a try first i believe of course like everything it works for some and not others

Hope you are keeping well lovey

angel hugs and blessings
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2008]
  5. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

If I don't have the ginger tea I feel very sick and nauseus every morning.

All I do is buy a piece of fresh ginger root, cut an inch off and peel it, slice or grate it into a mug and pour boiling water onto it and leave for about 10 mins if you can, the stronger the better. You can then take the ginger out and just drink the water or leave in so it steeps as you drink it.

If you like rooibos tea then you can also add the same quantity of ginger to the tea and leave in for 10 mins or in any tea I suppose. I drink rooibos coz its naturally caffeine free and full of antioxidants.

Ginger is very good for the stomach and bowel problems too and some say it can even prevent cancer if drunk enough.

I hope this helps some of you.
  6. amyespretties

amyespretties New Member

if you grate it in your hot bath water also. Or you can grate it and put it in an old piece of t-shirt or something thin and tie it or rubberband it, this way your tub does'nt get all messy.

LISALOO New Member

Love ginger, use it for motion sickness and when my tummy isn't so great. I read how great it was for pregnant women, so I thought I would try it for my sick stomach.

Found a great chewable ginger, most I found to be too hot.

Didn't know some of the other benefits so thank you.
  8. kbak

kbak Member

One of the things I've done with ginger is grate it into raw honey. I grate ginger into a bowl and mix the raw honey with it, then put it into the blender and blend.

Then I stain it into a jar. The straining takes the fiber out. So now you get the benefit of raw honey with the ginger and tastes sooooooo good!

9. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I would think the benefits not as great as there is sugar, root of ginger is the best me thinks and you can control the ginger taste, also you can chill it and then sip it during the day as part of your water intake requiredment

good luck

angel hugs and blessings

10. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

What about taking ginger capsules? Would it give the same benefits other than it's not a hot drink?

11. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

me thinks, REAL ginger in hot or cold water BEAUTIFUL.....

angel hugs
  12. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I had some ginger tea today and wow did I have to pee! Like 5 times before I even finished the (large) mug. Low and behold I checked and ginger is a potent diuretic. Be forewarned!
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I love the way it tastes and it does help my digestion when it needs it. My doctor told me to drink ginger tea with honey when I had a bad cold.

Sometimes I use the fresh ginger, which is best, but recently didn't have any and couldn't get to the store so I used powdered ginger. It's not quite as good but still not bad.
  14. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I'm confused. Is root of ginger different from the ginger you use to cook with?

Or can I buy the yellow ginger with the brown rind....Is taht the stuff u are talking about?
  15. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

as a joint pain reliever. It fights inflammation.

16. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I used to hate the smell of ginger ..............Until my hubby started ccoking with it!

Now we have it EVERY day along with fresh garlic in almost all the food we eat!

I have to say I have never had a cold or flu for years!

I think it is because of these two foods that I have been well for so long!!

I may stink but I am sssoooooooooooooo healthy lol!!

17. quanked

quanked Member

18. hi all,

i have been drinking pre boiled water,that has gone cold,and has a piece of ginger root in it,that was left to steep for over 1 hour.i can report that it is helping me with gut problems,so id say its helping with inflamation of the gut.

on occasions i will also grate a piece of ginger root over the meat that i have with a cooked dinner,or even a salad.

i have noticed that warts on my face,near my eye,seem to reduce in size not sure if this is normal for warts,or if the ginger is causing it.

i had one week that i had no ginger root at all,the warts seemed like they always do.then when i started the ginger root again,the warts seemed smaller.

i do believe that we have gut issues,but im not sure if its parasitic,i hope it isnt.i think its more that our intestines are inflamed due to food intolerances/allergies.i know my stomach muscles will twitch internally on occasions,and then ill have projectile vomiting.this hasnt happened as much since ive gone on to have goats milk in my tea/coffee,and on cerials.

i gave up on the soya milk as the projectile vomiting started up again,then stopped when i stopped the soya.

work or family stress can also make my stomach muscles go into spasm,and its just a case of trying to calm down and rest a bit.

i met up with my sister this past weekend and she told me that she,s having issues with irritable bowel syndrome.

she,s having body chills,depression,stomach muscle spasms,and has the bloated stomach with ibs.

ive told her that i think our main problems are that we are extremely sensitive to things in food,,you know artificial colours,preservatives and all the rest of our guts get inflamed.

then as we sleep our body probably doesnt get into the correct sleep mode,as it is tormented by stomach gripping pain and spasm/wind.and as we are in some sort of sleep,and arent aware of these pain,s,we then wake up with a totally fatigued body that was prevented from getting into the correct sleep.but we then have to try and do our daily chores and get worn out more.

ill write more on what im doing to help myself,when i have more off to work soon.

take care all,love fran
  19. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Infact i seem to crave it sometimes. Being on a gluten free diet i'm so limited in many things.

That why i was thrilled when i found these great ginger candies at the health food store.

They are REED's Ginger Candy, all natural ginger and raw sugar cane, wrapped in rice paper inside.
    They are sweet and spicey, just love, love them!

I called the company to check and they are gluten-free.

P.S. sometimes i've dropped on into my decaf. green tea.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2008]