Benefits of Grape Seed Extract?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by anchor, Mar 28, 2013.

1. anchor

anchor Member

Hi,

Could someone please remind me the benefits of taking GSE?

I took it several years back and want to start up again.

Dosage? Would love to hear others' experiences too.

Thank you,

Lisa.
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

for me this Sept on Grape Seed, Actualy 1 yr on Pycnogenol and then 16.5 yrs on grape seed ex..

The FIRST THING for me to go was allergy/sinus/headaches...gone never to return...

I just feel better overall re: immune system.

I'll bump up article by PH from their library...

I take 200-400mg per day....

If you are really slight in weight, 100-200mg per day
    would be OK. jam
  3. anchor

anchor Member

Thanks for the info, I read through the article- very interesting and I'm certain this will help me once again.

I chimed in on your post....did you have any cholsterol benefit?

Lisa.
  4. jaminhealth

and have been taking Grape Seed Ex long before I got annual labs, but even now with labs, all is good...so could have been helping me all these yrs. jam

PS: There is info out there on the cholesterol myth, so who knows, perhaps our cholesterol levels are good anyway...one book I have The Heart Revolution, the author talks about homocysteine being the culprit for heart disease..... My doc checks my homo levels some yrs.

So many theories out there.
  5. jaminhealth

Thinking about this Cholesterol "word" I can't ever recall hearing this word during my parents life and they ate all the fats and meats, everything.....there were no labs back then, of course...they lived long lives.

The cholesterol scare is huge business for stain industry...huge. Just thinkin and sayin.....jam

Also, my main reason for starting on Pycnogenol was that it "MAY" prevent cancer, same goes with grape seed ex...so far so good....no guarantees to anything but I'm having faith in this antioxidant.[This Message was Edited on 04/02/2013]
  6. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

At this time there is not conclusive evidence that Pycnogenol can effectively prevent cancer. (see link below for details)
    http://www.cancerquest.org/cancer-prevention-pycnogenol.html

Lots of Benefits (including cholesterol) and few side Effects of Pycnogenol :
    http://www.zhion.com/herb/Pycnogenol_Benefits_Side_Effects.html
  7. jaminhealth

research hospitals are using grape seed ex in their labs...I found some sites while doing a search for:

grape seed extract and cancer

could do same search for:

pycnogenol and cancer

What is conclusive out there....
  8. jaminhealth

I surely don't do much sugar coating with my comments...I say what I believe and feel about stuff that works for me and my life....and hope it will help others...

Do you deal with both FM/CFS and anything else?

I'm doing so much better with Anatabloc, wish it were more affordable for others to give it a go...
  9. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I'm all for people speaking freely, it helps get info out into the open.
    Feel free to speak openly Leah, I know jam does and so do I, no worries at all, in fact it's very refreshing. It helps each of us make decisions about what may work for us and why something isn't working for us. We're all different in our individual health needs.

Regarding research in hospitals using grape seed ex in their labs. Yes they are, unfortunately although some tests show positive outcomes in vitro sadly many fail to translate into the human model. They are trying many different angles to see if they can find a way of making the transition into the human model but we are so very very complex and it's quite difficult science to isolate the necessary variable(s) when they are billions of variables to consider.

I know I am desperate for a cure for Leukaemia, I've tried GSE and pine bark extract but neither made any difference to attacking the Leukaemia nor improving my general health. They did cause thin blood as a result of reducing platelets too much so I was forced to stop using them, as unfortunately many other people have found in their desperate bid to beat cancer, Leukaemia etc.
  10. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Thank you.
  11. jaminhealth

www.claritycarnosineeyedrops.com/

I also besides grape seed ex take Lutein & Bilberry daily and Eyebright too...

I don't want any surgery including cataract.

Another new antioxidant being touted for eye support is
    Asthaxathin (sp) but I'll correct it when I find it....

Here it is, I don't take it but down the road who knows...I
    just don't want any surgery...

The Benefits of Astaxanthin,
    Nature's Strongest Antioxidant

[This Message was Edited on 04/04/2013]
  12. jaminhealth

Ah, here is my favorite topic...all is not lost...just bumping up for new people...jam
  13. deepak

deepak Member

So I had ordered a 400 mg GSE bottle , thanks to Jam speaking so highly of it. I had not started taking it and it was just sitting unopened.

The other day I felt a cold coming on or some kind of allergy and I decided to try the GSE. In a couple of hours after taking it the cold/allergy vanished. I was quite amazed.

But I was reading an article on overdoing antioxidants that has me a little worried. Does anyone have any comments on this ? Am pasting the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/o...ted=2&_r=1&ref=general&src=me&pagewanted=all&

Love to all.
    deepak
  14. jaminhealth

Well, Deepak, I don't know if we can take too many antioxidants, BUT I often wonder had my grandkids' dad taken antioxidants would he be dealing with the horrible cancer he is going thru.

I don't get sick and I can thank the antioxidants I take for that one.

We'd have to eat a LOT of fruits and veggies to get enough antioxidants, and all clean and pesticide free I believe.
  15. jaminhealth

On this subject, I was talking to my gf who started on Pycnogenol a month before me, and at that lecture, we were told it "may" prevent cancer...she has since converted to grape seed extract too...

Anyway, one of her co worker's mother is going thru massive cancer struggle, with a breast removed first and now the cancer has spread to other parts of her body, she is in her 50's.....I was thinking I bet that woman took no powerful antioxidants, maybe 1-2% of the population does...

Big pharma certainly does NOT push it.

This is all my opinions and no guarantees to anything....
  16. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I take both Grape Seed Extract and Pine Bark Extract. I have definite proof that Pine Bark Extract helps reduce LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol. Taking too much of these two reduced my platelets too much and caused nose bleeding (as blood tests confirmed), so yes it is possible to take too many anti-oxidants.

I have Leukemia so why am I take them ? To ensure I get a decent dose of anti-oxidants into my body as some days I am restricted by what I am able to eat.

Do they do stop cancer, leukemia ? Don't know is the answer. If they do contribute to stopping DNA damage (which causes some cancers) then yes they would help stop some cancers forming.
  17. jaminhealth

Bumping up again for NEW folks and reminders to the oldtimers here....no coughing, colds, flu, bronchil conditions here and I KNOW grape seed ex is a saving grace of a supp.