Benzene Levels in Soft Drinks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mme_curie68, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

FDA published a response to the Environmental Working Groups assertions that benzene forms at unsafe levels in soft drinks containing Ascorbic Acid and Sodium or potassium benzoate as preservatives.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2006/NEW01355.html

Basically, what they're saying is that the results obtained in their own study that the EWG used for data to make this contention to FDA may be due to faulty methodology - their own.

I can vouch as a chemist that if you do not test samples properly, you can end up with artificially high data due to sample degradation from the test itself. It is possible, although their own language smacks of "coverup".

What FDA is saying is that their labs are examining the issue to try to remove the possible interference of the test itself causing the ascorbate and benzonates to react and produce benzene.

But they aren't publishing any data yet either - which tells me it is a much more complex problem and don't want to get egg on their face again by publishing faulty data.

I'll keep posting any info. I come across.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

The Adderall is still working. Some days are better than others.

The 3rd and 4th weeks I was on it were just in the morning.
    Then I got my period - and back to "sleepyland".

Popped out of it for another week, then this week following the Easter holiday I'm back on 3x/day dosing.

The nice thing about the Adderall is that it is very short acting. The immediate release formulation goes right out of you within a few hours.

Am I worried about long-term effects? Not really at this point.

First, because my brain chemistry has been screwed-up for my entire life - I had chronic depression from the age of 9 on.

Then I self-medicated by abusing alcohol from about 14 to 28. Can't tell you how many liver cells and brain cells I killed doing that.

I was diagnosed bipolar about 7 years ago. Believe me when I tell you that I have been on many oh so many drug combinations to keep that in check and find the ones that work best for me. It's one of the reasons (besides what I do for a living) that I know so much about alot of the psychiatric drugs and their effects - lots of firsthand experience (LOL)!

The dose of Adderall is so small - smaller than an ADHD dose. But it has given me back a much greater quality of life. I am able to go out and participate again and not just crawl into bed as soon as I get home from work.

I know what you mean about letting the energy carry you away into a fatigue flare - generally on the weekend, I don't take the Adderall at all - and boy, I could just sleep and sleep.

Life is too short. I got a second chance at it when I was 28 years old and got sober. I should not be alive today but for the grace of God.

FM has been another hurdle, but I am going to do everything in my power to fight it.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

This clarifies Fight's post. Where the Benzene is coming from.

My DH always said, "Beware of anything that ends in zene, including meds!!!"

You are so smart with these informative posts. Thanks.

Love Anne C

4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Copper metal in the presence of oxygen turns green - that's the first thing that popped in my head...otherwise I have no idea, but I know that my tongue can very weird-colored (yellowy greenish)sometimes when I'm sick.

Bacteria and fungi can cause colored growth. Maybe you have a localized infection...do you remember the story in the news about the polar bear that had an algae infestation in his fur that turned him green? They had to "bleach" him back to white with hydrogen peroxide.

Try gargling with hydrogen peroxide 3% solution (brown bottle, first aid aisle) after you brush your teeth - if it worked for the polar bear it might help you...
    Hugs,
    Madame Curie