Best Allergy Medicine??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wineToU2, Jun 21, 2003.

1. wineToU2

wineToU2 New Member

Can someone recommend a good allergy medicine?? My eyes have been burning, itching and tearing. My nose is congested and sinus headache. I have been using Allegra with no relief.
    What has helped everyone here??
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

The one that helped me the most made me much
    too tired - Zyrtec.

I currently use Rhinocort AQ nasal spray. This is
    very good. I was on Claritin D but it made my heart
    race so now I have nothing but the Rhinocort.
    I was thinking of asking for clarinex.

I also have allergic conjuctivitis and my eye dr.
    prescribed Alocril eye drops. They are very helpful.
    I also have those saline single use packs for my eyes.

I had such a horrible allergy headache last night.
    I got out my face heating pad and used it on my eyes
    and forehead. It can be useful for times like these.

Lynn
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

The one allergy medicine that I consistently find helps me is one of the oldest and safest on the market. It is known as PBZ, and I take the 100mg sustained release tablets. I have taken this rx for over 50 years. What you will want to do, if you choose to try it, is take it at bed time, as it can make you sleepy at first. I find this works the best for my symptoms too, as they are always worst early in the morning. I tell my doctor that I take it twice a day, but I usually only need it at night. It also helps to eat a little something with it, as it can upset an empty stomach. If this concerns you, try the 50mg coated tablets.
    Kate
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

has been Vistril. I had the Benedryl, but had a bad reaction to it. Sent me to the ER.
    My Brother's both take the Benedryl and have no problem with it at all.

My Son and D-I-l, both use the Claritin (sp?) and that helps them both.

Hope you find one that will help, it's miserable with the Histmine goes nut's. Do you FMS? That seems to be one of the big symptoms,

sincerely,
    kredca4
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I use ONE Benadryl. Two makes me too sleepy.
  6. klarry

klarry New Member

I've tried them all, and find that the best thing for me is to use Nasalcrom year round. My doctor assures me that this is safe. I spray once in the morning and once in the evening. Because it doesn't interfere with other medications, I feel that it is safe to use. The caveat is that it takes two weeks for the medication to take effect.