Best antiviral herbs/vitamins/treatments?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Mar 5, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

It seems we have a lot of new people. I still consider myself new! I have only been on these boards since Oct. but there just seems to be a lot of new names.

I think everyone has different opinions but what do you think are the best antiviral herbs or treatments? Please be specific such as dosage you take.

For me...I think Proboost-(3 times a day) and hopefully the AV, Valtrex-(4 grams a day) but I haven't seen any change yet.

I know a lot of people like Transfer Factor but I have been taking 3 a day for three weeks now and I never experienced any type of immune response which makes me think they did not work for me:([This Message was Edited on 03/05/2006]
  2. CinCA

CinCA New Member

As your post seems to indicate a more chronic viral condition, but I have two supplements that have helped me with more acute stuff, like colds and flu. One is elderberry, which my doctor told me reduces viruses' ability to replicate, and which I have heard mentioned on the board before.

Another is a supplement I get from my doctor (Genestra brand, called "Allisyn") that smells and tastes horrible but is a mix of cinnamon and garlic. I take that and a liquid vit. A supplement. Again, they are quite noxious, but they do seem to knock whatever it is out when I get that scratchy throat, etc. My doctor said this is how he gets through each cold/flu season.

For a more chronic situation, like EB, etc., I'm not sure if these would be appropriate, but I wanted to mention them anyways. Hope you get more useful information from other posters, too.

Good luck!
    C.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2006]
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

I was talking about viruses that affect CFS or Fibro.

Thanks stormskye--I printed out that long post and it is in my files-you always have such great info:)
  4. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

Jane,

There are lots of nutritional and supplement products that are worth trying to knock down viruses. You may find something that works for you-- just keep your "ear to the ground" and listen to what others have learned through hard experience.

My first suggestion:

If your problem has an EBV or CMV connection you might look into monolaurin (lauric acid).

Monolaurin is a natural food substance, specifically the monoester of the fatty acid lauric acid (lauric acid is also found in coconut oil-- one of the reasons coconut oil is geting such a fan club these days).

Monolaurin has been shown to dissolve the lipid envelope (outer coat) of lipid-enveloped viruses (it will not work against "naked" viruses like the cold virus).

Without its protective coat the virus will disintegrate and be unable to infect cells.

It also knocks out other pathogens like yeast. But it is not toxic and is supposedly even beneficial to bowel health.

It so happens that the virus that causes the flu, as well as EBV, and CMV, i.e. (herpes virus types) are lipid enveloped.

So monolaurin has potential to be one of the most powerful antiviral weapons in our "arsenal" for regaining health.

It is distributed by some supplement manufacturers.

Cheers.
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

I felt awful ont he valtrex for about three weeks when I first started it. Then when I uped my does I was sick for about 2-3 days with a stuffy nose and fever.

This last month I felt pretty bad but the past four days were pretty good. Wehn I have good days-60-70% I don't feel sick but I still feel fatigued like a dark shadow over me is the only way I can describe it. My mind feels clear and all and I am not feverish but I still feel fatigued but at least I can carry a conversaion and do errands and work off my computer. It is juist so weird.

I just come down with my fever cycle today-I swear it is just like clockwork for me. I will have it for about 10 days.

I go to the FFC Dr. tomorrow so we will see what he thinks I need to do next. I am adding the Liv-52 this week and the diflucan next week and then I think I am on everything the FFC wants me to be on.

How long have you been on the Valtrex now? I am sure the IV's probably make you feel pretty crumy too!

I just changed my diet around so my tummy seems to be very happy with me!