best antiviral substitute for Valtrex?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elaine_p, Jul 28, 2003.

1. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I might be borrowing trouble here, but picked up more Valtrex samples from my doc today and they'd only found enough for a week.

Since I see him next week, I'd like to know of the best alternative, since I cannot afford the $270 or $370 a month it would cost if he weren't giving me samples. (I've been on it for 3 months and would hate to have the time go to waste....)

I know Mikie is on Famvir and she likes that. And I saw somewhere else that Tagamet is actually an antiviral, or at least can be used as one.

If you've had success with an antiviral, please let me know. If you haven't had luck with one, please let me know that too! Thanks!
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

The best antiviral for me is the Olive Leaf Extract. I'm sure you've read about it here before. I have a herpes simplex and was given acyclovir for preventative medicine. I chose not to take them and had more outbreaks. Since I've started taking OLE, I have not had one outbreak!! I love it. And since I was supposed to take the Acyclovir every day, I take the OLE every day instead. And the best part is it costs me only about $20 a month at one pill a day.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I tried it just to see if there were a cheaper substitue for the Famvir. Yikes! It really made me sick.

Guess I'm either stuck paying a lot for my health insurance or a lot for the Famvir.

Love, Mikie
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Thanks Debbie. OLE is on my list of things to try, but I'd forgotten that it has antiviral properties!

And thanks Mikie. When I mentioned Tagamet to the pharmacist he called it "dirty" (it interacts with lots of things), but Valtrex doesn't. Maybe I'll ask him for more info before next week.

Though if OLE works just as well as prescription meds, I'd probably just as soon take that.

Any more input is welcome!
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I recommend that you try OLE, as there are only positive effects to be realized if you don't have any allergies to it..but start at a low dose (l50mg-200mg), initially, so herxing will be minimized..I don't see any downsides to using OLE..and have eliminated many longstanding symptoms..I think people should try it, to see how much better they can feel on it..

My question to you..I have not used prescription antivirals..In what way, have you improved on it? and how much better do you think you are compared to prior to its use...I have wondered if there are any downsides to its use..

Hope you do well on OLE (have a post on specific guidelines for its use, if interested)..

Good Luck,
    Plantscaper
  6. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I don't know how long it took me to get your name right, I always thought "scRaper" when I saw it.... It makes more sense when you see it right. :)

I have to say I don't know that I've improved by taking the Valtrex yet. Dr. Teitelbaum says you have to give it 4 months before feeling better (I've been on it 3), but he might have been talking about antibiotics instead.

I've herxed twice--at 4 weeks and 8 weeks, the 12-week mark passed--so it's apparently working on something. Since the second/last herx I've had moderate insomnia. (I'd say "severe", but the people who can't sleep at all, or who can't sleep 'til 4 a.m. would probably laugh at me.) And since the first week of July (the 9th week) my dang nap times have changed. I now need to lie down twice every day instead of once. I haven't had to do that since I first got sick, and I hope this is a short phase!

On the other hand, I *may* have more energy in the evenings than I did and I may have a little more energy overall. And several people say I look better.

I see my doc on Monday and if he has anything to say about the negative changes, I'll try to remember to let you know. (I'm going to ask him about Klonopin so hopefully that will help things.)
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Thanks for the info on the antivirals..

On OLE, You get positive results much sooner and the herxing, usually does not last but one to two weeks at the most..I think you will feel the above as you experience it..

Plantscaper

[ advertisement ]